Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86768
View in linear mode

Subject: "Raleigh Area area Ice Storm " Previous topic | Next topic
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 25-Jan-13 08:35 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
Fri 25-Jan-13 09:12 PM by Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US

Just returned about 30 minutes ago from Durham NC. Normally takes about 1Hr 15 min for 75 mile drive (all 4 divided lane Hwy except last 1.5 miles to my house. Trip took 2hr 35 min. OK till leaving Raleigh and roads because icy. would occasionally apply brakes (not slam them on but apply normally) to check for icy roadway. In All Wheel Drive Honda Pilot w good tires was ok BUT about half way home the windshield began freezing over when the temp dropped to 23 in the freezing rain (not sleet but freezing rain). Defroster kept it cleared but got hot. If the wipers were on and the defroster off, the windshield would begin icing up again. About 30 miles out the wipers were icing over and sections of the windshield would not clear at all. Got home ok. Here are photos of the windshield when the defroster was off but would still clear it. The area that wouldn't clear was right in front of me and also to the right but was able to clear some of it by going to fast wipers. Also posted are the two wiper arms when I got home, you can see the ice build up.

Yes I have already heard from CINC house about taking photos while driving , especially in these conditions. Hey, I was careful. BTW these are untouched jpegs from a P&S.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm
mklass Platinum Member
25th Jan 2013
Sportymonk
25th Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
27th Jan 2013
melindapfeiffer Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
avm247 Moderator
28th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Jan 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 25-Jan-13 08:54 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I don't have a problem with the first 2 shots, but you may have taken you life in your hands if you took the last 2 while driving!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 25-Jan-13 09:12 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 1

Rocky Mount, US

Laughing, no the last two were in my driveway once I got home.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 11:35 PM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

YUCK. Glad you made it home safe. That freezing rain is nasty stuff.

My area had a close brush...only a small amount of ice on tree limbs & exposed surfaces, around 8 AM.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 05:05 AM
2535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

Exactly why I have a 4x4 vehicle with a heated windshield. Glad you made it home safely

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 02:57 PM
3631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Ugh. Haven't had to drive in this kind of mess in a long time. I remember back in the late 60s driving home from work in an air cooled VW beetle trying to keep my windshield clear with what was laughingly called a defroster. It was able to keep small areas near the 2 defroster outlets clear so I had to drive bent over to the left to see. I had to periodically stop and scrape the windshield. On top of that of course the road was icy. Very unpleasant memory.

Now that I'm retired it would take a medical emergency to get me out of the house in this kind of weather.

John

melindapfeiffer Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2008Mon 28-Jan-13 04:02 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I had the same experience on Friday afternoon in Raleigh! Fortunately, I didn't have to drive as far as you did. When I noticed it happened, I immediately called my sister and told her she needed to pick her child up from daycare and come straight home.

We all made it home safe and sound. Glad you did, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Melinda

Visit my Gallery: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/181777/cat/500

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 28-Jan-13 04:28 PM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Jan-13 04:30 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Kinda scary. I'm from SoCal and I'm decidedly a "fair weather driver" preferring not to drive in the rain (because of you, know bad drivers who don't know how to drive in the rain. ).

Moving up to Northern California, and working for the Dept. of Transportation, I have, on occation, the need to travel this great state to get to various facilities. I had one week about seven years ago to inspect 10 facilities where I had some accessibililty work done. From Sacramento, I went through a number of counties in the valley and in the Sierras...Plumas, Lassen, Modoc, Siskiyou, Trinity, Tehema. I saw just about every kind of weather that week: brilliant sun, light rain, freezing rain, snow, blizzard conditions (thank goodness for our snow plows!), saw some tornadoes forming up on the trip back but nothing really materialized but there were tornado warnings on the radio. Only thing I didn't see was high winds. That was one crazy week. I was also thankful I had checked out a Jeep Cherokee with 4 wheel drive and 4 chains, I almost needed the chains at one point due to ice.

Glad you made it home safe.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 08:15 PM
25941 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lee,

Glad to here you made it home safe and sound.
We were dealing with freezing rain yesterday.
The side streets and sidewalks were much worse than the main streets and expressways.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86768 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.