Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86999
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF tuning without taking pictures....." Previous topic | Next topic
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 03:41 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF tuning without taking pictures....."

Encino, US

I don't know if it was posted before but this looks very interesting.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50774257

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 12:29 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF tuning without taking pictures....."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Interesting article. I tried to find the front/back focus arrows in my D300s but there doesn't seem to be any. No mention of this in the manual either.

Anyone else try this?

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 02:13 PM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF tuning without taking pictures....."
In response to Reply # 1

Farmington Hills, US

The arrows are only on some Nikon DSLRs, mostly the higher end ones. Unfortunately the D300 and I assume the D300s did not get the useful feature.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 11:31 AM
6056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF tuning without taking pictures....."
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I played around with this procedure a bit. It does seem to work, at least with the D7000 and couple of lenses I tried it on. It confirms the AF settings I had previously determined. But the range of AF Tune values over which the in-focus dot was lit was quite broad, so for body/lens combinations that require a large offset, you may reach the end of the available range before the dot goes out. Thus, while it's a useful and easy technique to use as a starting point, I'm not sure it fully replaces the more exacting techniques.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 02:20 PM
3618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF tuning without taking pictures....."
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Thanks for posting this, it looks quite useful and easier than comparing a bunch of 100% images on a computer.

My D4 just came back from a minor warranty repair at Nikon USA Melville. Nikon adjusted the AF operation even though I didn't think I had any AF problem and hadn't asked them to check it. This means my previous AF fine tune settings probably are incorrect. I need to redo the AF fine tune. I'll try this method to see how it works and do a Lens Align after adjusting.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86999 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.