nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Popular Lenses Phenomenon

CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA
320 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
CaptainYooh Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011
Wed 06-Feb-13 04:39 PM | edited Thu 07-Feb-13 09:42 PM by CaptainYooh

I noticed that some Nikon lenses are incredibly popular and continuously fetch re-sale prices closely approaching their new prices. I am not talking about some out-of-production or rare lenses, no. These are lenses still being produced and available at most respectable stores. On any given day, one can find hundreds of 50mm/1.4 AF-D's, which is a good lens, at bargain basement prices on e-Bay; yet, a marginally better Chinese-made 50mm/1.4G AF-S is rarely re-sold and when it is, re-sells for close to $450+shipping cost. A new one is available from most dealers in North America for $520 with 5-yr warranty that is not transferable. Another example: 105mm/2.0 AF-D DC - $1,050 at the stores new, $850-950 - used on e-Bay. 24-70/2.8 is another one and there are other good illustrations. At the same time, some other decent lenses (e.g. 18-200, 70-300 etc.) seem as if everyone is trying to dump them with re-sell prices lingering at 50% mark compared to new; thus, reflecting this unpopularity accordingly. I fully understand the supply-demand relationships, but this defies logic for me. Not many particular kind of lenses on the re-sale market suggests that people like them and want to hang onto them. Great, understandable. But the supply of new lenses of this same kind is there! It is neither hindered nor reserved. What prompts people to pay this much for re-sale considering significant loss of value associated with non-transferable warranty (at least in Canada it is not transferable)?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon