nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Undoing the damage - Advanced Image Composition

ZoneV

US
3525 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Mon 11-Feb-13 08:28 PM | edited Tue 12-Feb-13 03:21 AM by ZoneV

For the first 15 years of practicing photography, I got good at getting close and using the rule of thirds. By 2007, it was second nature.

In 2008, I realized that my compositions looked too regimented at times. I wasn't sure exactly what the solution was though.

More recently, I noticed that a lot of my photos lacked depth and were cropped too tightly. Some of them looked as though they could have been taken on a set in a studio and composited (tightly cropped human subject, defocused background). I stuck this in the back of my mind and decided to start using wide-angle lenses more.

Around the same time, I went on an interview for a part-time PJ gig for a small-town paper. The editor was not a photographer, and responded best to the tightly cropped images shot with a wide-angle lens from up close.

But I knew that I also wanted to learn to take wider shots as well. You know, the type of PJ images that tell a story and show more of the environment but still look professional even though they're not tight.

6 months ago, I stared looking at National Geographic again. The editor, Chris Johns, was a staff photographer for a long time. I read a quote from him talking about how he used to try to cram as many layers as possible into a photo to show the environment. In the magazine, I noticed that there were a lot of photos like that; he obviously has been pushing his photographers. I knew this had to be challenging, as it required feeling out, composing in 3 dimensions, and waiting for the best moment. But I decided I'd start trying.

I have the good fortune of subscribing to one of the more photojournalistic daily papers. I have noticed for the past year that many of the images that get run are wider shots that show the environment, tell a story, and sometimes have multiple layers.

So, for the past few months, I've been working on trying this approach in my own photojournalism. I don't quite have the hang of it yet, but I'm working on it. I've given up on actively composing; I no longer think about composition most of the time. I just trust my judgement. More often than not, I'm able to get away from the rule of thirds this way; the photos look less stiff and regimented when I think less. And I've been working on trying the wider, storytelling shots too.

It's hard, but I'm starting to successfully break out of a 15-year-long compositional tendency.

Has anyone else found that they are composing too tight sometimes, and need to pull back a bit?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Undoing the damage - Advanced Image Composition

G