Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86280
View in linear mode

Subject: "New Year's Resolutions for Photographers" Previous topic | Next topic
agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 01:13 PM
4068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
Tue 01-Jan-13 01:16 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

My first New Year's resolution is 24mp.

Resolution #2 - I will immediately terminate any phone call, no matter who it is, that begins with "I don't have a backup of my photos and I've been trying for an hour to boot up my PC."

Resolution #3 - Just the facts Ma'am, just the facts . . . no more participation in interminably long threads about why someone should stick with DX/FX/Nikon. You want to go? Go! You want to stay? Stay! Work it out on your own instead of begging people to talk you into something. I'm going to concentrate solely on offering technical and creative help wherever I can on Nikonians, along with encouraging fellow Nikonians to get out and shoot more often.

Resolution #4 - The annual camera bag sale is on now and for the next three weekends at my place. I reviewed over twenty different camera bags last year. That's twenty in 2012, on top of the 15-20 from 2011, on top of the 20-30 from 2010, etc., etc., on top of the bags I actually use. I've got to get rid of these things a lot faster from now on.

Resolution #5 - By continuing to exercise regularly and maintain healthy eating habits, support ongoing photo walkabouts and also avoid the third stage of life, to wit: Stage 1) you believe in Santa Claus, stage 2) you don't believe in Santa Claus, stage 3) you are Santa Claus.

Resolution #6 - Now that the holiday season is over, it's time to make the Christmas cake/fruit cake for next year. Here's my favorite recipe.

Christmas cake recipe

1. 1 cup of water
  2. 1 cup of sugar
  3. 4 large brown eggs
  4. 2 cups of dried fruit
  5. 1 teaspoon of salt
  6. 1 cup of brown sugar
  7. Lemon juice
  8. Nuts
  9. 1 bottle of whisky

Preparation: Sample the whisky to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whisky again. To be sure it's the highest quality, pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again. Make sure the whisky is still OK. Cry another tup. Tune up the mixer. Beat two leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the fired druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it goose with a drewscriver. Sample the whisky to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?

Check the whisky. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon the sugar or something. Whatever you can find. Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window.
Check the whisky again. Fall asleep.

Resolution #7 - Shoot tighter! That means not only closing in on subjects (walk/climb/crawl closer - don't just zoom, because the longer you zoom, the blurrier the result no matter how much you believe that exotic VR works like magic), but also shooting when subjects are closer together or more tightly integrated in the frame.

Resolution #8 - When Nikon announces and delivers a successor to either the D7000 or the D300s (not later than April or May - just as I predicted 18 months ago), I will leave the cameras alone. I will not buy the review copy sent to Kickstartnews. I will instead observe the still-legion D200, D2XS, D300, D40/50/60/3000/3100/5000 shooters as they upgrade in relief. I will just review the camera and then send it back! Too many cameras + not enough time to use them enough to become perfectly comfortable with each one = not as many keepers as I'd like.

Resolution #9 - Resolve to shoot smarter, because it saves money! Believe it. The more attention we all pay to exposure, white balance and composition when we're actually shooting, the less time we have to spend in post. Ergo, my two year old Dell Studio XPS 435T, Core i7/920/2.67GHz/12GB RAM workstation should be way more than good enough. Well, hmmm, maybe more RAM and a new graphics card (that Radeon 5700 is getting a bit long in the tooth). And the newest IPS pro panels are looking really, really nice what with all that talk about being able to easily and accurately display 100% of sRGB. So maybe it's time to replace the monitor. Hmmm. It's only money.

Resolution #10 - Renew my Nikonians subscription.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers
PAStime Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
mklass Platinum Member
01st Jan 2013
JonK Moderator
01st Jan 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
01st Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
Sportymonk
01st Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
esantos Moderator
01st Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
01st Jan 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
02nd Jan 2013
mjhach Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
02nd Jan 2013
Sportymonk
04th Jan 2013
bc3 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Clyde57 Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
04th Jan 2013
Kadmos Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
05th Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
06th Jan 2013
jordivb Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
dclarhorn Moderator
05th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
05th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
05th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
06th Jan 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
06th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
06th Jan 2013
jdroach Platinum Member
06th Jan 2013
06th Jan 2013
06th Jan 2013
agitater Gold Member
06th Jan 2013

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 01:50 PM
2670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Happy New Year Howard!

Peter

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 03:11 PM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Good thoughts, Howard. Have a Happy and Healthy one!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 03:41 PM
4602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

LOL! Happy New Year, Howard, and to the rest of you!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 04:59 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Happy New Year, Howard!

If Nikon comes out with a D400, should I sell my D700 and go back to full time DX?

- -

my Nikonians gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 07:43 PM
4068 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>Happy New Year, Howard!
>
>If Nikon comes out with a D400, should I sell my D700 and go
>back to full time DX?
>
>- -

Happy new year Neil.

Yes. Sell the D700 when the D400 comes out. Then, don't forget to actually purchase the D400 (but you have to cross your fingers and stand in front of a mirror when you do it). You see, it's all about the densil pixety, or the densey pixetel, or the pixel dixelty, or the pexsil destiny. Smaller is larger, larger is better, smaller is better, and larger is smaller. And the more noise, well, um, the more noise. Unless the dexil pensity has changed. Then all bets are off.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 05:05 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Mount, US

Love it all.

- Where can we see some of those bags you want to get rid of?

- That exercise is important.

- Absolutely love the recipe

Yep got to work on that shoot tighter. Have noticed that many of the images I like at shot tighter.

- Renew my Nikonians subscription. - Definitely

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 08:04 PM
#11. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

>Love it all.
>
>- Where can we see some of those bags you want to get rid of?

I actually considered arraying the whole 'collection' on the floor, grabbing a wide angle lens, and then publishing a shot of it all here. Then I thought to myself, if there are a few Nikonians who think I might be an odd sort why then give them a photo which removes all doubt? That, combined with the fact that I don't have a room in my house with a clear floor area large enough to accommodate all the bags, backpacks, waist belt systems and so on, in one go, saved me a lot of potential aggravation and embarrassment.

I've been bragging to friends and neighbors for the past year about how much old junk I've cleared out of the garage and either thrown out, given away or hauled to Goodwill, how much useless stuff I've cleared out of the basement and closets and hauled to Goodwill or sold on Kijiji, and how much free storage space I now have in the garage, basement and closets. I have blithely avoided talking about all the camera bags though. Must be a psychosis - Photobagitis. So talking about it here mainly motivates me to start listing most of the bags on Kijiji and Nikonians.

Starting tomorrow . . .

Seriously.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 01-Jan-13 05:32 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

You are a gutsy fellow Howard. I would never put new year's resolutions to writing. Now you are on the hook.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 07:49 PM
#9. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 6

Toronto, CA

>You are a gutsy fellow Howard. I would never put new year's
>resolutions to writing. Now you are on the hook.

If a Nikonian says it, then it must be so. (And I started all this stuff in 2012 - had to get a headstart to sort out which ones would actually work out!)

There's nothing quite like making predictions after I've already figured out what will work.

Mind you, the appearance of a D400 or D7100 is still a bet. If it/they actually show up in April or May as I keep insisting they will, I'll be more relieved than surprised.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 01-Jan-13 07:15 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

LOL...I could adopt some of those!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Jan-13 07:53 PM
#10. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

>LOL...I could adopt some of those!

Never mind that. Adopt ME instead. It's a lot warmer in Powder Springs right now than it was this morning east of Ajax, Ontario in Lynde Marsh while I was walking around testing a D5200 + 18-300 VRII. Much warmer.

Nice camera and lens combo BTW. I'm posting a mini-review later in the D5200/D5100/D3200 forum. Start the new year off with a bang.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Wed 02-Jan-13 10:17 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Summit, US

Amen Howard! Especially love that paragraph on "Preparation". Very funny stuff, great writing.
Happy New Year Howard.

efeibush

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 01:30 PM
#13. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 12

Toronto, CA

Thank you.

There are several similar 'recipes' floating around online. I wrote one about 18 years ago for the Phoenix newsletter - roast turkey, cranberry sauce and sweet potato liberally dosed with Bourbon. Many variations since then. I've also borrowed a few, like the one above. I actually tried one of the recipes once. Can't remember what happened to the cake. Or the oven.

Have a great 2013.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Wed 02-Jan-13 02:41 PM
492 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Simcoe, CA

LOL You are definitely a contender to take the place of Red Skeleton. You had me LOL and there was no one around at the time - thanks goodness. I think I was in tears.

ANyway, have a very good year and I really aopreciate your feedback to me personally and to Nikonians group as well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 09:02 PM
#15. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 14

Toronto, CA

Thank you for the comments. Now you've got me laughing too. Skelton was a comic genius. But times sure have changed since his days of joke and story telling to today's critical observation and situational comedy.

Happy new year.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 07:23 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 15

Rocky Mount, US

What I loved about Red (and still do) is that (1) you could take his jokes back 50 years or forward 100 years and they would still be just as funny; and (2) he would get so tickled at some of them he could barely finish the joke. And they wonder why people are watching "Reality" shows.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

bc3 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 03:47 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Bridgman, US

Howard, I must say, a great set of objectives and I think I'll try to keep them in mind for the coming year. But my resolution was to write nothing down till after it was done. Numbers 2 & 3 I agree with completely but i don't know as those people will understand. #4 is out as I have no bags to sell. On #5 at age 70 good objective but I'm afraid Santa may already be here; Even when I suffer from Peter Pan Syndrome. Numbers 7, 9 & 10 are definite must; but my wife says 8 is out till I learn every thing all of the present cameras can do. The problem is after completing #6 I probably won't remember any of these anyway.
Happy New Years
Bert

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 11:31 AM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

Howard, you are the man.....right now.

I have that same cake recipe. I like it because it's simple - the only required ingredient is the whiskey. All the other ingredients are optional. In fact, I'm making one right now. I like to keep the gredients at the miminum.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 04-Jan-13 12:08 PM
#19. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 18

Toronto, CA

Clyde - I seal the fame sway myself.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Kadmos Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2006Sat 05-Jan-13 02:37 AM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

I really like a good fruit cake but you did not mention which type of whisky goes best in your recipe? I would not want to waste 12 months only to find out I had used the wrong one.

John
Perth Nikonian
Western Australia

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 05-Jan-13 03:01 AM
#21. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 20

Toronto, CA

35 year old Glendronach scotch - that's the memory maker. But a peaty Laphroaig, a basic 15 year old triple cask Macallan, a 15 year old Islay Chivas, or a 10 year old Ardbeg will do just fine.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 05-Jan-13 12:44 PM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 21
Sat 05-Jan-13 12:45 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Laphroaig, Isle of Jura or Tallisker for me Howard

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 06-Jan-13 12:24 AM
#27. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 22

Toronto, CA

I favour the Laphroaig, but the Isle of Jura is a serious competitor I think - a unique single malt.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Sat 05-Jan-13 11:20 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 21

Manresa, ES

Would Lagavulin 18 do fine as well? It is my favourite....

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sat 05-Jan-13 12:46 PM
14326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Howard, those are a lot of resolutions. Best of luck, although I'm rather skeptical about you and resolution #3.

By the way, what lens should I get?

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 05-Jan-13 09:34 PM
#24. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 23

Toronto, CA

:)

Buy the upcoming 8-800mm AF-S ED VRIII F/1.8 zoom, ultra-lightweight, weather sealed, only 6" long, 72mm filter threads, ultra-low distortion. Only $649 at B&H, includes free shipping to anywhere in the world.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 05-Jan-13 11:31 PM
1235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 24

Toronto, CA

Yes and the overall specs are so close to perfect that you cannot see the difference -- now we can just "fix it" onto a body and we put all those 3rd party lens suppliers in their place -- right? And I was just researching a 70-200 2.8 -- what a waste of time.

Wow -- I can hardly wait!!

----
Dennis Smith.

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 06-Jan-13 02:34 PM
#29. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 26

Toronto, CA

>Wow -- I can hardly wait!!

I'll meet you at Downtown Camera when the lens hits store shelves. Obviously, I hope both of us are still alive when it happens. So the advice, while waiting, is to not hold your breath.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 06-Jan-13 01:49 PM
4538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

A lot of good comments here. I expect that out shooting more is highest on the list followed by more exercise, and better diet (especially the snacking while post processing images).

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 06-Jan-13 02:46 PM
#30. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 28
Sun 06-Jan-13 02:48 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>A lot of good comments here. I expect that out shooting more
>is highest on the list followed by more exercise, and better
>diet (especially the snacking while post processing
>images).

Two things that should never, ever be done while post-processing images:

1. Drinking beer (or scotch, wine, home brew, etc): The main reason for this admonishment is that after a while a) everything looks slightly blurry and results in posts about left-focus points being poorly calibrated, "my camera's AF is brokne (and variations such as broekn, borkned, brokde, etc. - everything except "broken"), and b) any suggestions in post responses by other members about maybe checking this or that is met with increasingly insistent responses by the OP that he or she has checked it repeatedly and everything looks blurry in Lightroom, ViewNX, ACDSee Pro, Capture NX2, etc.
  2. Smoking pot or eating, you know, hash brownies (or any other mind-altering substance): The main reason for this admonishment is that after a while a) everything looks slightly blurry, and b) you really don't mind, and c) it results in posts about how the "D-Whatever is, like, you know man, the, um, like the best camera in the world, dude, you know, so like what's all the, like, um, noise about left-focus little square things in the viewfinder? And, like wow man, I'm really hungry, you know?"

So, I agree about no snacking while post-processing images. Maybe consider that 2013 is also a good year to stick to drinking water or decaf while PP'ing away.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 06-Jan-13 03:46 PM
4538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 30

Milwaukee, US

I couldn't resist to post this image. When we moved to the condo this year the only place that we could put the 200 bottle wine refrigerator was in my office (the second bedroom in the two bedroom condo). The closet is full of my camera gear and books along with some shelves and files along the wall and some photographs I have taken. But, that refrigerator is about 5 feet from my rolling chair! Strategically placed, wouldn't you think?

I often joke that its proximity enhances my post processing efforts! However, honestly, I have yet to uncork a bottle and have a glass of wine while working at my computer perhaps for the very reasons you mention or some sort of wisdom. Instead, it is the cookies in the desk drawers that get me in trouble. My wife came home one day and needed my help bringing some stuff in the house and she wondered what I was munching, since I had a cookie in my mouth and was mumbling. I often hear about that!

Quick snapshot with my P7000 Coolpix:

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 06-Jan-13 04:13 PM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 31

Dyserth, GB

Goodness, not showing this image to "management". Far too organised Terrific drinks area on top of the cupboard too.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 06-Jan-13 04:16 PM
#33. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 30

Dyserth, GB

Well Howard not to have a drink and imagine waking up in the morning and know that's the best I'll feel all day

Richard

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 06-Jan-13 07:10 PM
#34. "RE: New Year's Resolutions for Photographers"
In response to Reply # 33

Toronto, CA

>Well Howard not to have a drink and imagine waking up in the
>morning and know that's the best I'll feel all day

"First it's a little medicinal wine from a teaspoon,
then beer from a bottle. And the next thing you know your son is playing for money in a pinchback suit!"

From "The Music Man" by Betty Comden & Adolphe Greene

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86280 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.