Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86520
View in linear mode

Subject: "After foie gras last year, how about..." Previous topic | Next topic
olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 11-Jan-13 09:06 AM
4991 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"After foie gras last year, how about..."

CH

...truffle?

No force-feeding, only some teaching to the dogs or hogs which are used to find it, and a taste to die for.

But note that it's Tuber melanosporum, the black truffle of Périgord: I can't bear the smell nor the sight of the white Piedmont truffle from Italy...

And you?

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: After foie gras last year, how about...
Scotty Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
jordivb Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
benveniste Moderator
11th Jan 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
olivierrychner Gold Member
11th Jan 2013
Kadmos Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
12th Jan 2013

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 11-Jan-13 09:26 AM
4843 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Given that this is one of the most expensive foodstuffs to buy in the UK - I reckon you must have a 70-200mm f2.8 AFD VRII worths there... at the least...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 11-Jan-13 10:09 AM
4991 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 1

CH

A bit on the exaggeration side, are we?

In this image there's only one truffle out of three we got from a colleague who owns a house in one of the French truffle-producing regions. The total combined weight is about 40 grams, and we paid some 80 Swiss francs for them.

Macro makes things bigger!

But you're right: with saffron and white truffle, it's among the most expensive foodstuff anywhere - but they're to be used with caution and in very limited quantities!

Olivier Rychner

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Fri 11-Jan-13 02:24 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 2

Manresa, ES

I really love it! As I love the foi-gras as well.

In our region, at the end closer to the Pyrenees, we have mostly the black species and they are well appreciated.
With clima change collection is reduced now, as happens also with our delicious mushrooms.
There's a close-by restaurant offering a degustation menu of around 8 different small dishes based on truffle, whe is plenty season.
When I could afford it, many years ago, used to take it with my wife. I recall a specially good truffle-based ommelette, and an amazing trffle ice-cream much more addictive than chocolate ones. Normally though, here is used in small quantities in veal stews.

But we're not exaggerating: 80 SFR per 40 grams means 2000 SFR per kg, (approx 1600 EUR/kg) which is more than a 70-200 f2.8 VRII sold around 1200 EUR per kg in Barcelona.

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 11-Jan-13 03:07 PM
9564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

<very_old_joke>If those are truffles, where are the tridges?</very_old_joke>

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 11-Jan-13 04:50 PM
1879 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 11-Jan-13 04:51 PM by GiantTristan

Stamford, US

The famed flavor of black - and, yes also white truffles - is nothing but 2,4-dithiapentane which - assuming basic laboratory skills - you can synthesize in your kitchen. The difference between white and black truffles is about as pronounced as between Nikon and Cannon cameras...

Tristan

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 11-Jan-13 06:23 PM
#6. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 5

CH

>The famed flavor of black - and, yes also white truffles - is
>nothing but 2,4-dithiapentane which - assuming basic
>laboratory skills - you can synthesize in your kitchen. The
>difference between white and black truffles is about as
>pronounced as between Nikon and Cannon cameras...

I can't agree with that! The smell, indeed very similar, is much more intense in the white one, to the point that I actually really can't bear it! But the black one is much more subtle, maybe because it's mixed with more "other" smells. Bref, as we say, I prefer the black one.

Oh, and I would be interested in a recipe for 2,4-dithiapentane

Olivier Rychner

Kadmos Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2006Sat 12-Jan-13 01:16 AM
1188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 6

Perth, AU

Hi Olivier,

I have attached a pic of our black truffles which are harvested in Western Australia during the northern summer and so if you like you can have true Perigord truffles (tuber melanosporum) all year round. Our company ships up to 2 tonnes to Europe, USA and Asia each year and the volume is growing. Maybe you would like to be our agent in Switzerland?
See www.wineandtruffle.com.au

And by the way, I agree that the black truffle is a much better eating experience than the white one.

John
Perth Nikonian
Western Australia

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 12-Jan-13 12:20 PM
1879 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: After foie gras last year, how about..."
In response to Reply # 6

Stamford, US

>>The famed flavor of black - and, yes also white truffles
>- is
>>nothing but 2,4-dithiapentane which - assuming basic
>>laboratory skills - you can synthesize in your kitchen.
>The
>>difference between white and black truffles is about as
>>pronounced as between Nikon and Cannon cameras...
>
>I can't agree with that! The smell, indeed very similar, is
>much more intense in the white one, to the point that I
>actually really can't bear it! But the black one is much more
>subtle, maybe because it's mixed with more "other"
>smells. Bref, as we say, I prefer the black one.

You are probably correct. Aside from different levels of the sulfur compound, the two varieties may also contain different additional flavor ingredients. As I said - It is like the difference between Nikon cameras with black lenses and Canon cameras with white lenses.

>Oh, and I would be interested in a recipe for
>2,4-dithiapentane

You can make this from methyl mercaptan and formaldehyde in the presence of acid. But be careful - methyl mercaptan is quite toxic.

2 CH3SH + CH2O ---> CH3S-CH2-SCH3 + H2O

Tristan

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86520 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.