nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86323
View in linear mode

Subject: "In the moment feedback" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 02:24 PM
370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"In the moment feedback"
Thu 03-Jan-13 02:27 PM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

Didn't know where else to post this so if it belongs elsewhere just tell me .

I am at the stage where, knowing my learning style and having read Darrell Young's Mastering the Nikon D90 and Beyond Point and Shoot plus many other tomes and having shot many images in the last year, I would benefit from in the moment feedback. Problem is I live in far western NC, have limited funds for travel and have scoured all web sites I could find for leads about seminars/conducted trips/tutorials/photgraphic groups in this area with no success. Have e-mailed Darrell (he lives in TN just over the state line) a couple of times but he is obviouisly inundated with e-mail stuff so no response. Any leads?

P.S. I have not posted photos here in any forums or in my gallery for two reasons. I am severely techno challenged and find it much more useful to me to have in person feedbac

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: In the moment feedback
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
03rd Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Lolrogge Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
03rd Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th Jan 2013
04th Jan 2013
04th Jan 2013
04th Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life.
05th Jan 2013
cej_in_nc Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
05th Jan 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 04:19 PM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

First, look for a local photography club. Most modest size cities will have one or two clubs.

I see that you live near Ashville, NC (a university town) I would bet that there is a fairly large camera club there.

Then, take a look at our Critique, Artistic & Technical Advice forum.

You are a silver member so you can add images to any post. If you have difficulty just ask and someone will help you out.

I cannot think of any place else to get direct feedback from a more diverse, talented and experienced group of photographers then right here at Nikonians. It is our mission to help people learn and grow as photographers.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 05:26 PM
370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 1

Waynesville, US

Dave, thank you for your prompt response. In actual fact Asheville has one loosely organised photo group that meets infrequently and does not appear to have any organised shoot and critique sessions. I am waiting to hear back from them. Two local community colleges do have photography subjects on their curriculum but they are part of Associate Degree programs that I am not willing to commit to (at age 76 I'm done with degree course work and really don't want to take a seat from someone else if I have no intention of completion). And while I truly appreciate all the learning I have gathered from Nikonians, as I review critique commentaries and the (understandable)elapsed time it takes for subsequent back and forth and reshooting discussion/question/answers that's something that is not optimal for me. Maybe I am going to have to compromise but I wanted to exhaust this approach first.

Geoff

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 08:12 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 2

Land O Lakes, US

Geoff,

Check in with your local Community College - here in Wisconsin, Seniors can monitor classes at no charge! I'm wondering if the same isn't true in NC.

Tom

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 08:28 PM
#4. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Tom, thank you. I have already checked but they will only allow auditing for courses one has already taken! No special consideration for seniors.

Geoff

Lolrogge Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Apr 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 09:26 PM
304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 4

Ayden, US

Hello from eastern NC. If you are 65 or older in NC you can take community college classes tuition free. You have to buy the books and may have some fees. I believe you can take up to 6 hours each semester. Monday I will be starting an art appreciation class over the internet. Hope it helps my photography.

Laverne

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Thu 03-Jan-13 10:02 PM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

How about local, or not to far, camera stores? Maybe they would know some local photographers. Phone book under "Photographers". Local Staples or Office Depot photo centers? May have some people using those facilities that you could ask? Local newspaper photographer you could talk to, get critiques from?

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 03:33 AM
#7. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 04-Jan-13 03:34 AM by limeyzen

Waynesville, US

Ken, thank you. Had not thought of those ideas so will give them a try.

Geoff

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 03-Jan-13 10:27 PM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Here is another Idea that may help you find a local Nikonian or two.

Go to the Nikonians Nikoscope Search Page.

Now on the upper right hand side of the page, just below the header it will say “There are X Nikonians in your area.”

Click that link and it will take you to the login screen. Use the same user name and password as Nikonians.org.

Once logged in search – "inRadius:50.0" – This searches the membership data base for Nikonians within 50 miles of your town.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 03:55 AM
#8. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 6

Waynesville, US

Dave, thank you for the suggestion. Have just spent 30 mins trying to make it work but regardless of radius I enter (up to 500), or if I enter in Radius:50.0 at end of script already in search bar, as opposed to erasing and entering per your instructions I get zero results even tho there are 4000+ members in all NC! Must be doing something wrong but have followed in detail your directions with no luck. Ah! the joys of technology and this use

Geoff

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 06:07 AM
867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, US

Dave,

I as well get 0 results when searching using inRadius. Even though indications are, top right hand corner, 348 members in my area (Seattle). It's like the search engine doesn't recognize the inRadius argument or something.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 06:26 AM
#10. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 8

Seattle, US

Geoff,

I entered "North Carolina" rather than "inRadius:50.0 and found 4,663 members. Maybe try "mytown (the town where you live Geoff), North Carolina"? I tried "Raleigh, North Carolina" and 124 members came up. See what comes up when you exchange "Raleigh" with your towns name or a larger towns name that is close to you.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 04-Jan-13 05:00 PM
#12. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

Good suggestion!

Thanks for trying this out.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 04-Jan-13 04:59 PM
#11. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 8

Lowden, US

Try clicking on the link that says “XXXX Nikonians in North Carolina.”

When I do that it changes from “in Iowa” to “16 Nikonians in my area.”

Hope this works. Nikoscope seems a bit fussy at times.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sat 05-Jan-13 02:04 PM
#17. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 11

Waynesville, US

Well, I finally got around to trying entering my town name and it worked! Also tried a town (Asheville) near me and that worked BUT the vast majority of listed members profiles are no longer available so I dont know if there is a dissconnect between the main membership data base and these listings or? Examples: in Waynesville of the 4 members listed only 2 have viewable profiles (one is mine). Of the 26 in Asheville only 3 do. Someone might care to take a look at this.

Geoff

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sat 05-Jan-13 05:31 PM
1836 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I noticed that also. In searching PA, many of the listings were inactive/ unavailable

Sheri Becker

cej_in_nc Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jan 2009Sat 05-Jan-13 02:35 AM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Waynesville, US

If you are interested in nature photography, the Asheville, NC chapter of the Carolinas' Nature Photographers Association (CNPA) has a monthly meeting as well as other activities. The website is http://www.cnpa-asheville.org/

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sat 05-Jan-13 04:08 AM
#15. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 14

Waynesville, US

Thank you - did not find them in prior searches so this is good to know. I see we live in the same town!

Geoff

kennoll Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 05-Jan-13 04:55 AM
#16. "RE: In the moment feedback"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 05-Jan-13 04:58 AM by kennoll

Seattle, US

OK! now we're getting somewhere! A kindred spirit in your own town!

There's another couple of active members over in Asheville. You could send emails out to each one to see if they would like to hook up.

Good luck Geoff! Let us know how it turns out.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86323 Previous topic | Next topic