Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86851
View in linear mode

Subject: "Death of the Point and Shoot" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 01-Feb-13 11:35 AM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Death of the Point and Shoot"

Atlanta, US

Herb Greenberg of CNBC presented a provocative position on the growth of cameras - the death of the digital point and shoot. Here's a good article form Photoshelter highlighting the article and the trends.
http://blog.photoshelter.com/2013/01/journalist-forecasts-the-death-of-the-digital-point-and-shoot/

The articles point out that while DSLR volume is growing slowly, Point and shoot sales declined by 28% last year - 33% in the fourth quarter which is the biggest.

In contrast, phones and mobile devices almost always have cameras and produce more images than all digital cameras combined. Part of this is you shoot with the camera that is with you - and a mobile device is always with you. Part of this is the sheer volume of amateurs who take photos with phones.

The greater implication of this is the impact on the financial condition of Nikon and Canon. Canon has a huge market share in the point and shoot market - and must be the company most affected by the loss in volume. And they don't really have a viable mirrorless entry at this time. The Nikon 1 line seems to be just in time to develop a position to replace point and shoot cameras.

From my perspective, I bought multiple cameras last year including two V1 cameras. I bought another iPad and iPhone. But I have no expectation of ever buying another point and shoot.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Death of the Point and Shoot
gbheron Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
Covey22 Moderator
01st Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
01st Feb 2013
Robman3
01st Feb 2013
spiritualized67 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
04th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Reply message Time magazine cover with an iPhone
ericbowles Moderator
04th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
10th Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
10th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
04th Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Martin Turner Moderator
04th Feb 2013
snegron Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
JonK Moderator
05th Feb 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
dagoldst Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
ericbowles Moderator
11th Feb 2013
11th Feb 2013
jhearl Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
11th Feb 2013
Jimi Team Member
13th Feb 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
18th Feb 2013
paulfree17 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
avm247 Moderator
13th Feb 2013
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
14th Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
spraay2236
25th Feb 2013

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 02:58 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Feb-13 03:00 PM by gbheron

Cedar Falls, US

Good morning, Eric,

The only reason I recently purchased another point-and-shoot was to have a waterproof camera for my kayaking adventures!

Happy Nikon shooting,
Randy

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 03:41 PM
1845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

How about cameras that put DSLR performance in P&S size packages, e.g. RX1 from Sony or the Merrill cameras from Sigma?

Tristan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 01-Feb-13 04:59 PM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 2

US

RX1 and the like are still too specialized, not to mention too expensive, to qualify as P&S per se. The convergence of constant-connection, portability and good camera design is already there - the Nokia Pureview 808 for example.

It's also a generational trend. With the move to online storage and instant upload, general photography has shifted away from image quality and camera capability and is now more about timeliness and availability. Take it anytime, share it anytime. Instantly. Is it a bad thing? Depends on what you care about.

There will eventually be a shift on the equilibrium. At some point, there will be phones with great cameras, and great cameras with phones. Same thing with tablets - although I find it seems rather awkward to film events with 10 or even 7 inch tablets, I see this happening more and more.

The camera's main advantage has always been two things - one it takes photos well, period. It excels in it's dedicated purpose. And if you have the right camera, it's versatile because it might allow you to change lenses, add accessories to enhance illumination, record sound, etc. With the convergence to smaller and smaller devices, the response to those advantages might be in software. HDR, "soft lenses" that let you change your focal length without physically manipulating the optics through programs, or even the LightField technology used by Lytro. It will be an interesting, but disruptive time for photographers in the next few decades. Personally, I like my cameras, but they're old and battered, like myself, so I have an affinity to them. But I look forward to seeing what technological innovations are coming to change the way images are captured.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 01-Feb-13 05:14 PM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

I was with Jason O'Dell a couple of weeks ago and he was shooting incredible panoramas with his iPhone. The phone also had an HDR app, editing apps, etc. He also had a V2.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 06:43 PM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks Eric,

Great stuff.

RM

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 08:23 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

Interesting and valid points Eric. If you look beyond just cameras, you'll see the continued trend towards product miniaturization.

Essentially more technology is being crammed into smaller form factors. Combine this with a consumer’s insatiable desire to have a ubiquitous product that can do it all, and it's easy to see why P&S would be on the decline.

Yes, why buy a P&S when we've got an 8MP camera built into our "take me everywhere, do everything" device; a device that has built in post processing and the ability to seamlessly integrate with our digital lives.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 06:45 PM
2100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

It's to be expected - My guess is whatever may remain in the small sensor arena will be owned by smartphones - my Galaxy SIII actually takes pretty decent images considering the ridiculous small sensor size and has a better AF than any inexpensive P&S I have handled - (and the kicker is I gave $49 for it on Cyber Monday).

Still, I see myself buying something like the next generation Canon G1X with a decently speedy AF that the camera is currently missing. I still require the ability to shoot differential focus images of places and people that both P&S and smartphones can't do well at all and from my understanding of sensor size to focal length, never will. Oh, and I desire it in a small, efficient, reasonably priced package, (sure, why not? ).

David

"Sawed that board three times and it is still too short... "

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 04-Feb-13 12:25 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I'm not quite there yet. I'm just wrapping up a long weekend at Disney World. I took my P7000 and Gail had her P7700. I cannot imagine shooting the fireworks with my iPhone5. I appreciated setting my WB and shutter speed.

The V cameras are nice, but you have to carry flash and lenses. My Coolpix slipped right into my pocket and that is convenient with built in flash and a good working zoom range.

Point and shoot cameras probably will die, but I'm not there yet.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 12:48 PM
1236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

I wonder if a smart-phone can ever have a really good camera? One to rival say a P7000? or even one of the slightly larger point and shoots?

I maintain bulletin boards of photos at our church and people love to look at them and comment on how great they are, then ask if I can print some of their's (from their phones). Yes and No of course.

But from a point and shoot I can sometimes do a half-decent job.

What about a point and shoot the size of a phone but thicker to contain a better flash (pop up a few inches) and a lens that rolls out to a few inches? And of course, lets you make a phone call!

Someone interested in photography might go for that rather than a normal smart-phone, and just "maybe" it could be made to do a half decent job?

Those whose end-game is to post on facebook and forget about it might be happy with the thin phone, those who wanted something for posterity and artistic value would go for a "bit" larger.

(me, I will stay with my D90 or D600 in the future maybe)

----
Dennis Smith.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 04-Feb-13 01:43 PM
#10. "Time magazine cover with an iPhone"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

Here's a link to an interview with the award winning photographer that used an iPhone for an image that was the cover of Time magazine's Sandy coverage.

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/11/06/time-magazine-cover-shot-with-iphone/

Here's a link to his website.
http://www.benlowy.com/

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Mon 04-Feb-13 04:00 PM
2100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 9

Little Rock, US

One thing that app developers are working on for smartphones are HDR apps. I have tried out two since reading this thread - HDR Camera and Pro HDR Camera - neither work all that well on a truely high DR image, (least ways with my SIII, but I can see the potential.

I also see no reason for better, even larger, sensors to make their way into the phones.

David

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 10-Feb-13 02:04 PM
4539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 8

Milwaukee, US

I concur regarding your comments, Scott, to some extent. When at Disney world this past November, I took my P7000 some days and the Fuji X10 on other days (didn't take a DSLR on the trip). Indeed, the Fuji X10 (a recent acquisition that I have really liked--so much that I got its big brother the X100 for street photography and general carry around since it is so good) out performed the P7000 and I am a Nikon guy! The P7000 and X10, nonetheless, as high end P&S gave me flexibility with some control that I could never get with my iPhone.

While I used my iPhone some, it was never my camera of choice because it needs great light and if the light is not great the images are horribly noisy. So for good light, iPhone is nice, but that is about it and you give control back to the camera.

I think that with so many resources out there (local classes at camera stores, online photo schools, articles in abundance on the internet, camera clubs, etc., etc.) more and more folks are learning that the majority of P&S do not provide a level of control. I saw that at my camera club the other night. Some folks had nice images but because they couldn't control DOF and shutter on the lower end P&S they are starting to see that they are limited in possibilities.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 10-Feb-13 03:02 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 20

Powder Springs, US

Oh true. I would rather have brought my DSLRs, but over 3 days, I walked about 25 miles and road some roller coasters. The good cameras would have been a burden, as Im sure you know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Mon 04-Feb-13 04:21 PM
#12. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Little Rock, US

Interesting counterpoint

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/1040822089/smartcamera-future-for-apple

David

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 04-Feb-13 05:48 PM
#13. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

Interesting.

#4 on the list is already in place. Using my Eye-Fi card I can take a DSLR image, immediately copy it to my iPhone or iPad, edit it using Snapseed or other apps, and upload it to Facebook, Twitter, or even my website.

I do think the article brings up some great points about integration of cameras with devices. My Linksys wireless router has a app to control it using my phone or iPad. There's no reason why I should not be able to control a next generation DSLR with an app on my iPad rather than via Camera Control Pro or similar products.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 10:19 PM
1236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

I want my camera to also be my wakeup alarm -- my wife will love it if I take my D90 to bed with me -- she suspects I might do that now anyway

----
Dennis Smith.

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 09:25 PM
4544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Bidford on Avon, GB

I was sent two point and shoot cameras last year by the manufacturers to review (and keep). Although both — an Olympus and a Samsung — were great devices, I have rarely taken them anywhere after the review period. The iPhone does all of the P&S snapping that I want, and for anything more I want my D3.

Overall I agree with the article — camera phones are driving out the casual snap cameras.

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 10:41 PM
1505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 04-Feb-13 10:45 PM by snegron

Cape Coral, Florida, US

I am most likely an odd exception; I insist on having a cell phone for voice calls only (no text, no internet access, no apps) and prefer having a camera (P&S or other) with me to take pictures. For online use I have a computer. I also own a GPS. I can live perfectly well without having all my items available on one single device.

I am sure that I am most likely the only person on the planet who has these preferences, but I am happy.

Will cell phones or cell phone/camera hybrid devices continue to evolve until they eventually dominate the market (like digital killed film)? Yes. Is it something I would like to see? No. Do I have a choice or any say in this matter? No.

So, for the time being I will continue to use my cell phone for calling purposes only and my camera for capturing images until camera manufacturers cave in and focus all their production and aggressive marketing toward shoving their highly profitable products down our throats (as usual).

p.s. I am currently looking into getting another P&S camera for travel. My LX3 is reaching its end, so I need to replace it soon.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 05-Feb-13 12:04 AM
4621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 16

New York, US

I'm more with Martin. I jump from my iPhone to my D800 or D3s. I'm trying to train myself to use my V1 for some circumstances, but thus far…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 09:12 AM
3352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 17
Tue 05-Feb-13 09:14 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

<<I'm more with Martin. I jump from my iPhone to my D800 or D3s. I'm trying to train myself to use my V1 for some circumstances, but thus far…>>

Jon. I have trained myself to use the V1, however I did find it a bit of an upwards trek! Switching from a dSLR is difficult as the menu function is, in my view, very non intuitive. I don't know why they couldn't have a adopted the menu style from Nikon dSLR's and Coolpix P range. Perhaps they have in the V2, I don't know as a body only is so outrageously priced at present!

However, after much determination it's all come together, both with FX AF-S lenses and CX lenses. I have a feeling though that using my FT-1 will become an occasional excursion even with the successes I have had. My D7000 and D800 just do so much more and more easily The V1 wins hands down on weight, but so does the Coolpix P range.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

dagoldst Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 11:43 AM
#19. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 16

Little Rock, US

>I am most likely an odd exception; I insist on having a cell
>phone for voice calls only (no text, no internet access, no
>apps) and prefer having a camera (P&S or other) with me to
>take pictures.

I was the same way till work required me to have a smartphone. Now I have a Samsung Galaxy SIII and have found the little camera to be handier than I ever imagined though it has not replaced any DSLR.

I think what I have wound up observing in other folks that are not photographers, is that these little built-in cameras are to handy to avoid using and there are now some better apps for editing those pics. Taking it to an extreme are sites like below.

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/6401294793/photojournalist-lowy-shares-favorite-image-eyem

David

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Mon 11-Feb-13 03:55 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 19

Ohio, US

I just returned from a vacation and saw almost everyone shooting pictures with their iPhones. Instant posting to social media sites- times are changing fast.

Bill
D300
Nikon since 1970

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Feb-13 10:31 AM
#23. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 22

Atlanta, US

Likewise I was at a Chinese New Year celebration yesterday. I counted more than 20 phone cameras, 3 DSLR's, 2 video cameras, 2 Point and Shoots, and one tablet.

If you looked at the amount invested in these devices, more money was invested in the phones than any other type of device - by a good margin.

What was also interesting is about half of the phones were recording video rather than stills.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 11-Feb-13 11:32 AM
3352 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 23

Dyserth, GB

I don't mind them taking video or stills, technology has bridged a gap. What I think is a shame is that at any bus stop, train station or just walking along their eyes are on the gadget and their fingers are tapping away. No one talks to each other anymore My well grown up kids are exactly the same.

The UK Landscape Photographer of the Year competition, used to have mobile phone category and some of the results were very impressive, but they seem to have dropped that category a few years ago.

I don't think that the smart phone will ever overtake any type of interchangeable lens camera, or even advanced compact, as it just seems to be the preserve of the happy snapper.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

jhearl Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Apr 2007Mon 11-Feb-13 03:02 PM
463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, VA, US

Check out these amazing photos - all done on cell phones.

http://mobilephotographyblog.com/

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dancingtuna

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 11-Feb-13 03:24 PM
#26. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 25

Dyserth, GB

Some terrific images there no doubt about that. Trouble is these are taken, I am betting by folks who have at least an interest in photography, to have bothered with issues like composition, exposure and technique. The images my kids post with their iPhones are quite frankly truly awful and could be so much better with a little thought. I can always tell a facebook post where some effort is taken from the click from the hip guys.

Incidentally, your flickr images are really great to look at and your kit reflects the quality.

Richard

Jimi Team Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 05:27 PM
327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Feb-13 05:33 PM by Jimi

South Lake Tahoe, US

First, why can't my D800E answer my calls? That would be the ultimate.

A quick story, I was at the lake beach with a colleague just enjoying the day while we where watching and photographing the sunset. Me with my DSLR him with his iPhone. When it finally started to get good I sat back and enjoyed it taking a few shots now and then. My friend had his face in the phone the whole time, missing the sunset, he just kept fussing with apps to alter his photo. Hey, you're missing the sunset! In a minute, in a minute he replied.

After the event was over he showed me what he did with his image. Nice, but no cigar, he missed the moment. Not the shot, just the enjoyment of being there.

This is not related to the story, just something I see more and more in the field:

Jim Stamates
Nikonians Academy Workshop Instructor

http://www.nikoniansacademy.com
http://stamates.com/blog
http://www.stamates.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Mon 18-Feb-13 10:47 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 27

Cumming, US

Exactly why cant the 800E answer your calls. Probably because its going to be hard to hold to your ear. Kidding aside the camera companies need to stop complaining and buy a small maker HTC, for example and integrate phones, smart applications into p&s cameras.

The thinking is that its probably a niche market but probably not if well executed. One does not need a single device but an eco system, the phone built into the camera acts as a wireless hot spot for the camera. Want to post a picture to a social media site, no problem. A tablet that is 7"-10" that has bluetooth connects to the camera (and the phone). Want to look at a bigger picture, no problem, grab it from the camera and look at it from your tablet. Need to edit it on the spot, okay. Journalists on assignment could be getting stuff to their editors that much faster. You don't have to buy the whole, don't need the tablet don't buy it. Don't want to carry the 800E around everywhere? The phone snaps out. Its probably going to take someone smarter than me to sort it all out, but there is money in them thar hills.

Wild opinions and dreams.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

paulfree17 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2009Wed 13-Feb-13 05:42 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

Montville, US

Last week I went to my grandson's 6th bday party. I was going to bring along my D7000 and flash but my wife did not want me taking pictures the whole time. When we got there my step-daughter handed me her P&S camera and asked my to take pictures of the party. It took me almost a half hour to find the controls for color balance, how to set the ISO, find the red-eye correction etc. When I shoot with my D7000 I always shoot in raw and use post-processing but since she was going to take the camera with only Jpegs I wanted to really nail the exposure. Maybe if I had a couple of hours to learn the camera it may have been better but let's just say it was not the kind of work I am used to.

By the end of the party I had handed her back her P&S and started using my IPHONE 4S and was getting better results.

Visit My Gallery at Pfotos-By-PFreedman

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Wed 13-Feb-13 06:05 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 28

Maidenhead, GB

I think there's still a market for a point and shoot. The sensors are bigger, the lenses are better and they produce better pictures than phone cameras. The serious 'tog will use one when travelling light, and (dare I say it) the older generation who haven't hooked into the whole smartphone thing will still make up a large portion of the market segment.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 13-Feb-13 06:03 PM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Feb-13 06:05 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

But I have no expectation of ever buying another point and shoot.

Given the image quality of most camera phones I have to say that I would not be buying a P&S digicam either.

Last Sunday was Chinese New Year and I took the family out for Dim Sum. After brunch, we went to the State Capital and to Sutter's Fort. Didn't have my camera with me, but I did have my Iphone and I have to say, I was pleased with the results (my Iphone 5 images seemed better to me than my wife's similar Iphone 4s, especially the HDR images). I had it with me so I used it - I would have used any camera with me, really.

I would not want to only use a camera phone on a trip. I'd rather use my D700 (and am seriously considering a Nikon 1 kit for small, light travel).

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 12:47 AM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 29

Alberta, CA

I mostly dislike the average iPhone photo - can't stand the noise!

For me, my DSLRs and lenses have all gotten bigger in the 6 years I have been a Nikonians member.

I finally bit on a small camera, when the the V1 came out because it shoots Nikon RAW and fits perfectly into my PP workflow, is fast focussing, and shoots high speed video (sorry about the music ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqsNqu6mJEo&list=UUoKGI3vCiMUD7_8AjEnaV3w&index=2

For connectivity, I will be investigating any and all options for my DSLRs, as that is important these days. So yes I see it also going the other way like dpreview mentions, where our DSLRs are getting better at being connected.

I must say my wife and daughters are iPhone photographers, though one is going to take my V1 with her to South America to supplement her iPhone.

Besides, smartphones are going to get killed by Google Glasses (and wasn't Nikon working on this too )...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/22/sergey-brin-google-glasses-new-york-subway_n_2526475.html#slide=more228040

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 14-Feb-13 12:56 AM
#32. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 31

Powder Springs, US

Steve,

I'm with you. I would post a sample, but it is a non-Nikon image. I took a shot of my wife's new car ( she was nearly killed in a hit and run Friday, totaling her car) with an iPhone 5 with it's flash. The picture is noisy and you cannot even tell what color the car is.

They're not ready for prime time. Not yet.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 14-Feb-13 11:46 AM
6356 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 29
Thu 14-Feb-13 11:50 AM by jbloom

Wethersfield, US

>I would not want to only use a camera phone on a trip. I'd
>rather use my D700 (and am seriously considering a Nikon 1 kit
>for small, light travel).

A few years ago I went on a bicycle trip on which I used my iPhone and a Canon SD 3500IS P&S. Even though the iPhone was the iPhone 4 model, which had "only" a 5 MP camera, I found that the images were good enough that I seldom pulled out the P&S. I did wish I had a better camera at times, but the P&S, while better, wasn't up to DSLR standards, which is what I really wanted. (I had taken previous trips with a D70, but I really wanted to downsize.)

Last year I went on another bicycle trip where I carried just the iPhone 4S. While that worked out fairly well, I still wished at times for something with better optics.

Since then I've gotten a Nikon V1, and I think I'll carry that on my next bicycle trip. I think it will hit the sweet spot between portability and image-making flexibility.

The Canon P&S is sitting here on the shelf. Now that my entire family have iPhones, it's not something any of us ever use.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

spraay2236 Registered since 27th Feb 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 11:15 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Death of the Point and Shoot"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also suspect that this has much to do with the increase in quality of cameras built into phones. Untold millions of iPhones and Androids, and all of them are as good a camera as the point and shoot models of a few years ago. I also think it has a lot to do with what most people do with their pictures. Most everyone I know simply post their photos on the web, where file size has to be limited anyways. That's a lot easier to do with a smartphone than most cameras.

I'm not sure I agree that cameras like the Nikon 1 will take over. Not at those prices. I'd be interested to see the demographic of the Nikon 1 buyer. I bet it's mostly hobbyists or pros who like having a small camera to drag around when a DSLR is simply too much. I can afford a pretty spiffy camera, but $800 for a V1 wasn't happening.

SP

Learning a little bit more, every day...

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86851 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.