nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #86759
View in linear mode

Subject: "How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it wa..." Previous topic | Next topic
jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:01 AM
7498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"

Great story!

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/top-stories/199985/how-kkk-rally-image-found-new-life-20-years-after-it-was-published/

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... JBS101 Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... dagoldst Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... LMMiller9 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... dagoldst Gold Member
01st Feb 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.
13th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... Vlad_IT Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... Clyde57 Silver Member
19th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after i... LightMeter Silver Member
20th Feb 2013
23rd Feb 2013

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rancho Cordova, US  Charter Member Fri 25-Jan-13 04:54 PM
18632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

Jon, thanks for sharing. Great article, I think, on the power of one photograph.

I think my favorite line in the piece was the last one: "I was looking in the right direction, I guess."

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Wethersfield, US  Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004 Fri 25-Jan-13 05:15 PM
7498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, I'm usually looking in the wrong direction!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

JBS101 Silver Member  Canberra, AU  Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009 Fri 25-Jan-13 08:44 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

Jon, thanks for the post. That image speaks on a number of levels.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dagoldst Gold Member  Little Rock, US  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012 Sat 26-Jan-13 01:59 PM
2564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

Jon,

Thanks for sharing this interesting story - that is a fascinating image. It says volumes about the history of the United States in a single photograph.

David

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof " - Carl Sagan

jtmcg Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Simsbury, US  Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007 Sun 27-Jan-13 02:45 PM
4068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

>Great story!

It is indeed a great story. We can easily produce video today with simple equipment like our phones. But the frozen moment in time characteristic of a photograph still has great communicative power.

John

LMMiller9 Silver Member  Potomac, US  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005 Tue 29-Jan-13 02:34 AM
1126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

Just a footnote to this story: At the time I lived in Alpharetta, Georgia, which is ten or fifteen miles south of Gainesville. At the time most people in Georgia were horrified and embarrassed by this absurd demonstration by KKK members and supporters. It was a very rare event at that time. But, the good part of it, was that my two daughters who were in high school at the time, went up to Gainesville the following week to participate in a counter "unity" demonstration. It was their first social activism and was empowering for them. So... some good came from it.

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D800
http://www.pbase.com/lmmiller9
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

dagoldst Gold Member  Little Rock, US  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012 Fri 01-Feb-13 12:50 AM
2564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 7

Larry,

Good to hear that such an event had a positive effect. I tend to forget sometimes how a single point in history can have a profound impact.

David

umdaman1 Gold Member Awarded for his outstanding contributions in our Critique forum. His positive and helpful critiques give members a better understanding of the process of making great photographs.   Lexington, US  Nikonian since 11th Mar 2011 Wed 13-Feb-13 12:13 PM
2005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for sharing this great story, Jonathan. I felt a range of emotions while viewing it-anger, sadness, hope. That speaks to the power of a photo, this one in particular.

Scottie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011 Sat 16-Feb-13 03:06 AM
1187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 9

After moving to mid-west florida from new york i realized it's a whole new world here, i never ever suspected that is such a big diference between north and south...

huge confederate flags can be found from time to time in people's front yards and over 1,000,000 active concealed carry permits - more then in Texas...

Best regards,
Vlad

Clyde57 Silver Member  Punta Gorda, US  Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007 Tue 19-Feb-13 04:52 PM
539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 0

After looking at the photo again, I wonder what the trooper is thinking. Obviously the child was too young to have a serious idea of what this was all about and sees no reason to restrain its curiosity. On the other hand, the trooper knows all too well what it all means and his actions are restrained by the responsibilities of his job - but his thoughts aren't restrained. I wonder what they were.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

LightMeter Silver Member  Houston, Texas, US  Nikonian since 29th Oct 2011 Wed 20-Feb-13 04:52 AM
969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 11

That photo makes me sad because it reminds me of how some people think. What's also sad is the "powers that be" have managed to convince the majority that every white person who loves the South and owns a gun is a KKK member/supporter.

Bill

D7100 D300, F4e, N90s, N6006, N2000, N6000, D40, N5005, black F2 eye level, chrome F2AS, black Nikomat FTN

So many cameras, so little time....

dagoldst Gold Member  Little Rock, US  Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2012 Sat 23-Feb-13 03:21 AM
#13. "RE: How KKK rally image found new life 20 years after it was published"
In response to Reply # 12

> What's also sad is the "powers that
>be" have managed to convince the majority that every
>white person who loves the South and owns a gun is a KKK
>member/supporter.

Who are you stereotyping here? Southerners, or "the powers that be"?

David

Forums Lobby CAFÉ English Café (Public) topic #86759 Previous topic | Next topic