Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86893
View in linear mode

Subject: "old photos home" Previous topic | Next topic
TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Wed 06-Feb-13 04:16 AM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"old photos home"

AU

does anyone else have photos that you don't want to delete but you have no real use for them now.

They might be technically sound, or show a great angle, or lighting.. but aren't really about anything, or arty or even commercial.. they are just well shot photos of stuff.. what do you do with them?

www.impressstphotography.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: old photos home
SheriB Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
blw Moderator
06th Feb 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
TashSt Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
rutherfordphoto
06th Feb 2013
Omaha
07th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
12th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
12th Feb 2013

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 10:32 AM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Put them onto the external back up drives. Look at them every few months..delete a few when I may realize they really suck since I have gotten better at my craft, or keep them so when feeling discouraged I can think.."ok I have gotten better. " Others I think.."when I learn to use ...insert pp prpgram here..I think I can do something with this shot."

Sheri Becker

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 06-Feb-13 11:12 AM
26546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

They stay in my Lightroom catalog, ideally with one or more keywords, and probably with an appropriate number of stars that indicate how technically good it is. You never know when one of these might end up as a good piece of a composite, or something completely unforeseen like that.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 06-Feb-13 03:32 PM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>They stay in my Lightroom catalog, ideally with one or more
>keywords, and probably with an appropriate number of stars
>that indicate how technically good it is. You never know when
>one of these might end up as a good piece of a composite, or
>something completely unforeseen like that.

I never delete anything. I learned this from reading Dirk Halstead's story about his photo of Monica Lewinsky. I don't understand why there is a need to delete digital files; they don't take up physical space. They don't increase the chance of your drive crashing. No one is going to see them, most likely, or judge you by them.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

TashSt Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for her great compositional insight and talent, as she is always willing to experiment with new perspectives. This is particularly evident in the exceptional, captivating images she posts in the Nude Forum where she always shares in the Nikonians spirit.
Nikonian since 23rd Jul 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 09:58 PM
543 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Surely there's a point where your hard drive fills up.

I have been (since someone told me to here) shooting in RAW and jpeg, so I actually get two copies of everything, probably filling up my hard drive unnecessarily.

Thanks for the answers everyone.. good to see I'm not the only one with excess issues.

Thanks for the tip using keywords in light room. Think I might start using the cataloguing features in that program instead of the windows viewer.

www.impressstphotography.com

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 11:37 AM
1950 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

I tend to move shots that were for learning into certain temp folders that are subject to deletion when I am done with them. If the are really minor, (like I was testing a new lens or flash), when I am satisfied with what I have learned, they go to the bit bucket.

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Wed 06-Feb-13 02:48 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

I edit as a go, and I rarely just take just one photograph of something. So if I don't need it, even photos of family... they go in the trash. If I take 15 pictures of my son building a snowman, I'll keep 2-3 good ones and ditch the rest.

I always make sure I have at least a few different angles if it's interesting, but if I've shot 60-70 images of the same subject, then I'll keep a few and discard the rest.

Even for clients... I only keep the ones I send to them. If I shot 200 images, and sent them 40, after a few months I delete the rest. It just saves so much space.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 03:20 AM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 4

Omaha, US

I try to be pretty ruthless on deleting photos. I shoot people almost exclusively (when I'm not doing product shots at work). After a two hour session, I might come back with 300 or so RAW files. Its a fairly simple matter to weed out 75% of them (eyes closed, horrible expression, hopelessly bad technically, etc) right off the bat. I don't see any point in keeping those.

Then the hard work of culling a couple dozen or so "keeper-candidates" from the rest begins. But if it makes it past the initial weed-out, it never gets deleted after that.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 11:51 AM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I try to rate images once and move on so I don't go back and review or delete old images. Everything is archived.

Part of the problem is you never know what will happen down the road. I had a project a couple of months ago that had very specific image requirements - and got down to the level of needing images that I had previously not included as selects. They ultimately bought images I considered to have flaws, but the images complimented the entire project and worked as a group. If I had been ruthless about culling images, theses might have been eliminated.

Now I am a lot stricter on what is kept when it comes to some subjects. For example, I'll reject a bird photograph over slight differences in head position, the lack of a catchlight, etc. But in this case I have hundred of images and dozens with good head position and a catchlight. An image of a rare bird with a poor head position is very different than a common bird with a poor head position.

Now shooting purely for the purpose of practice is different. I do practice photography - subjects, light angles, settings, etc. Typically these images are not ever going to have a purpose and would be discarded. But I do keep a sampling of test images.

The bottom line for me - storage is cheaper than the time to spend extra time reviewing images that you might or might not need.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 02:20 AM
25576 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Tash,

The only images I delete are complete junk.
Hard drive space is cheap and as my Grandfather often said: " It might come in handy sometime!".
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 03:08 AM
1950 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: old photos home"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

>they are just well shot photos of stuff.. what do
>you do with them?
>

I keep them...

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86893 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.