nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #87079
View in linear mode

Subject: "Computational Photography Course" Previous topic | Next topic
K Jack   Naples, US  Registered since 31st Jul 2011 Sun 17-Feb-13 08:13 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Computational Photography Course"

I found this site that offers free online university professor taught courses. It's a MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses)and taught by Professor Irfan Essa, Georgia Institute of Technology. Anyone have any experience with this or know this professor?

https://www.coursera.org/course/compphoto

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member  Williamstown, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:00 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Computational Photography Course"
In response to Reply # 0

Keith,

I am not familiar with the professor or the institute but I question the fact that the school does not have an ".edu" website. All of my college and university dealings, such as Rutgers, Penn State, Cornell, and Purdue have a website that ends in a ".edu". Just saying.

Mike

six34sigma Silver Member  Cumming, US  Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010 Mon 18-Feb-13 06:00 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Computational Photography Course"
In response to Reply # 1

The claim seems to be that coursera has partnered with 25 universities so no .edu extension, its also not .com but .org. See

https://www.coursera.org/#universities

If you read the professor bio on the georgia tech website and compare to the offered course seems to check out.

http://www.ic.gatech.edu/people/irfan-essa

If its free and they never ask for a credit card number it would seem interesting to take. May take the course myself just for amusement.

Cheers,
Sanjay

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member  Williamstown, US  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010 Mon 18-Feb-13 06:57 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Computational Photography Course"
In response to Reply # 2

Sanjay,

Go for it. If it doesn't cost you anything to get involved, then I would consider it. The only thing you have to do is evaluate your level and compare it to what they claim they will teach you. The only thing spent is your time, which is valuable, but if you are learning then there is no loss. Good luck.

Mike

19US Silver Member  Robbinsville, US  Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008 Wed 20-Feb-13 02:12 AM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Computational Photography Course"
In response to Reply # 0

Coursera is a relatively new company which helps colleges and universities share courses with members of the public. My previous employer, an Ivy League u in NJ has begun using them on a limited basis. Each school uses them differently, many treat them like a Ted talk, or allow students from around the world to participate without cost and also without accruing any credit. I'm not sure how Georgia Tech is using.

The school faculty will present the course and usually they are free. I'm not affiliated with coursera but have seen how they work at one place. It's like auditing a class online.

Good luck
Tom

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #87079 Previous topic | Next topic