Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86501
View in linear mode

Subject: "Cameras is SPAAAACE " Previous topic | Next topic
kkjensen Registered since 28th Feb 2009Thu 10-Jan-13 02:21 PM
159 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Cameras is SPAAAACE "

Chateauguay, CA

A while back I saw an article posted about what nikon gear is on the Internation Space Station. Canadian Astronaut Chris Hadfield has been doing a good job of staying in touch with everyone on the ground and I recently checked out this article.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/10/australian_fires_from_space/

The picture of the fire is pretty cool (albeit, a lot of what they take pictures of up there is probably the same!) but the grain is pretty present. I'm presuming a high ISO to keep the shutter speed up to assist in getting a clear image since the camera, not the subject, is travelling pretty darn fast.

What camera is that he's using? I don't know all the bumps and curves of the D3/D4 pro bodies.

I came across a NASA site once that contained a lot of the pictures the astronaughts take (minus the ones of ufos, etc of course) but can't relocate it. Any space buffs out there that have some resources up their sleeve for those of us that would like a more regular dose of the subject?

Kristofor

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Thu 10-Jan-13 03:55 PM
4163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Cameras in SPAAAACE "
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Searches using Google or Bing provide an enormous amount of information on the subject.

Astronaut Don Pettit shown in the ISS with a huge array of Nikon gear.

Nikon gear in space article from 2010 at DPReview.

I think the best information source is this link to the NASA/ISS camera database and support pages. It's called the Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 13-Jan-13 11:38 AM
4163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Cameras in SPAAAACE "
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 13-Jan-13 11:43 AM by agitater

Toronto, CA

I forgot to add the link to the NASA image galleries. Visit the site often to see the image of the day and to see new deep space photos from various terrestrial and space telescopes. The site also has links to the JPL galleries, Dryden collection, and the Kennedy Multimedia Gallery.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86501 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.