nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

More proof of durability of Nikon Cameras

Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US
814 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007
Tue 01-Jan-13 04:46 PM

From a Linked-In Linking Nikon Post

Don't know if you can open the link but here it is. http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&srchtype=discussedNews&gid=130599&item=199813640&type=member&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_pd-ttl-cn&ut=3D4IsOYKM27BA1

Here is the article with the name removed

"More proof of the durability of Nikon cameras
I'm just back from a screening of "Chasing Ice," the documentary film based on photographer James Balog's remarkable efforts to show not only that glaciers are receding but also that they are doing so at an alarming rate. If you've not seen the film, its strong visual appeal alone should make it well worth your time. Rather than broach the topic of the film's potentially contentious message here, I'll leave that discussion for another forum at another time.

In addition to the film's visual appeal, it also offers something else of particular interest to members of this group: Balog recorded the glacier's movements with Nikon cameras. I couldn't tell which pro-level DSLR Balog himself used, but it surely was a D3 or D3s (or maybe both, at various times), since work on the project started in 2007, the year the D3 was released.

The real Nikon stars in the film, though, are all the D200 bodies left at various sites around the world to record the movements of the glaciers over long periods of time. One scene shows Balog and others unloading boxes and boxes and boxes of D200s. I thought there had to be two dozen of them, and I've now confirmed that 27 D200 bodies were used for the project. When Balog and his assistants are marveling that the cameras kept right on working even through the coldest temperatures, Balog notes that the temps were down to the range of -40 degrees Fahrenheit (if memory serves me correctly).

This has been a good year for proof of the durability of Nikon cameras. First we had the grizzly bear trying but failing to maul a D4. Now this film shows that the semi-pro cameras can take plenty of abuse, too. "

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

G