Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86790
View in linear mode

Subject: "I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 27-Jan-13 03:42 PM
3437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"

Dyserth, GB

I live in a North Wales village and the next village, Rhuddlan, was home to Philip Jones Griffiths a Magnum photographer renowned for his work in the Vietnam war, Malaya and the Irish troubles also of the Beatles. Refused admission to the US in the 1970's by Richard Nixon for his portrayal of the war. I didn't even know who this man was, of which I am now ashamed.

Interestingly, his image of GI's showing compassion to a wounded Vietcong soldier was used in a scene of Apocalypse Now. His family were upset at his portrayal in the film as that of a blase photographer, when he was in fact a shy retiring man.

His life history was presented by a school friend of Phillip Griffiths who is promoting his life in a series of photographic lectures. He died in 2008.

See more here: http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=CMS3&VF=MAGO31_10_VForm&ERID=24KL535HON

I just thought this may be of interest, although I'm sure many have heard of him.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
JBS101 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
OldCodger
03rd Mar 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Sportymonk
03rd Mar 2013

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 01:15 AM
4299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Very interesting images. It seems like Vietnam was another lifetime ago!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009Thu 14-Feb-13 06:18 AM
519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

Thank you for posting the link. Griffith shot some interesting stuff. As Steve said, Vietnam was a long time ago, but the after effects are still very much with us.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OldCodger Registered since 15th Oct 2011Sun 03-Mar-13 01:26 PM
592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"
In response to Reply # 2

Sawbridgeworth Hertfordshire, GB

I often used to visit Washington DC in the 1980s and many of the homeless people round one of the metro stations were said to be ex Vietnam veteran soldiers, (was the station Foggy Bottom?). The time was the start of the Aids problem and I often think back and wonder how many of those people made it this far. Not a lot I guess.
Truly, there were a lot of still in progress after effects.
Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 03-Mar-13 01:58 PM
3437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

and as much of the world moves once again towards poverty and war, the saying "what goes around, comes around" comes to mind sadly.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 03:23 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I discovered yesterday a local Magnum Photographer!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Mount, US

Good read and images. Thanks

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86790 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.