Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86644
View in linear mode

Subject: "Norman Rockwell photos" Previous topic | Next topic
Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Thu 17-Jan-13 12:09 AM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Norman Rockwell photos"

Punta Gorda, US

I just spent a week in the Berkshire Hills. I love the scenery and culture of the area. They have some nice museums including the Clarke, MasMOCA (contemporary art) and the Norman Rockwell Museum.

I've always enjoyed Rockwell's work and learned at a visit to the museum that he would set up photographic scenes using neighbors and other local residents as models and he would then base his paintings and drawings on those photographs. His photographs were mostly done in black and white because he didn't want to be influenced by the actual colors in the scenes.

So, what I was thinking about is whether his drawings and paintings were art and if so, were the photos that they were based on also art?

Some of his drawings and the photos that he based them on can be found at http://pdnphotooftheday.com/2009/12/2778

What do you think?

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Norman Rockwell photos
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
17th Jan 2013
jtmcg Gold Member
17th Jan 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
17th Jan 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
18th Jan 2013
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
18th Jan 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 17-Jan-13 02:36 AM
11680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Norman Rockwell photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Yes and Yes

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014[/font

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Thu 17-Jan-13 02:52 PM
3935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Norman Rockwell photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Agree with Dave, yes and yes.

There's also Chesterwood, home and studio of Daniel Chester French, Sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial statue of Lincoln and Herman Melville's home in the same general area.

John

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 17-Jan-13 03:50 PM
3272 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Norman Rockwell photos"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, UK

Agreed.... Yes and Yes. I love his work.

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Fri 18-Jan-13 05:53 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Norman Rockwell photos"
In response to Reply # 2

Punta Gorda, US

>
>There's also Chesterwood, home and studio of Daniel Chester
>French, Sculptor of the Lincoln Memorial statue of Lincoln and
>Herman Melville's home in the same general area.
>

Arrowhead, Herman Melville's home is on my list of places to explore next time I'm up there. I'll have to add Chesterwood to that list.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 18-Jan-13 07:42 PM
4984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Norman Rockwell photos"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Yes and yes.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86644 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.