Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A few random thoughts...

Omaha, US
566 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012
Thu 07-Feb-13 05:05 PM

A few random thoughts, in no particular order and of no particular value:

- The price of used medium format film gear is pretty attractive these days. I find myself pining for a Pentax 645N with a nice, sharp manual-focus prime lens. Only the recognition that such a setup will inevitably lead to a whole avalanche of processing/scanning/archiving/workflow issues keeps me from pulling the trigger. I have too much on my plate already.

- Digital cameras are not heirloom pieces the way film cameras are. All digital cameras are disposable.

- With integrated AF motors and image stabilization components, new lenses are probably disposable too.

- Life has a way of getting condensed. A semester's worth of work in school gets reduced to a single grade. A year of effort by thousands of people in a large corporation gets reduced to a single report of "earnings per share". A portrait can be like that. Take the right portrait of someone...the portrait that really captures their personality...and it can become the definitive icon that represents who they are. In the process, an entire life can be condensed down to an instant in time that lasted 1/500th of a second.

- The amount of saturation coming off of point and shoot cameras has ruined it for me. I find myself drifting more and more into a very de-saturated, grungy look for my photographs.

- Nothing matters more on a portrait than the women and how they believe they "look".

- Most people look fantastic when in the throes of a full-on 'belly laugh...but few like that look on themselves. "Attractive" is synonymous with "familiar", and no one ever sees themselves laughing.

- As good as autofocus is anymore, I still can't make myself trust that the camera will decide to focus on the right spot.

- New cameras have too many features for me. I don't want anything to do with video. I don't want anything to do with JPG conversion. I like auto focus and generally like auto exposure, but that's about it. All the other features just clog up the interface. What I want is a camera that is SIMPLE and GOOD: Big, high range, high resolution sensor. RAW mode only. Simple and intuitive controls. Not cluttered up with a bunch of "features" that I don't want. The good news is they make cameras like that. The bad news is they are medium format digital and cost more than my car. Well, assuming I had a nice car.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Reply message RE: A few random thoughts...