Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86900
View in linear mode

Subject: "Popular Lenses Phenomenon" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Wed 06-Feb-13 04:39 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
Thu 07-Feb-13 09:42 PM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

I noticed that some Nikon lenses are incredibly popular and continuously fetch re-sale prices closely approaching their new prices. I am not talking about some out-of-production or rare lenses, no. These are lenses still being produced and available at most respectable stores. On any given day, one can find hundreds of 50mm/1.4 AF-D's, which is a good lens, at bargain basement prices on e-Bay; yet, a marginally better Chinese-made 50mm/1.4G AF-S is rarely re-sold and when it is, re-sells for close to $450+shipping cost. A new one is available from most dealers in North America for $520 with 5-yr warranty that is not transferable. Another example: 105mm/2.0 AF-D DC - $1,050 at the stores new, $850-950 - used on e-Bay. 24-70/2.8 is another one and there are other good illustrations. At the same time, some other decent lenses (e.g. 18-200, 70-300 etc.) seem as if everyone is trying to dump them with re-sell prices lingering at 50% mark compared to new; thus, reflecting this unpopularity accordingly. I fully understand the supply-demand relationships, but this defies logic for me. Not many particular kind of lenses on the re-sale market suggests that people like them and want to hang onto them. Great, understandable. But the supply of new lenses of this same kind is there! It is neither hindered nor reserved. What prompts people to pay this much for re-sale considering significant loss of value associated with non-transferable warranty (at least in Canada it is not transferable)?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon
mklass Platinum Member
06th Feb 2013
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
06th Feb 2013
Indigo586
06th Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
06th Feb 2013
07th Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
07th Feb 2013
Covey22 Moderator
07th Feb 2013
SweetMK
07th Feb 2013
BR
08th Feb 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
08th Feb 2013
08th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
14th Feb 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 06-Feb-13 05:09 PM
5980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I think it is all a question of perceived value as well as supply and demand.

All the lenses you mention would be considered "pro", current model lenses. As people move up, they want to sell their "consumer" and kit lenses and get "pro' glass. Rarely do people go the other way.

The value of the "pro" lenses is perceived as being higher and people are willing to pay more and ask for more. Sometime those lenses, like the DC lenses, are not available due to limited production runs.

Value is based on what a sell is willing to agree to sell for and a buyer is willing to pay. You may not agree with that being a good value for you, but enough people in the marketplace think it is right to set a typical price.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Wed 06-Feb-13 08:10 PM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 1

Calgary, CA

I wasn't questioning the value of a good lens at all, Mick. I am puzzled as to why would anyone pay $450 for a used lens without a warranty, when a new one is readily available at $520 with 5-yr warranty.

Indigo586 Registered since 25th Jan 2013Wed 06-Feb-13 08:17 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I would rather have a 50mm f/1.4 AF-D made in Japan than the G

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 06-Feb-13 11:49 PM
5980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

I imagine some people value saving the $70 (about 15%) of the cost of the lens.

I have never sent a lens in for warranty repair. I have sent lenses in for repair due to impact damage, but that isn't a warranty item. I have had lenses that were defective when i bought them and they were returned or replaced under the terms of sale.

About 1/2 of the lenses that I have bought have been pre-owned. Of those, only 1 was in need of repair due to impact damage that the seller did not disclose and would not acknowledge.

So, in my experience, saving money by buying good, used, non-warranty lenses isn't much of a risk. I wish I could save 15% on everything.

Mick
or

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Thu 07-Feb-13 01:28 AM
#5. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 07-Feb-13 07:19 PM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

Well, that is the only reasonable explanation that I could come up with as well but it is still a stretch for me to accept. My colleague had to send his 28-70/2.8 AF-S for repairs when the AF stopped working and it was nearly $400 bill.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 07-Feb-13 01:44 AM
#6. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

I gues it just depends on you experience with needing lens repairs.

Mine don't fail under warranty. I break them by dropping them and I need to pay regardless. And $400 is typical.

Mick
or

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 07-Feb-13 05:08 PM
10673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Not a generalization, but I note that most eBay shoppers aren't savvy enough to used-market brokers or other resale sites to note that they're paying nearly retail rates for used equipment as you observed. It's simply a case of Hey I got it on eBay, I landed a bargain! Indeed...for the seller!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 08:15 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Yes it does happen, and it is not a new phenomenon.

I went to an auction in 1975 where over 100 farm tractors sold each for a price greater than the cost new at a dealer.

We were amazed, the tractors were used, many with defaced serial numbers.

It is more a situation of novice buyer than anything else.

Or excitement of the moment, something causes it.

The internet causes amazing things to happen, doesn't it?

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 12:14 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

I've noticed too how people pay almost new prices for used lenses. In some cases it may be the last minute auction frenzy where people don't want to be outbid. That tends to raise prices above what might be a more rational level.

In assessing the price of a mint condition used lens, I would use the grey market new lens price as the comparison point.

The other thing I've observed on sites like Amazon is that there are sometimes listings for a used item with a ridiculously astronomical price. I always wondered if any of those listings ever sell out.

Barry

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Fri 08-Feb-13 09:43 PM
4550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

I would take an AF-S lens over a D lens any day. Remember that D lenses won't autofocus on many of the lower end Nikon models.

I also agree with the point about warranty. I've never had any Nikon equipment fail under warranty.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Fri 08-Feb-13 10:13 PM
#11. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 08-Feb-13 10:28 PM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

This is going a bit off-topic now , but Nikon equipment, as any other equipment does break occasionally (and unfortunately). I did have issues with AF on my D3X that needed extensive, and expensive, repairs within the first year of ownership (it was done under warranty). This is not a lens, granted, but you'd mentioned "Nikon equipment". Warranty is a huge factor for me, personally. This is like people who do and don't buy insurance. Peace of mind definitely carries a value premium for me.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 01:57 AM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 11

Alberta, CA

I agree the 5-year lens warranty is a big factor for me, so I buy new if the lens I am buying is something that is other than a stop-gap or stepping-stone. I did buy a lot of used lenses on my way up though, and was able to resell them for little loss.

I've had my 500VR in the shop twice on warranty (broken metal ring that holds the tripod foot, and blown AF motor). No charge and no shipping cost (walked it down to my local dealer both times).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 08:54 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Popular Lenses Phenomenon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The list of lenses you list are all current lenses, and very well built lenses. And lenses without obvious and reasonably affordable upgrade paths.

(I don't consider the 200/2 as a "reasonably affordable" upgrade to a 70-200/2.8, for example, and as a prime it is really a different and far more specialized tool for a far more specialized job)

70-300/5.6's are traded for 70-200/2.8. AF-D lenses are traded for AF-S lenses, for the reason Martin and others suggest.

If the 50/1.4 AF-S were upgraded to a 50/1.4 AFS/VR, I suspect it would also suffer a lot of price depreciation as long as the new VR model was not too much higher priced.

I mention VR because it is the only obvious big bullet feature I could think of to add to the current AF-S model.

It would be nice to see if the 105 and 13 5DC lenses take a big dive if they are ever replaced with similar DC featured AFS lenses. I've always wanted to play with one of those, at a price.

The 85/1.4 AF-D might be an exception to the way I classified things. It seems to have held value very well last time I looked. But the new AF-S version is quite pricey indeed, and takes things well out of the $1000 price point of the AF-D model into what I think is a very different level.

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86900 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.