nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Raleigh Area area Ice Storm

Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US
814 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007
Fri 25-Jan-13 08:35 PM | edited Fri 25-Jan-13 09:12 PM by Sportymonk

Just returned about 30 minutes ago from Durham NC. Normally takes about 1Hr 15 min for 75 mile drive (all 4 divided lane Hwy except last 1.5 miles to my house. Trip took 2hr 35 min. OK till leaving Raleigh and roads because icy. would occasionally apply brakes (not slam them on but apply normally) to check for icy roadway. In All Wheel Drive Honda Pilot w good tires was ok BUT about half way home the windshield began freezing over when the temp dropped to 23 in the freezing rain (not sleet but freezing rain). Defroster kept it cleared but got hot. If the wipers were on and the defroster off, the windshield would begin icing up again. About 30 miles out the wipers were icing over and sections of the windshield would not clear at all. Got home ok. Here are photos of the windshield when the defroster was off but would still clear it. The area that wouldn't clear was right in front of me and also to the right but was able to clear some of it by going to fast wipers. Also posted are the two wiper arms when I got home, you can see the ice build up.

Yes I have already heard from CINC house about taking photos while driving , especially in these conditions. Hey, I was careful. BTW these are untouched jpegs from a P&S.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Raleigh Area area Ice Storm