Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87035
View in linear mode

Subject: "life time equipment" Previous topic | Next topic
micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Wed 13-Feb-13 11:29 PM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"life time equipment"

walkertown, US

not sure where to post this so here it is.just curious what equipment everyone started with and has now.I started back in the 70's with a 35mm that was just slightly bigger than todays p+s.it had a square flash that pushed down into the top of the camera and had four bulbs in it that turned a 1/4 turn to the new bulb each time it was used,lol.then after a big lapse in time I got an N55.I was in heaven.I quickly got very interested in photography and started reading,studying and learning.I then stepped into an N75.as I watched digital get into the scene I finally landed a D-80.I started learning much faster at that point and the enjoyment escalated.I just recently,three days to be exact,jumped into a D-7000.I still have all my camera's except the eary 70's one.not sure what brand it was but it's been nikon all the way since.so,what did all of you start and end with?

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: life time equipment
JosephK Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
micro Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
avm247 Moderator
14th Feb 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
14th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
Omaha
14th Feb 2013
TashSt Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
RockyIII Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
benveniste Moderator
15th Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
mareng
15th Feb 2013
Floridian Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
f11 Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
Pouncer Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
archivue Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
gbheron Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
tekneektom Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
grizzly200
16th Feb 2013
airgunr Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
Jim 1957 Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
Ray B Gold Member
18th Feb 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
21st Feb 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
MelT
26th Feb 2013
polarpics Gold Member
27th Feb 2013
anabasis
27th Feb 2013
spraay2236
01st Mar 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
01st Mar 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
Safariman
16th Mar 2013
Scotty Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
Safariman
18th Mar 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
17th Mar 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
Clint S Silver Member
18th Mar 2013
Indigo586
18th Mar 2013
RWCooper
21st Mar 2013
Ned_L Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
micro Silver Member
22nd Mar 2013
Ned_L Moderator
22nd Mar 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 12:27 AM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

This would be a good post for the Cafe forum(s).

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Thu 14-Feb-13 12:40 AM
505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 1

walkertown, US

I could not figure out where to put it.if there is a better forum,maybe a moderator will move it to it.

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 14-Feb-13 04:10 PM
18404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Started with an N70 in 1997, I still have it, in fact, my son (12) uses it on occasion. I also have an F100 (2005) and now an D700 (2011). Still using the same lenses on digital that I had with film. I love Nikon's backward compatibility, thought I did need to buy a new iTTL speedlight (SB910).

Congrats on the D7000.
Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 04:34 PM
3637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

I started with a Nikon Photomic T in 1965 and worked my way through several film bodies. I don't have any of my first Nikon bodies now but I still have some of the Nikon lenses I purchased in the 1960s: 24/2.8, 35/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 300/4.5, and 500/5 reflex. I still use the 50 and 85, the others have set on the shelf except for some occasional test shots to see how they compare with my modern AF pro zooms.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 14-Feb-13 06:50 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

US

At age 1 or 2, one of my first toys was a broken Kodak Instamatic. I took my first picture of my parents at age 6 or so using a Canon manual focus SLR. Had a string of very simple point-and-shoots in the early to mid 1990s as a kid, some taking 110 film. Got a decent fixed focus 35mm point-and-shoot in 1994 or so, and used it for photography class at a day camp I went to. I upgraded this at least once to an AF model, possibly when the first one broke. In 1997, I got serious, and started using a Canon manual focus SLR. I also got some experience with an early digicam and Adobe Photoshop around the same time. Upgraded to Nikon (N90s) in 2000. Went into DSLRs with the D1H in 2005, and that's where I've been since, adding a few more film and digital SLRs and lenses and accessories along the way.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 14-Feb-13 08:04 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

My first camera was a Yashica TLR which I still have (but have not brought it out in 40 years I suspect).

The first real camera was my dad's Exacta from the 60's. SLR with three lenses and we shared it shooting Kodachrome 10. I then used it shooting Tri-X. I pull it out of the drawer from time to time just to look at it and play with it -- its a nice piece of H/W.

I still have my Vivitar enlarger, it sits on a table in my old darkroom, but has not been used in 15years I would think -- still has its Nikkor lens!

----
Dennis Smith.

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 09:16 PM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

The first camera I bought with my own money was a Polaroid 100 when I was 16. A couple of years later I went 35mm and bought a Pentax Spotmatic. After many years and a medley of Pentax and compatible cameras, I went Nikon when the F100 came out and bought a Contax G2 a little after that.

After a couple of digital point and shoots I bought a Fuji S2 Pro, then a D200 and I now have a D300 and am patiently waiting for the D400 - or if I run out of patience, I'm considering a D800.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 14-Feb-13 10:31 PM
533 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 7

Omaha, US

I bought a Pentax K-1000 with my high school graduation money in 1981.

Still works great to this day.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 11:12 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

I stared with a Canon in film.. I can't even remember the details of the camera.. it was 15 years ago.
For a long time I had P&S almost everything. Just replace the old one with the newer one when something breaks on it.

My first real purchase was the Nikon D5100. With it I got two 'kit' lens' Nikkor 18-55 and 55-300. They did me for a short time but I really wanted to do macro, so I bought the Tamron 180mm 1:1 macro.

Three nights ago I got cross with someone and decided to do some 'retail therapy' so now I am awaiting the Nikon D600 and a compatible lens ( Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G)), some speed lights and assorted accessories.

felt much better.

www.impressstphotography.com

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 12:46 AM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Here is a list of my first few cameras:

1960 - Kodak Brownie 2A, hand-me-down from my father
1963 - Kodak Kodak Duaflex IV, another hand-me-down
1965 - Kodak Instamatic 104
1969 - Bell & Howell Autoload 341
1980 - Olympus OM-1
1985 - Nikon EM

Rocky

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 15-Feb-13 01:17 AM
9458 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#11. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

In rough order:

Brownie Starmite II (127 film, AG-1B flashbulbs)
Hawkeye Instamatic R4 (126 film, Flashcubes)
Argus C3 (35mm film, various bayonet flash bulbs)
Estes Camroc
GAF Ansocomatic Super 8mm movie camera

During college, I didn't have much money, so it was pretty much a case of whatever I could borrow. The first camera I bought with my own money was a Canonet GIII 1.7, but that was for my college sweetheart. Then...

Nikon FM, Nikon FA, Pentax 110 SLR, Nikon F100, Coolpix 995, Nikon FM2, Pronea S, Pentax 645, Nikon Pronea S, Nikon D200, Zone VI Field Camera, Pentax 645n, Nikon D800, Nikon V1.

Somewhere, I also have a simple holographic camera which I've never tried to use...

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 15-Feb-13 03:54 AM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Started in 1983 with a Zenith EM, moved quickly to a Nikon FG, then it was Nikon's all the way - FM for ages then F501, F50, F90X, FM2n, F60, F70, D100, D50, D200, D2Xs... to name but a few... loved them all and would love one of each as a display...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

mareng Registered since 14th Jan 2013Fri 15-Feb-13 12:18 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 15-Feb-13 12:19 PM by mareng

Thatcham. GB, GB

1962 Kodak Brownie 127 (films larger than 35mm but only B&W)

1967 2nd hand Kodak Coloursnap 35mm
(Fixed Shutter Speed, Variable Aperture (EV 10-14), Variable focal length/focus (2.5'>Infininty) Film speed had to be set on camera on changing film ( BS Log 21>36). Produced good photos and even better slides. Unfortunately too old to find a flash that would fit on the side. Avatar taken with this camera. Still got it.

1980's Kodak Tele Ektralite 600. 22/44mm lens This had a built in flash and the camera would slip in your pocket quite easy. Tiny 110 film.

2002 Fuji Finepix 2600Z Digital Camera. Telephoto lens, optical viewfinder compact.
Pity the battery/film door got damaged.

2011 > present Nikon 3100 with kit lens.
From small beginings still enjoying photography 51 years later.

Mareng

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 03:28 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

The first camera I bought myself was a Canon FTb, which I got in 1975. That was the only camera I had until I went digital and bought a Nikon Coolpix 775. Since then I've bought a D50 and D300, and last year a Fujifilm X10 as a more portable camera.

Because Canon changed their lens mount, my Canon lenses wouldn't work on any digital camera, and when I looked at DSLR offerings I liked the Nikons better and made the switch.

Randy

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 08:38 PM
767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Tulsa, US

My Mom's Ansco Rediflex TLR. I think she still has it. Next was a Minolta 126 film point and shoot that my folks gave me when I went into the Air Force. Then I bought a Nikon F Ftn while stationed in Japan. Next an FM and then a D200. Last was a Coolpix P7000.

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 15-Feb-13 08:56 PM
1109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Minolta SRT with 50 and 135 primes as hand me downs in the mid-1980s. Upgraded to a Minolta X-700 and a few manual focus zooms in the late 80s and early 90s.

Drifted away from photography for a few years while in school, shooting only a few rolls of film each year - not enough to upgrade equipment.

Started watching the development of digital cameras and made the jump from film with a Nikon D70 in 2004. Now I have a D300, D700, a bunch of Ai primes, ZF primes, CV primes, and a few Nikon AF lenses.

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Sat 16-Feb-13 11:11 AM
5465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

My first camera was, almost, a toy camera. Some weird thingy using half frames of 120 films (6x3cm), two speeds, fixed aperture, fixed focus, galilean viewfinder !!! I was very happy with it (I was 8 years old) and still have the negs !!!
Getting more serious on photography my father lent me his Agfa Ambi Sillette (sort of Leica M clone). Full everything (apart metering), full manual, external flash with bulbs (Pow, Fizz, Duh !).
At seventeen I had my brother to get me back from Japan my first SRL I paid for, an FTb QL Canon with a 50/1.4 lens !
After several years I switched to Nikon with the FM (In those times it was about the Aperture vs Speed that separated brands).
Around 24, I jumped for a Bronica 6x6 (couldn't afford the 'Blad).
Fed up with the weight, I shifted for a Nikon FA.
At 30 it was the F4s.
Looking again for mobility I then bought a Leica M6 (non TTL). While I liked the rangefinder (used to it since the Ambi Sillette), I missed the short range as the tele capability.
So I went for the full manual system at Nikon, the FM2a, I even bought three of them in time (each with the different shutter curtain versions).

A friend was then selling for cheap a Coolpix 990, I went for it to try the digital way !
I was hooked, upgraded to the CP 4500, then a D70, a D200, a D700, a D3x !

My main camera today is still the D3x and the FM2a's are "on the ready" (just in case). My children inherited of the other digital cameras that still work very well !

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 03:58 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedar Falls, US

Good morning, Troy,

My first camera was a Kodak Brownie when I enlisted in the United States Air Force in 1962 at age 17. My first 35mm camera was a gift from my late wife for finally graduating from university in 1973, a beautiful Nikon F2 with a 55mm Micro-Nikkor.

Happy Nikon shooting,
Randy

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 05:27 PM
1799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Started in 1968 with a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic - I believe it may have been one of the first 35mm cameras with built in averaging light meter. Used it for about 6 or 8 years and then moved up to a used Contax RTS with integrated motor drive - at this time I was working for Eastman Kodak so my film was really cheap (read FREE). I then proceeded into a Contax RTS III and also got a Hasselblad (105c?). In 2011 I sold the Contax and variety of lenses and the Hasselblad and purchased my Nikon D7000. And I'm having a great time! My next purchased will probably be a Nikon 800 - I love landscape photography and am looking for max resolution. Now, I just need the money for the purchase.

Tom

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 08:42 PM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 16-Feb-13 08:47 PM by grizzly200

Solano County, California, US

1) Old Kodak Instamatic 104--1970
2) Old Ricoh 300--1972
3) New Yashica Electro 35 GSN--1973
3a)Old Exakta VXIIa--1973
4) New Olympus 35RC--1973
5) New Miranda Sensorex II--1974
6) New Minolta SRT201--1975
7) Old Leica IIIf--1992
8) Used Nikon FM--2002
9) Used Nikkormat FTn--2004
10)Slightly used Nikon D300--2010--current go-to camera.

1, 2, and 10 were gifts. 3-9 all purchased with hard-earned money.

James

airgunr Gold Member Nikonian since 05th May 2004Sat 16-Feb-13 09:20 PM
407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Delavan, Wisconsin, US

Brownie but my sister kept trying to take it from me.
Instimatic
Canon AE-1
Nikon F5

William J. Slater

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sun 17-Feb-13 04:04 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

Started with a camera that my father had when he was at the U of M. It was a rangefinder and perhaps an Agfa? Got that when I was 14 or 40 years ago. Believe my photos from that time period were in some ways better than what I take today. There was no meter and had to plan every shot. Spent time in a darkroom processing B&W. Lots of negs and contact sheets running around from that period. Ruined the lens with a drop but it had light leaks anyway.

Shot with P&S film for some time before buying a Minolta X700 with a 50. Somewhere along the way invested in a Vivitar series 1 24-105 (think that was the focal length). That camera is still around, last time I used it was about 4 years ago, it has seen some good use over the years.

Then a D90 4 years ago, with a16-85 and a 50 1.8 D. Purchased a couple of additional lenses, the 80-200 f2.8 and Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Best kit so far and love the 16-85 as a walk around. But thinking of FF now.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Jim 1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Sun 17-Feb-13 09:01 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Corinth, US

I started in 69 with an Agfa film camera, don't remember the model. Then inherited a Dacora Super Dignette in 1971. Next was a Konica T3 in 74 which I kept till the body gave out in 86 when it was replaced by an FT-1. That was given to my Son about ten years ago when I bought my first digital an Olympus C-3040 that reenergized my interest in photography after a long lapse. I replaced it with a Nikon 5700 followed by a D70, D300 and just recently my D3.

Ray B Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2008Mon 18-Feb-13 08:46 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 18-Feb-13 08:47 AM by Ray B

Worthing, GB

A very nostalgic and enjoyable thread !!

My journey with photography started somewhere around 1978 with a Zorki 4K. Then I got my first SLR around about 1980 and that was a Cosina CSR with 50mm kit lens.

From the late 80's through to post millenium I ran with various Canon consumer SLR's and kit lenses, although photography was not at the top of my list during that period.

I made the change to digital when the Canon 20D was launched (around 2004) and that reawakened my interest in photography.

In 2008 I made the switch to Nikon with the purchase of a D700. Since then my interest has flourished and my bank balance diminished

It's been a long journey with plenty of breaks away from photography but I'm in a happy place today with my Nikons and Nikkors

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Tue 19-Feb-13 04:01 PM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 20-Feb-13 01:53 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Hi all,
Well, it might surprise most of the younger readers that the first cameras I used (in 1946 when I was 6yo, in England) were SLRs! One was a "Soho" and one was a "Thornton Pickard". Both had leatherette covered wooden bodies somewhere around 9-10in "cubes" with tall bellows at the top through which to view the ground glass on which a pretty dim image was cast. Both used 1/4 plate (4-1/4x3-1/4in) glass plates in double-sided wooden carriers. I suspect that the top shutter speed (huge, cloth, focal plane shutters) of both cameras was around 1/60, possibly only 1/30.

My father had taken on the job of promoting our home town (Lowestoft) as a holiday resort, immediately after WWII ended, and needed pictures for the town's forthcoming Annual Holiday Guide. We processed the plates and printed them in the darkroom of the town hall - which we shared with the local police photographers. At that time it was probably the only decent darkroom within 25 miles...

By the time I was 10, I was the proud owner of a 35mm "Finetta", which had a screw-fit lens. I, probably with a little help from my grandfather, built a wooden enlarger which used the same lens as my camera. My bedroom became my personal darkroom in which I spent a lot of time until I moved away from home at the age of 16.

Dad's holiday guide became very successful and his department bought a Rolliecord knock-off whose make I can't remember. Then a Mamiya C220 - all of which I used as I slid into the role of primary photographer for the guide.

Since then, I have owned many cameras. The most notable were a Rolleiflex 2.8E, a Pentax Spotmatic, Olympus OM-1N and OM-2, Haselblad 500C and SWC (I LOVED that Biogon), a Sinar 5x4in monorail and, for a short time, a "Press camera". Plus, a Canon XL1S video camera that I used with great success on a trip to the Galapagos Islands. I have ALWAYS processed my own stills. After moving to USA in 1982, I built a domestic darkroom with automated colour processors and a Besseler 5x4in enlarger having a Minolta (Xenon flash-based) colour head.

However, as a life-long "techie", I could see the demise of silver-based photography on the horizon and sold EVERYTHING .

The camera with which I started digital photography was an Olympus OM-4. With it, I engineered a microprocessor-based, motorised, platform for taking images to be stitched into panoramas. A few were sold, but not enough to support that business - which I and a colleague terminated.

I switched to Nikon digital, starting with a D70S then 2x D200s and have progressed through D7000, D3, D3X, D4, D800 and D800E. I now have only the 800 and 800E. Oh, that's not true - I also have a 1V1. I also have more Nikon "glass" than I want my wife to know about!

Nikon equipment serves me VERY well. I don't even dream about buying anything better!

Pete

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 21-Feb-13 12:34 AM
8060 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

In this order:

1. Kodak Brownie
2. Kodak Pony (828), first real camera
3. Kodak Instamatic (poor college student)
4. Olympus OMs
5. Nikon F-100
6. Hasselblad
7. Nikon DSLRs (D100-D200-D300-D700)

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 26-Feb-13 04:58 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Lynnwood, US

I started with a twin lens reflex that took 120 film when I was in grade school. Then I had a Kodak 35mm rangefinder.

My father had an Exacta I used.

When I was in college I got a Nikon F because my roommate had one. I got more lenses, I remember my first ultra wide angle, a 20mm f3.5 UD-Nikkor.

When the F2 came our I got one, then I got another.

My first digital camera was a Nikon P&S.

Then I got a D80 and an 18-200 lens, I chose the 18-200 for point & shoot convenience.

A year or so after the D7000 came out I got one and a 10-24 wide angle so I no longer felt stifled by the lack of a real wide angle.

I have some other lenses and flashes too.

And I have a Nikonos III I used to take pictures in caves.

my website

MelT Registered since 06th Jul 2002Tue 26-Feb-13 06:19 PM
4608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Petersburg, US

Started with a hand-me-down Argus C4 in perhaps 1972. I then stepped up to a Pentax Spotmatic (another hand-me-down). In 1978 bought my first Nikon; a F2AS and through the years have shot with nothing other than a Nikon. The last body I bought was in 2006 (D2X). I haven't bought a lens since 2004 (200-400/4).

Mel

An Opinionated Old Curmudgeon from Virginia

Website - www.meltalley.com
Blog - http://blog.meltalley.com
Facebook - www.facebook.com/mel.talley
Twitter - @meltalley

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Wed 27-Feb-13 12:55 PM
232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Ontario, CA

Not sure if I have the timeline correct but here goes; Konica - lots of Konica bodies and Hexanon lens, Pentax 6X7 (Texas SLR), Yashicamat, Nikon FM, FM2, FM3a, N90, Fuji S2 Pro, D200, D300s, D600 and possibly a few others I've forgotten over the years.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

anabasis Registered since 26th Sep 2003Wed 27-Feb-13 11:31 PM
1780 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#30. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Edwardsville, US

I started out in the early 80's with a 126 Kodak Instamatic. I remember getting film and flash cubes in my stocking at Christmas.

When I was 10 (where I date my real interest in photography), my father gave me a Minolta rangefinder with fixed 35mm f2.8 lens and no meter. I had a sunny-16 circular slide rule to try exposure.

In high school I adopted my father's Nikon F and he bought a Nikkormat FTN that I used extensively. Lenses were a 50 f1.4, 50 f2, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, and a 43-86 f3.5 zoom.

After High School I bought a FM2n with 50mm f1.8 and 70-210 f4.5-5.6D.

After college I started earning money and my camera collection has increased. Now I have a wide variety of Nikon film cameras and 3 DSLRs. My main bodies at this point are the F6 for film and D700 for digital.

JCA

Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37977699@N00/

Visit

spraay2236 Registered since 27th Feb 2012Fri 01-Mar-13 11:41 AM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I started off with a Minolta X370 and later upgrade to an X700, which I still have.

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Fri 01-Mar-13 06:23 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 31

Oeiras, PT

Hi Nikonians,

I started with a Baldessa w/45mm f/2.8 (from my father) in 1978.
In 1989, on a holiday trip to Macau, wanted to by a Nikon but didn´t have the money,... so i bought a Konica w/ 50mm f/1.7 (just because the name was similar to Nikon), which was stolen in 1990 - quit shooting.
Started again 2010 with my actual camera.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Fri 01-Mar-13 11:41 PM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 32

Ohio, US

It all began with:
1966 Sears Tower rangefinder
1967 Minolta SR7
1968 Minolta SRT-101
1970 Nikon F
followed by F3HP, FM2n, F100, and currently D300

At my age, my last Nikon could be the D600 that I hope to buy soon.

Bill
D300
Nikon since 1970

Safariman Basic MemberSat 16-Mar-13 11:59 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Bodies

1) My father gave me a Canonet GII when I was about 8
2) I upgraded to a Nikon Pronea S, just as APS film was announced as the next big thing.
3) An F80S (Databack version) soon followed.
4) D70 got me into digital
5) Upgraded to a D200
6) Then a D300 - which I still have
7) Then a D700 - which I still have - to go FF

In the interim I ended up with several 'extra' SLR's - F100, F6, F65, D5100 - all of which served one purpose or another, but now just sit in the cupboard. I don't like selling cameras!

I am perfectly happy with the D300 + D700 combo for what I shoot now (wildlife) & have spent my NAS funds on lenses over the last few years. I'm waiting for a 'gamechanger' before upgrading my bodies.

Lenses:

1) Started with a 30-60mm on the Pronea S
2) Got a 24-120 + 70-300D + 50 1.4 combo for the F80
3) Upgraded the 70-300 to the 80-200N
4) Got a 300 F4
5) Upgraded the 80-200N to the 70-200 MKI
6) Got the 18-70 with the D70
7) Got a Tamron 90mm Macro
8) Upgraded the 300 F4 to the 200-400 MK1!
9) Got the 24-70
10) Upgraded the 70-200 MKI to the MKII
11) Got the 14-24

I'm VERY happy with the combo of 14-24 + 24-70 + 70-200 + 200-400 + 50 F1.4 + Tamron 90mm macro.

Future upgrades may include upgrading the macro & adding an 85 F1.4 otherwise I am happy!

Safariman
Let Nature Get Close To You.
My Gallery

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sun 17-Mar-13 02:48 AM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 34

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I love the idea that an F6 is just an extra camera that served some purpose or other and is now in a cupboard!!!! An F6!!!!

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Safariman Basic MemberMon 18-Mar-13 01:54 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#39. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 36

GB

It's been a couple of years since I had a chance to shoot a roll of film, but when I feel the urge, the F6 will be the camera that I pick to go on an outing with a roll of Velvia!

At the moment life has taken me by the scruff of the neck & when I grab a camera, it is generally a DSLR for work purposes.

I did get a chance to get back to the Kruger National Park last year, but for the first time I decided to leave all film parephenalia behind due to airline weight restrictions.

The F6 & my other film bodies will be seeing very limited use for the forseeable future, but they are not being sold, as I still enjoy the punchyness of a Velvia slide & intend shooting them all for many years to come.

Safariman
Let Nature Get Close To You.
My Gallery

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sun 17-Mar-13 12:43 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Elmo, US

My first was a Nikon FM...had 2 of them. Shot lots and lots of EktaChrome and processed all my own E-6 film, and CibaChrome prints (very tough chemistry in a confined space....whew).
I'd guess the year was 1975ish.
No place as peaceful as a darkroom though....I loved mine !

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 17-Mar-13 01:05 PM
2955 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

My first camera was a Petri Flex I purchased while stationed in the Air Force on a small early warning site off the coast of Alaska in 1962. It was a very small site and the Petri was the only slr they sold at the BX.

I traded the Petri in for a Pentax Spotmatic when I discharged from the service in 1964.

I bought my first Nikon, a F Photomic Ftn with a 55mm f3.5 Macro used in 1970. I still have the body and the lens which I had AI'd after buying a FE in the early 80's. Both camera and lens still work perfectly today. Since then I have purchased and still own 30 Nikon film and digital bodies.

Len

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Mon 18-Mar-13 01:41 AM
2021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

My first "real" camera was a Canon AE-1 purchased by the police department I worked for back in 1978. I have 5 AE-1P versions today and numerous Canon FD lenses - and I still shoot these cameras today.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Mon 18-Mar-13 03:51 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

- No 2. Brownie, 1963
- Six-20 Boy Scout Brownie, 1964
- My first purchased camera, a Kodak Retina IIc, 1965, Accessory lenses, close up lenses, Flasholder (Bulb), Schneider 50mm f/2.8 lens, 1965. I was in like Flynn with this setup. Not even 12 years old!
- Olympus FTL, 1971
- Olympus OM-1, 1973
- 4 x 5 Home made view camera, Rodnstock lenses, 1975
-Hassleblad 500C, 1976
- An OM3 (1984?), Blad and many various cameras until I consolidated to a Nikon F3 late 80s
- Broke away from serious photography in the mid 90s
- Started back with Olympus E-410 in 2007, to E3 & E30 (2008)
- Nikon D70s (1 month to try my lenses stored in the mid 90s) & D7000, Jan 2011
- Nikon D700, Mar 2011
- Nikon D800, Apr 2012

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Indigo586 Registered since 25th Jan 2013Mon 18-Mar-13 05:02 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 40

US

I don't have any of the cameras I bought in the early years, late 70's and early 80's.
I started out with the F2AS and add and EM and the F3HP. I sold the EM about a year after I had it because of the aperture coupling problem. The F2AS was stolen in 84. I sold the F3HP along with all the lenses and darkroom equipment when I went broke in 86.
I started again in 2002 with the F5 and then added a used F3HP. The F3 broke so I got a replacement F3HP.

RWCooper Registered since 04th Jul 2004Thu 21-Mar-13 10:23 PM
976 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#42. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

I purchased all of my cameras brand new. They were all current at the time they were purchased but I don't know the exact dates. It started sometime in the early '70s.

Pentax Spotmatic II
Pentax ME ?? (don't recall, didn't have it long).
Olympus OM-3 + OM-4 (probably my favourite film cameras, compact and light for hiking)
Nikon F4s + F4 (a bit heavy but very rugged)
Nikon D70 (my entry into digital)
Nikon D200 (times 2)
Nikon FM3A (never used)
Nikon D300 + D300s (my current wildlife cameras)
Nikon D700
Nikon D800 (times 2, my all time favourite cameras (so far))

I sold all of my film cameras a few years ago because I simply stopped using them. The only digital camera I have sold so far is the D700. I probably would have sold the D70 but it intermittently locks up (of course this started after the warranty expired).

Until I purchased and used the D800 I never felt I had a good replacement for my F4. Given my age the D800 bodies may be my last and I'm comfortable with that.

Enjoy!

Randy

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 02:28 AM
6598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

This topic has some interesting reading. Thanks for posting it.

I got my first camera in 1955. It was a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. That was a box camera. By '58 I got a Yashica D, twin lens reflex camera, then a few years later I bought a used Rolleiflex T.

In 1965 I moved to a Nikon SLR getting a Nikon F Photomic. By 1968 the meter burnt out, while I was a college student and my dealer worked out a deal with Nikon, and I got a Nikon Photomic FTN, which I used for quite some time. Once out of college, and on my own, I bought a Nikon F2 Photomic. I used that until the Nikon F4 which I got in the late 80's. In '99 I purchased my last film camera, the Nikon F5.

By about 2002, the handwriting was on the wall. The digital photography revolution was going to hit top quality photography soon thereafter. In the meantime, I bought a couple of point and shoots to check out digital photography and learn about it, while the F5 was still providing my bread and butter images.

In 2004 I got the Nikon D70, and soon thereafter, after learning about the differences between film and digital photography, I did my first wedding exclusively digital. The bride and groom loved the images, and I loved the advantages of digital for the work. Soon after that I took my first major trip with the D70, and the work it produced was excellent. When it came out I moved to the D200 as my primary camera. It's advantages over the D70, beyond the sensor were numerous. I took it to the Galapagos, and it performed wonderfully. With the D200, I retired my film cameras.

Since then I've moved to Nikon's FX DSLR's which are better for me, for the work I do.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Fri 22-Mar-13 09:17 AM
#44. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 43

walkertown, US

yes Ned,I agree.this has been much more interesting than expected.I never realized just how many camera choices there were back in the 60's and 70's.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 09:36 AM
6598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: life time equipment"
In response to Reply # 44

Philadelphia, US

Don't under estimate we seniors. We even had cameras way back in the 50's. (LOL)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #87035 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.