Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86726
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sharing large photo files" Previous topic | Next topic
BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Tue 22-Jan-13 07:18 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sharing large photo files"

Glen Mills, US

An organization where I do volunteer photography has asked me about ways of sharing photos that would overcome the limitations of using email for myself and the other photographers.

A quick search has as usual resulted in an overwhelming number of alternatives. As the people who would use this are not very computer-savvy, simplicity is the key. Also cost. So no ftp and free is good.

My initial impression is that dropbox.com is a good candidate and the free membership should meet our file size needs. Any downside to this, or other recommendations?

Thanks.

Barry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rutherfordphoto Awarded for his article contributions to the Resources Registered since 27th Aug 2002Wed 23-Jan-13 02:47 PM
5099 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sharing large photo files"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 23-Jan-13 02:49 PM by rutherfordphoto

Vancouver, CA

I use Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) for my clients. I have a subscription, but there is still a free account with at least 2GB possibly 5GB of free storage. I really like it because it's not associated with anybody like Google Drive or Skydrive.

You can set up public, private, or password protected galleries/folders

It's really simple, it integrates with your OS, Mac or Windows. You simply pick the folder and it will upload automatically. You then just go to the folder, generate a link, and send to your client.

If your client doesn't need ongoing access, you can easily delete the link after a set amount of time in order to save disk space.

It's probably one of the most versatile, with iOS, Android, and BlackBerry apps so you can access and send from your phone as well.

~Cheers, Allan~
www.allanschroeder.com

BR Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Nov 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 04:23 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sharing large photo files"
In response to Reply # 1

Glen Mills, US

There shouldn't be a need for ongoing access - once the organization downloads the photos they can be removed from dropbox.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it some more.

Barry

19US Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Fri 25-Jan-13 02:14 AM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sharing large photo files"
In response to Reply # 0

US

+1 for Dropbox. I use it to share images I make with a local animal shelter and of works great. I do believe there is a file size limit of 25mb or so. Also if you invite others they will grow your free storage space from whatever amount it starts at. The iOS app works great as well.

Good luck
Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86726 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.