Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86580
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would like your opinion" Previous topic | Next topic
JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberTue 15-Jan-13 01:34 AM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would like your opinion"

Frederick, US

Greetings All!

I'd like some input on the following:

I have a rather expensive lens posted on the "I Want To Sell" forum. In response to my posting I was contacted via PM by an individual who is requesting that I provide him the serial number of the lens. No offer, no declaration of interest, nothing else, just a request for the serial number. According to the Nikonians directory, this individual has zero posting history.

I don't intend to reply to this request because it doesn't pass the smell test with me. Why on earth would someone want to know the serial number of my lens? Perhaps trying to establish if it's a US version? Maybe it's a method of his to search for his stolen lens? Or is it some sort of...what? I'm truly at a loss here. Any ideas? Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would like your opinion
Pouncer Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
ZoneV Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
15th Jan 2013
Captain Rich Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
PAStime Silver Member
19th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
19th Jan 2013
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
20th Jan 2013
BR
23rd Jan 2013
JerryLoSardo Gold Member
24th Jan 2013

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 15-Jan-13 01:47 AM
1124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

I'd reply and ask why. Eliminating the possibility of the lens being gray market is one possibility, but why not mention that? I can't imagine searching for a stolen lens online by asking every private seller to provide a serial number.

For older lenses where there are several different versions, I will cross reference serial numbers to
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html just to double check things before purchasing. But I wouldn't ask that for a current model AF-S lens (I assume this is in reference to the 24-70 f/2.8).

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Tue 15-Jan-13 01:49 AM
3498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nope.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 15-Jan-13 01:52 AM
11599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

I see no legitimate reason for you to provide the serial number.

I would probably respond, via PM, and ask why he wants the serial number and what his concerns may be.

If he is trying to determine if it is a USA lens just tell him it is and that the warranty card and original sales receipt will be included when the lens is sold.

Of course since he has not given you any indication that he may buy from you then maybe ignoring the PM would be best.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 19-Jan-13 08:40 PM
1194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 3

Savannah, US

And if you determine he's legit, I would still only give the first few digits of the serial number, omitting the last 3. that should give him enough information to determine what he's looking for (US or not, year produced, etc.). If he buys it, he'll get the lens and all the digits. I see no valid reason to provide a full serial number to someone asking out of the blue. Smells like a scam to me.

Rich

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 19-Jan-13 09:18 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

There is a web site that logs Nikon lens serial numbers and makes an attempt at calculating from this how many have been made. (I don't think it is reliable but interesting nonetheless). I think this is it:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Perhaps this potential buyer is trying to asses whether the lens is from a particular batch, thinking this will provide info on the quality of the lens (early manufacturing, recent manufacturing, place of manufacture, etc.). Just a guess.

Peter

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-Jan-13 10:15 PM
26783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

But then the buyer does not need every single digit... I don't see any good reason to provide all of the digits; all but the last four should be good enough.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberSun 20-Jan-13 08:34 PM
921 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 6

Frederick, US

Thanks everyone for your advice and opinions. I chose to ignore the poster's request.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Wed 23-Jan-13 04:38 PM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

Even if his intentions in this instance are not diabolical, I think the conclusion of your smell test is appropriate. What kind of a buyer will he be if he is not communicative even about this?

On another note - some unsolicited advice. For an expensive item like this, when using PayPal you should ship it with signature confirmation in order to get PayPal's seller protection, for whatever that's worth.

Barry

JerryLoSardo Gold Member Charter MemberThu 24-Jan-13 09:43 AM
#9. "RE: Would like your opinion"
In response to Reply # 8

Frederick, US

That's good advice, Barry, thanks.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86580 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.