nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86937
View in linear mode

Subject: "Perfect Combination...?" Previous topic | Next topic
Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 09-Feb-13 02:58 PM
4857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Perfect Combination...?"

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

Hey guys - what (if any) is your favourite camera/lens combination? The one that once you pick it up you have to go out and shoot? I have been lucky enough to find 3 such combinations over the last 25 years...

My first camera was a Zenith EM - tank-like and clunky which was quickly replaced with a Nikon FG with the E series 50mm lens. These were OK but my real passion was sparked by combination 1...

1. Nikon FM (a lovely black one) + Nikkor 85mm f2 (my first proper Nikkor). This combination was my constant companion for many years until they were stolen... This is what made me want to be a pro, want to shoot all the time... Loved the feel of the body and the focal length f the lens... perfect.

When this was stolen I was camera less for a while until I graduated and had enough money to get some new kit. After trial end error I found my next perfect combination - one I used to shoot weddings etc as I started out on the pro road. This combination was...

2. Nikon F90X Pro + Nikkor 28-105mm. Great body and lens - this was my go to until I changed to Digital...

Much as I loved my D200 it has taken me until now to find my current perfect combination -

3. Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AFD. This travels everywhere with me - it feels as good (well nearly) as my old FM and 80mm...

I have owned many camera bodies and lenses but only these 3 combinations make me want to take pictures - I pick them up and have to shoot...

What about the rest of you?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Perfect Combination...?
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
09th Feb 2013
Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer
09th Feb 2013
ECC233 Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
EpicDan Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Floridian Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
09th Feb 2013
grizzly200
10th Feb 2013
dagoldst Gold Member
10th Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Larry E30 Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
kennoll Gold Member
10th Feb 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
10th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Martin G
13th Feb 2013
Ray B
13th Feb 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
13th Feb 2013
Golfster Gold Member
13th Feb 2013
Tony G
13th Feb 2013
ggebert Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
mikehesley
13th Feb 2013
expat Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
GeneralNikon Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
Reply message Ditto what he said.
CapeCodDiver Gold Member
13th Feb 2013
hcirdoog Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography.
14th Feb 2013
nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Feb 2013
jhanes55 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
janicev Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
hfrank Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
autoexer Silver Member
16th Feb 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 09-Feb-13 04:19 PM
5076 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Hmmm. Interesting question.

1) Forty-five years ago in high school: Nikon F Photomic T with the 105mm f/2.5 AIS lens. Great for candids, great for portraits, good for indoor sports.

2) Mid-life: The current body with the current 80-200 or 70-200 lens. I just like the short- to medium-telephoto range. Probably stems from that first 105mm… Best body during that time was the F100.

3) Today: I'm older and find my D3s and f/2.8 glass are getting heavier every day. The primary set is the D800e with the 24-120mm f/4. The 70-200mm f/2.8 is usually along side, though the f/4 may be in the future. The D3s and 24-70mm f/2.8 get used when necessary.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 20th Jun 2006Sat 09-Feb-13 07:23 PM
4613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, UK

D4 and 500mm Reflex.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

ECC233 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 08:30 PM
315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hochwald, CH

What a good question?

Old days: My Zenit

Now: d4 with anything, especially the Sigma 180 2.8 macro

The d800e inspires me not at all .. I use it for dr when i have to , but without pleasure. I cannot rationalise this.

Ed

EpicDan Silver Member Charter MemberWed 13-Feb-13 01:02 PM
703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Paul, US

I'm with Ed.

D4 and anything. The D4 with 70-200 f/2.8 is an awesome combination for sports and candid shots. The 50mm f/1.4 works well when I feel like 'classic' photos. The 28-70 gives me maximum versatility.

If I have to pick one combination for "just go shoot for the enjoyment of photography" then it would be the D4 with 70-200 f/2.8.

Daniel McGowan

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 09:10 PM
3500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>D4 and 500mm Reflex.

Now that's an interesting focal length to use as default...

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 08:54 PM
2759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I don't know that I've found a perfect combination. My D300 is surely the camera part of my perfect combination. As for lenses, my 18-200 is on the camera a lot, because it is versatile and portable. When I travel on the airlines it is usually the only lens I take with me. But it's certainly not the perfect lens. That's why I have many others. There's no one lens that is perfect, even for most things, as I see it, so I use the lens that is best suited for whatever I'm shooting at the time.

I'd go further and suggest that for most of us, the reason we like interchangeable lens cameras is because there is no perfect lens.

Randy

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Sat 09-Feb-13 09:58 PM
467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 4

Oeiras, PT

Vintage (film): Nikon F Photomic FTn + 50mm f/1.4

Film: F100 + 28-105

Digital DX: D90 + 35 f/1.8

Digital FX: D700 + 35 f/2

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

grizzly200 Registered since 18th Dec 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 12:38 AM
707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Feb-13 09:59 AM by grizzly200

Solano County, California, US

Film days: Leica IIIf with 50/2 Summitar

Now: D300 with the 35mm f2 "O" manual focus.

James

dagoldst Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 10-Feb-13 04:59 PM
2367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Feb-13 07:02 PM by dagoldst

Little Rock, US

Several choices for me but none are perfect - there is no perfect combination for all shooting conditions.

At any rate...

Film

Canon AE-1P with 35mm f/2 or 50mm f/1.4 or 135mm f/3.5. When I am out shooting this camera, I often carry two, each with a different lens. Been shooting the AE-1P system since 1983 and the earlier AE-1 from 1977.

Nikon N80 24-120mm VR - old version of the lens - despite numerous people not liking it, mine works quite well. I am seriously thinking about an F100, except I have so darn many cameras these days.

Digital - for when I absolutely have to get the picture.

Nikon D600 - 24-85mm VR - I have even tried my older 24-120mm lens from above on the D600 and it actually takes quite good images.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Wed 13-Feb-13 03:43 PM
4857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 7

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

It's not really about the subject it's about the feel of the gear in your hands - you pick it up and you want to use it; it becomes an extension of your hands, your eyes, your mind.

The tactile quality of the 2 objects, lens and camera body just feel so good, the way they balance in the grip, the ergonomics and the heft.

All that and more.

I have owned many cameras and lenses but only those 3 combinations had all of the above and more...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 05:30 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

Right now I like my D300 with the 180/f2.8 Nikkor. There are other combinations that I really like but that combo is my favorite now.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 10-Feb-13 07:01 PM
3556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, UK

Past:

Early days fixed focus 120 film (Box Brownie and Ilford Sporti).

Later.

Olympus OM10 + 50mm f2.8 Zuiko
Olympus OM4Ti + 35mm Zuiko

Currently and every day:

FX - D800 28-300mm f3.5-5.6
DX - D7000 AF-S 300mm f4

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Larry E30 Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2009Sun 10-Feb-13 07:15 PM
2577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Old days ;

Pentax KX w Pentax 50mm f1.4

Recent ;

Nikon D5100 w Tokina 10-17mm full frame fisheye

Now ;

Panasonic GH1 w 7-14mm

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 08:40 PM
865 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Film days: Minolta X700, 35-70mm

Digital: D300s, Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 09:07 PM
4197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Film days - A Futura-S rangefinder. It was knock-off of a famous Contax design. It was made in a couple of different locations. Mine was made in England, assembled from parts manufactured in Japan and Germany. It has a remarkable little fixed, coated, 50mm, f/1.5 lens made under the Frilon brand name by Zeiss. The shutter is whisper quiet. It still feels natural in my hands. I still run a roll through it a couple of times a year. Superb for street shooting.

Digital - The D700 and the 24-120 f/4 VRII. I'm still not 100% sure about the D800 and that same 24-120 f/4 VRII, so the combo with the D700 still rules as far as I'm concerned. Thing is, the D700 is now sold and gone, so the D800 combo is looking better every day.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 03:43 AM
4464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu 14-Feb-13 03:51 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Am interested in your impressions here: "I'm still not 100% sure about the D800 and that same 24-120 f/4 VRII"? I'd be looking for street/travel use for this combo.

Edit: I see David just above likes it...

On the main topic, hmm, my 70-200 f/2.8 VR I (and now my II) on any camera I have owned. Not a good travel lens due to weight though, but wow the rewarding photos that have come out of those lenses! Breaking the rules a bit: perfect combo 24-70/70-200 on any two FX cameras...

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 03:19 AM
3500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Feb-13 03:23 AM by ZoneV

US

More and more, it's the D200 (without grip) and a 16-50mm DX lens these days. This is usually what I use when I'm out hunting for feature images for the newspaper. It's a compact setup.

The lens is great; it's an elastic normal lens (24-75mm equivalent) with excellent optics, and it has the ability to let you create shallow DOF or a strong foreground interest on demand. This lens also facilitates a more sophisticated form of image composition that I've been trying out over the past few months, which entails pulling back to show more of the environment with various layers, rather than just cropping tight by physically getting close and/or using a long focal length (which I practiced heavily for my first 15 years of serious shooting).

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Mon 11-Feb-13 04:48 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 13

Ohio, US

1970: Nikon F with 50mm f/1.4 (best camera I ever owned)

Now: My D300 with 35mm f/1.8 DX

Bill
D300
Nikon since 1970

Martin G Registered since 13th Sep 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 05:27 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 14

London, UK

I find my usual go to combo is a D700 with 17-35mm f2.8. For the sort of stuff I shoot this lens has a perfect range. This covers a mix of travel, landscape and interiors. I do usually have at least a 28-300mm with me too though.

Ray B Registered since 17th Dec 2008Wed 13-Feb-13 05:34 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Feb-13 05:40 PM by Ray B

Worthing, UK

The combo that really makes me smile is the D600 with the 24-120mm 4.0 VR (or the 28mm 1.8G, or.......)

I've finally achieved what I always wanted, a light compact FX rig with amazing IQ and images that make me smile. Happy days

Regards, Ray

Visit: My Nikonians Gallery

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 13-Feb-13 05:37 PM
4435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#20. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Alex.

If I am not shooting birds I would have to say my D3s and my 24-120 f/4. The combo feels great in my hands and with the high ISO capability coupled with VR and an excellent range of focal lengths, it is hard for me to pick a better combo. I have a ton of excellent glass and a wide range of Nikon DSLRs but I most often reach for this combo.

JIM

Golfster Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 05:51 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Upland, US

I'm with Ray B... the D600 with the 24-120/4 VRII (besides results and focal range, for the great balance and feel) or the 28/1.8 (nice and light-weight).

Best Regards, Dennis.

A Nikonian in California

My Nikonians Gallery

Tony G Registered since 14th Feb 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 06:33 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Live Oak, US

Nice idea for a thread...

My first Minolta XG with the 35-70 2.8

Then the Canon Elan IIe with the 20mm 2.8 Great for landscape!

And now even thought I have D-200's and D-300's and D-800's I still love the D-200 with the 50mm old school 2.8f it has great image compression and is a sharp as any lens I've ever owned....I've had this lens for 15 years and It still works great on all my Nikons.

Tony G

Talent will always overcome any short coming you may think your gear has!

Tony G

ggebert Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Sep 2004Wed 13-Feb-13 06:45 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Madrid, ES

For me it is the D700 with 24-70 f2.8. Perfect range for what I do most and very nice balance and the IQ is smooth and great. Also allows me to get maximum out of post-process. D200 with 18-200 easier to travel with and leaves me less tired at the end of the day but far less satisfied.

mikehesley Registered since 10th Jul 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 07:01 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Street shooting: Nikon D700 with Nikon 28-200 f/3.5-5.6 G

Photo shoots: Nikon D700 with Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 AF-S

I have a Nikon D800 that I bought before I got a D700, but I like the D700 more. The D800 is great, but the D700 just feels more fun and is better for fast changing subjects. Nikon should seriously reconsider the switchology of the D800 and change subsequent versions back to D700 switching. My thumb misses seriously misses the AF-Area Mode Selector switch..

Seriously.

expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010Wed 13-Feb-13 08:23 PM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 24

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT

Love my D200 and 18-200 VR but now my favourite is the D700 and Nikon 24-70 2.8.
I have a Nikon 70-200 2.8 and the 70-300 as well but the 24-70 has taken me back in time to a point when I didnt rely on a big zoom, it makes me think about the shot again.

GeneralNikon Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 09:47 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sun Prairie, US

My perfect combination is my D300 (Nov 2007) + Nikkor 17-55mm F/2.8 also purchased in November 2007.

The zoom lens is extremely sharp, fast, and has great contrast. I can count on getting great pictures with this combination. Saved for 3 years and have the money all ready to buy the D300/D300s replacement...D400.

Have a great day!
Del

CapeCodDiver Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 11:31 PM
70 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "Ditto what he said."
In response to Reply # 26

Sandwich, US

My D300 is almost always ready to go with the 17-55mm F/2.8.

I switch to the 70-300mmVR when I need the reach.

Chris

Long Haul Photo

hcirdoog Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2008Thu 14-Feb-13 01:50 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vero Beach, US

Either the D800 or D700 with Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED AF-S. Incredible sharpness from the lens at almost all f-stops, great low light ability with the 700 and great resolution with the 800. Overseas travel now with one of these combinations, my f2.8 20mm Nikkor and or my f2.8 70-200mm VR Nikkor, but for most of my shooting (90-95%), could get by with just the 24-120.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 14-Feb-13 01:57 PM
5008 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boudry, CH

I loved the Olympus OM-1 with its Zuiko 50/1.8. Maybe it's because that is the combo I bought in 1997 as my first SLR...

After that, I enjoyed the F100 and the AF-S 28-70/2.8.

Nowadays, with bodies that seem to be much less durable, I favor my D700 with either a fast prime, an AF-D 50/1.8 or a 85/1.8 AF-D, or the 28-300VR.

But I must confess that I have discovered the joy of a high-end compact with the Fuji X10, and now a second-hand X100, which tend to explain why I am not as often as I tended to be on the Landscape forum...

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

nikonus Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 09:16 PM
441 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 14-Feb-13 10:26 PM by nikonus

San Diego, US

I will take the 300mm Afs 2.8 VR for nature / sports photos . With a D800 you can use a 14-24 mm 2.8 as a normal 50 mm at 24 mm settings .The file size is so large even a cropped image will work well . Many of my gallery images are only cropped to 30% of the frame .With the 14mm working for street / landscape / small interiors of( cars /aircraft )photos .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

jhanes55 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2010Thu 14-Feb-13 09:42 PM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Surprise, US

Old : Fotomic /Nikkormat/Fm 50 1.4 /43-86
now:
D100 / D70 / D600 w/Sigma 24-135 2.8-4.5 /24 2.8 / 35 70 2.8
sometime with 80-200 2.8.
They all go anywhere I want to be.

janicev Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2009Fri 15-Feb-13 05:40 AM
502 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Duvall, US

1.Brownie (Fiesta, I think it was.) I got it when I was still a little kid and took pictures constantly until it finally broke apart in 1970.

2.Nikon FM (still have it) with a Tamron SP 90 (stolen).

I use a D90 now but it is not as loved as that little FM.

hfrank Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Nov 2004Fri 15-Feb-13 02:52 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, MI, United States, US

Harry Frank

My go-to combination is my D300 + Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 lens. I shoot cross-country ski races, air shows, birds in flight. It's light enough so I don't need a sherpa (as I would with Nikon's 6-pound 300mm f/2.8), carried with a CarrySpeed sling strap it doesn't swing around when I scramble over rocks or hit my poles when I'm on skis, the sensor size gives me a 1.5 magnification effect, which compensates nicely for what I sacrifice using the 200, the 70mm setting (equivalent to a full frame 105mm) is a very nice candid portrait camera for holiday parties and such.

There are situations in which I could use more reach than I get with with 200mm, but I'm waiting eagerly for the D400, which should give me the crop options I need to bring in that elk or falcon that's just a bit too far away for the D300/70-200 combo.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 03:52 AM
1187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat 16-Feb-13 04:00 AM by Vlad_IT

US

My starter kit was 35mm Kiev 17 + 50mm f/2

later N90s + 80-200 (two-ring)

Now. D7000 gripped and 70-200 vrII. Problem is it's quite heavy combo and a head turner as well. I do not carry it too often, just when i decide to devote time to photography.

Just purchased 55-200 VR (just becuase it was $134). I hope to have it all the time with me on D7000 no grip for light weight go anywhere combination. (i tried to carry P7000 all the time, but i get frustrated with it's speed performance for snapshots/candid shots)

Best regards,
Vlad

autoexer Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2011Sat 16-Feb-13 09:19 PM
1022 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Perfect Combination...?"
In response to Reply # 35

Waukesha, US

now - Film: FA with f/2.8 AI-s macro

Digital: D70 with 18-70mm (the original kit lens!)

Df, FA, FG, F

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86937 Previous topic | Next topic