Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87102
View in linear mode

Subject: "Home Brew Test Chart ..." Previous topic | Next topic
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 20-Feb-13 12:07 AM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Home Brew Test Chart ..."
Wed 20-Feb-13 03:24 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

I whipped up this quick and dirty test chart one afternoon to try and come up with something better than the want ads in the local paper for evaluating new lenses.

It is 24 by 36 inches and occupies a place of honor on the door from our kitchen to the utility room. At 24 x 36 inches (2:3 aspect ratio) I can fill the frame with the chart.

It is shown here in landscape format. On the door, it is in portrait format.

It was printed on my Epson P7900 printer, on Epson Premium Luster paper.

In addition to the small grid squares, there are a series of 1 2, 4, and 8 pixel wide lines around the center set of colored squares. The one pixel lines to the right of the center squares are not quite visible in this image.

The colored squares and circles are primary RGB and complementary CMY created in Photoshop.

Among other things, the chart will quickly disclose any barrel or pin cushion distortion present in a lens. It can also be used to detect color shifts due to the color temperature of ambient illumination.

I typically try a new zoom lens at several focal lengths, apertures, and subject to lens distances, from closest focus to the other end of the room. Primes are tested at closest focus to the other end of the room.

It is important to be sure the camera sensor is parallel to the chart on the door, and the central focus rectangle centered on the magenta square in the middle. I use a flash shoe two-axis bubble level for leveling the camera.

While not as exotic as other charts, it meets my needs nicely.

My wife "Loves!" explaining it to our dinner guests.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Home Brew Test Chart ...
JonK Moderator
20th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
21st Feb 2013
dm1dave Administrator
21st Feb 2013
JonK Moderator
21st Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
21st Feb 2013
ehall
24th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
14th Mar 2013
dm1dave Administrator
26th Feb 2013
SheriB Silver Member
21st Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
21st Feb 2013
DeanAZ Moderator
21st Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
21st Feb 2013
avm247 Moderator
24th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
14th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Feb 2013
ctadin Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
26th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
13th Mar 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
13th Mar 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 20-Feb-13 10:49 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Impressive, Hal. Thanks!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 02:51 PM
8415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Thanks for dropping in Jon.

Always nice to hear from you.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 21-Feb-13 04:43 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

This is a well thought out simple chart. Thanks for sharing it with us.

>>“It is important to be sure the camera sensor is parallel to the chart on the door, and the central focus rectangle centered on the magenta square in the middle.”

How do you ensure that the camera is parallel?

Is it as simple as – lining up the focus rectangle and then lining up the strait lines at the edges of the chart with the edges of the frame?

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 21-Feb-13 04:57 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

That works for me. If all four sides of the focus rectangle are in alignment with lines on the chart, you've got to be square.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 07:15 PM
#8. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Dave:

Jon is correct. If all four sides of the image in the viewfinder are parallel with the sides of the chart, the sensor and chart are parallel. This can take a while when using a ball head. A three axis head is quicker.

It doesn't have to be perfect for the test to be useful.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

ehall Registered since 12th Nov 2012Sun 24-Feb-13 04:29 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 8

South Orange, US

Thanks to all, this is in my file for future wintery nights.
Emory

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 14-Mar-13 03:23 PM
#18. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 10

Phoenix, US

Emory:

Thanks for droppiing in.

Let us know how the chart works should you decide to produce one of your own.

Our wintery nights are over for the year ... It is supposed to get into the low 90s today.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 26-Feb-13 02:17 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 26-Feb-13 02:20 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Thanks Hal!

Proper alignment is critical and this is a great solution.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Thu 21-Feb-13 06:44 PM
1598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 21-Feb-13 06:45 PM by SheriB

US

Tell your wife to say it is a new style parcheesi board and it is the after dinner activity..

Sheri Becker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 07:08 PM
#7. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

Sheri:

Thanks for dropping in.

Great suggestion ... Why didn't I think of that?

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 21-Feb-13 06:47 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Looks great, Hal. I hope your Epson was level when you printed this out.

Did you learn anything new by using this chart about your existing lenses?

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 07:29 PM
#9. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Dean:

The Epson P7900 was as level as I could make it, following a wee dram or two of single malt Scotch.

The most noticeable results were the amount of barrel or pin cushion distortion present in some lenses. With this chart, barrel and pin cushion distortion are very evident, even in small amounts. Once you capture an image, bring it into Photoshop and drag a vertical or horizontal line in and align it with the side of the image. A slight bow in either direction will be quickly apparent.

As expected, not all lenses tested could resolve the one pixel line widths at all distances.

For those without access to a large format printer, the chart would work well printed at 12 x 18 inches on 13 x 19 inch paper. I suggest printing it on the paper with the highest brightness rating, to improve contrast. Epson's Exhibition Fiber paper has a brightness rating of 110, which is very bright.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 24-Feb-13 06:14 AM
18316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Impressive, Hal. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts, Hal, I for one always find it helpful.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 14-Mar-13 03:26 PM
#19. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 11

Phoenix, US

Anthony:

Thanks for the kind words. Always appreciated.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 24-Feb-13 10:35 AM
8047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I want one as well as the clock that just shows what day of the week it is!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Tue 26-Feb-13 01:15 PM
949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 12

St Louis, US

Hal,
Thanks for the Test Chart. I'll be able to print it at the 13"x19" size.

Cheryl

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 26-Feb-13 03:53 PM
#15. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 13
Wed 27-Feb-13 11:32 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Cheryl:

Nice to hear from you again.

If the download version of this chart loses resolution and color fidelity due to the jpg compression, you may have to regenerate it.

Generating the Chart:

1) Start with the black grid lines which are on one inch spacing, and wide enough to be clearly visible at any camera to chart distance with any lens.

2) Then add the colored squares. I made one set of nine and then copied and pasted it in the other four locations. The primary RGB squares were generated in Photoshop by setting each color to 255, and the other two to zero. The complementary squares were generated by setting the primary color to zero, and each of the complementary colors to 255.

3) The circles were added next. Again, I made one red circle and one green circle and copied and pasted them to the other locations.

4) The one, two, four, and eight pixel lines around the center square were added last.

Things to Consider:

While the lens resolution and various aberrations will be quite accurate, assuming proper setup, this chart should be used as a relative indication of color shifts and fidelity.

While the colored squares and circles started out in Photoshop as pure primary and complementary RGB values, you will find it a challenge to capture them with a camera and see them in Photoshop as pure colors, for several related reasons:

a) The exposure must be right on.

b) The color temperature and placement of the ambient illumination will affect them.

c) The White Balance, saturation, and other color management functions selected in the camera will affect how they are recorded.

d) The brightness rating of the paper will affect the RGB makeup of the white squares.

e) Various printer ink sets on different papers will likely exhibit differences in their pure primary colors. Remember, current ink jet printers are using a variant of CMYK color sets while Photoshop and your computer monitor are using Primary RGB colors.

My Epson P7900 used to print this chart has eleven colors: Two Cyan, Two Magenta, One Yellow, Four Blacks (Photo Black, Matte Black, Light Black, and Light-Light Black), One Orange, and One Green. The only pure primary color in the set is Green. See the problem?

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 13-Mar-13 09:45 PM
#17. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 12

Phoenix, US

Scott:

Google "WWW.dayclocks.com"

They offer several variations, but I like the one with the single hand and the seven days of the week instead of twelve hours of the day around it.

I was interviewed the other day and was asked what the date was. The question floored me because I hadn't a clue. I mumbled:

"I'm not sure ... I think it is around the 8th or 9th, but I'm positive it is Friday!"

The interviewer looked at me as if I was a few marbles short.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 13-Mar-13 06:57 PM
4411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Home Brew Test Chart ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Thanks for sharing this, Hal.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87102 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.