Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87112
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon DX Line gets new flagship" Previous topic | Next topic
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Thu 21-Feb-13 03:41 AM
3987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
Thu 21-Feb-13 04:00 AM by flashdeadline

Havelock, US

It's official.
Nikon's new D7100 has been announced.
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/1513/D7100.html

Okay, so you guys tell me how Nikon manages to set this model up with higher megapixels, a larger monitor and a bunch of new features (in comparison to the D7000) and still make it retail for less than the D7000.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship
jbloom Gold Member
21st Feb 2013
flashdeadline Administrator
21st Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
21st Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
21st Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Feb 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
grizzly200
24th Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Feb 2013
snegron Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
grizzly200
24th Feb 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
robcran Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
2pixels_short Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
25th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
25th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
25th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Feb 2013

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 21-Feb-13 06:52 AM
6476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

You mean retail for less than the D7000 did when released in 2010? The street price of the D7000 now is about $900.

Some of this may be the weakening yen. Given Nikon's recent sales numbers, they may be cutting margins to the bone, too.

Either way, it's a happy thing for prospective D7100 buyers!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Thu 21-Feb-13 11:04 AM
3987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 21-Feb-13 02:06 PM by flashdeadline

Havelock, US

Shoulda, coulda, woulda
I should have been clearer. I could have clarified with an edit. And I would have fixed it -- but I fell asleep.

Thanks for the help Jon!

EDITED with update:

Check out the D7000/D7100 Forum if you want to join in on an active discussion weighing first impressions following the Nikon announcement.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 09:40 PM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I got real excited until I couldn't find the AF-ON button. Maybe a D300 replacement is close on its heels?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 10:34 PM
5959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 3

Tacoma, US

>I got real excited until I couldn't find the AF-ON button.
>Maybe a D300 replacement is close on its heels?

What about a 10 pin connector so you can use an L-bracket in portrait orientation and have your cable release connected. A PC-sync connector would be nice too.

So slap the D7100's inards in a D300s body and I think we're good to go! Maybe there is a business doing in that?

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 22-Feb-13 12:07 AM
8144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder Springs, US

LOL...yes. Im a little short in my review. I saw the lack of AF-ON and didn't even check anything else out......except the flash sync. It does sync at 1/250 and 1/320, so why didn't they put that in the D600?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Mon 25-Feb-13 03:13 AM
649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 5

Norwalk, US

>LOL...yes. Im a little short in my review. I saw the lack of
>AF-ON and didn't even check anything else out......except the
>flash sync. It does sync at 1/250 and 1/320, so why didn't
>they put that in the D600?

The D600's shutter has to travel 24 mm, not 16 mm, that's why.

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 01:53 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 3

Solano County, California, US

I don't like that control wheel on top.

James

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 24-Feb-13 02:44 AM
#10. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

I don't much either. The three kings are much more useful.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Fri 22-Feb-13 01:43 AM
1532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Very promising camera except for the 6 shot buffer issue. I am glad I still have my 17-55mm 2.8 AF-S DX!

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 02:57 AM
2159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Looks like the best DX Nikon yet.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sun 24-Feb-13 01:54 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 7

Solano County, California, US

I respectfully disagree.

James

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 24-Feb-13 03:09 PM
3389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 24-Feb-13 03:12 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<You mean retail for less than the D7000 did when released in 2010?>>

In the Uk it is identical to the launch price of the D7000 in 2010

<<I got real excited until I couldn't find the AF-ON button>>

Yes a real disappointment. I resent having to re-asign buttons like the AE/AF ON for an extra button which would have cost little to add.

<<What about a 10 pin connector so you can use an L-bracket in portrait orientation and have your cable release connected>>

Or so I can use my MC-36 for long exposure ND filter shots up to 2 minutes. Timer is no good, neither is the MC-DC2 Remote Cord as I need a countdown, not a stopwatch!

There is enough missing in my view, including total weatherproofing, to leave a space for a D400. It may be a flagship DX as Nikon's called it, but it's not a semi pro dSLR. I know that a semi pro will cost a large amount over the D7100, but I am guessing that many would willingly pay more for the extras. A DX in a D800 body with a 16Mp sensor would be on many folks wish list I'm sure

All that said it's a very fine camera for the money.
Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 09:45 PM
809 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 11

Westleigh, AU

Richard,

I could not agree more. I've been a D300 owner for close to 5 years because no worthy successor, except the D300s, has come along since. The D7100 for me is not a semi-pro camera. It lacks much of what the D300/s already has. I don't want all those scene modes as I shoot everything in RAW and edit later. I don't want a 36 MP D800 or an FX sensor in a D7000 body (D600). I want my three quick access buttons on top a la D300; and I want my AF-ON button, a reasonable buffer, and the 10 pin connector.

I am getting rather tired of waiting for a D300/s upgrade that is well and truly overdue. This and and marketing phrases like the D7100 being "the DX flagship" fill me with concern that Nikon has lost the plot at this level.

Robert
Sydney Nikonian

2pixels_short Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Mon 25-Feb-13 01:48 AM
878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

Found this information on NikonRumors. Seems the D7100 is not the "flagship" DX camera according to Nikon Europe.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/24/nikon-europe-the-d7100-is-not-positioned-to-replace-the-d300s.aspx

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 25-Feb-13 03:06 AM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 25-Feb-13 03:25 AM by ZoneV

US

Nikon most likely started developing the D400 back in 2008. Back then, it was likely a huge priority (second only to the D3 series and D7000), so they most certainly created it already. The natural disasters may have affected the timing, though. Nikon also may have decided to scrap the 16MP sensor and change it to 20-24MP a couple of years ago while in the final development stages. That's all I can think of to explain why it's not out yet.

But why would Nikon throw it all away and not make the camera after putting in so much money and energy over the last 4-5 years? I don't think they are going to just scrap the project. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe we'll see the D400 by the end of this year. I can't think of a body that would be a higher priority. The D7100 is brand new, the D600 is very new, the D800 and D4 are both still relatively new and not in need of "S" versions anytime soon. The D4x isn't needed urgently, as the D800 is taking that role for now. The D3300 isn't really needed, either (even though said camera is on a 1-1.5 year cycle, and the D3200 came out in April 2012). So, the D400 is the highest priority no matter how you look at it.

All I know is, there has always been one model lagging or non-existent in the lineup. In the mid 2000s, that was an FX body (there were none, while Canon had gone through several iterations already). In 2007 and 2008, it was a high-resolution FX body that was missing (the D3 was 12MP, and Canon already had two 21MP bodies and a 16MP one prior to them). From the beginning of 2009 to the beginning of 2012, it was a compact version of the D3x that was missing, until the D800 came out in early 2012 (Canon had a compact 21MP FX body since late 2008).

Now, it's a newer version of their compact DX flagship that's missing (there's no hope of a full size DX body anymore, imho). Canon has had an 18MP version for years now. The difference this time around is that neither the Canon nor the Nikon are very good at the very highest ISOs, unlike newer DX bodies. So, there is less pressure on Nikon to come out with the D400 as quickly. But, there are rumors that Canon will be coming out with a replacement for the 7D later this year. Nikon can't afford to give that market up.

The point is, Nikon seems to always be lacking one camera at any given time, presumably because one company can only come out with so many models in a given timeframe. Something has to give. This means the lack of a D400 could be right in line with their previous behavior. So, I'm not giving up hope, and nor should you (unless of course the D400 does not materialize by the end of this year).

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 25-Feb-13 11:45 AM
6476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 14

Wethersfield, US

In terms of the amount of griping it's causing, the state of affairs with the D300 reminds me of the period before the D3 was released. There was a long, and to observers outside of Nikon, inexplicable, period when the D2Xs was the top body Nikon had, even though it had fallen well behind in technology. When the D3 did come out, though, it blew everyone away, producing high-ISO performance that was revolutionary at the time.

The optimist in me wants to think a similar situation is happening now, where Nikon is preparing some ground-breaking technology that has delayed the development of the D400. When the D300 was originally announced, it was done in tandem with the D3. Maybe we will see a D400 and D5 announcement?

If there is something radically new in the offing, I doubt it would just be better sensor performance. I suspect we may be nearing the ceiling for that. But perhaps it is a new AF system that replaces the Multi-CAM 3500 system, which is over 5 years old. Or maybe an all-electronic shutter that doesn't exhibit the limitations of current electronic shutter technology. Or something more out-of-the-box.

How's that for a glass-half-full take on it?

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Feb-13 12:04 PM
3389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 17

Dyserth, GB

<<How's that for a glass-half-full take on it?>>

I applaud your optimism. That said I have a small wager on with a friend who has is forecasting what you say. That if a new semi pro, aka D400, does arrive, that it will have an all-electronic shutter. However, I am more cautious, as I still think it's a bit soon.

Isn't speculation great, as long as it's not taken too seriously

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 25-Feb-13 02:05 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:10 PM by ZoneV

US

>In terms of the amount of griping it's causing, the state of
>affairs with the D300 reminds me of the period before the D3
>was released. There was a long, and to observers outside of
>Nikon, inexplicable, period when the D2Xs was the top body
>Nikon had, even though it had fallen well behind in
>technology. When the D3 did come out, though, it blew everyone
>away, producing high-ISO performance that was revolutionary at
>the time.

Exactly. There always seems to be one model that's perpetually missing, and takes nearly forever to come out. Perhaps that's all it is this time around. Again, if it's coming, it's coming by the end of the year, I would think.

D5 would be in 2016 (2015 at the very earliest if they feel pressure and don't deploy a D4s). Hopefully we don't have to wait until 2015 for a D400! Seriously, that would mean the D300/s would be the longest-running DSLR ever, from 2007 to 2015. Not going to happen though. Electronic parts are eventually going to become impossible for Nikon to get from their suppliers. Not to mention, no one is going to buy the D300s in 2015.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Feb-13 06:23 AM
#16. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 13

Dyserth, GB

Well, I think there are many who will like Nikon's answer, if it reaches fruition. Thanks for the link Mike

For completeness when Nikon were asked why the D7100 was described as a flagship dSLR in the US, but a new enthusiast level dSLR in Europe, the reply was:

"I can assure you that the D7100 is not positioned to replace the D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera - such is the information received from Nikon Japan on the matter."

Interesting!

Richard

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 25-Feb-13 02:12 PM
#20. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon 25-Feb-13 02:15 PM by ZoneV

US

>Well, I think there are many who will like Nikon's answer, if
>it reaches fruition. Thanks for the link Mike
>
>For completeness when Nikon were asked why the D7100 was
>described as a flagship dSLR in the US, but a new enthusiast
>level dSLR in Europe, the reply was:
>
>"I can assure you that the D7100 is not positioned to
>replace the D300s as Nikon's flagship DX-format camera - such
>is the information received from Nikon Japan on the
>matter."

And asking Nikon USA won't accomplish anything. They have farmed out their corporate customer service to call centers. You can no longer get in touch with them. Smart was that US person who asked Nikon Europe. I wonder if that Nikon Europe employee got in disciplined (unfairly) by Nikon Japan for putting that out in the public domain. Nikon's overall policy seems to be don't ask, don't tell, and if you ask, we won't tell you anything anyway.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 25-Feb-13 02:32 PM
#21. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

<<Nikon's overall policy seems to be don't ask, don't tell, and if you ask, we won't tell you anything anyway.>>

If I were Nikon and were asked a question about future launches I'd have exactly the same attitude No astute business plays its cards early.

Richard

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 25-Feb-13 10:18 PM
#22. "RE: Nikon DX Line gets new flagship"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon 25-Feb-13 10:20 PM by ZoneV

US

><<Nikon's overall policy seems to be don't ask, don't
>tell, and if you ask, we won't tell you anything
>anyway.>>
>
>If I were Nikon and were asked a question about future
>launches I'd have exactly the same attitude No astute
>business plays its cards early.

Well, then Nikon Europe's response is literally saying, "We're either going to have a D400 in the future, or we're going to give up that market entirely". They are telling us that one of two possibilites WILL happen.

So, you (or Nikon USA) probably would have said something more like: "The D300s was introduced in 2009 as an upgrade to the D300 and incorporated performance enhancements that professional photographers asked for. The D7100 is a different class of camera, but it's our most advanced DX body to date, so we expect that it will be adopted by many pros. The D300s will continue to sell as long as there is demand for it."

That's the type of non-response I'd expect from Nikon, or something like that.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87112 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.