Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Cafť (Public) topic #86276
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your photographic New Year resolutions for 2013." Previous topic | Next topic
henbo Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 12:19 PM
886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Your photographic New Year resolutions for 2013."

Tistrup, DK

Happy New Year to every one!

This is the time of the year where many of us define our New Year resolutions. I thought it might be interesting to make people share their photographic New Year resolutions for 2013 as inspiration for the rest of us.

It could for example be things you need to do, a project you are planning to carry out or new areas of photography you want to explore and learn. If you havenít thought up any photographic New Year resolutions yet, you have plenty of time to come up with some within the next year or so.

After you have added your photographic New Year resolutions please feel to give an update here about how it is going on a regular basis. This will be a chance to celebrate together with the rest of us, if your have succeeded.

Henning

My Nikonians gallery:
Landscape | Wildlife | Macro | Portrait | Sport

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

henbo Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004Tue 01-Jan-13 12:23 PM
886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your photographic New Year resolutions for 2013."
In response to Reply # 0

Tistrup, DK

I will start with my own Photographic New Year resolutions for 2013.

I have split my photographic New Year resolutions in to two groups Ė one group of things I plan to do and another group of new topics I would like explore and learn more about in the year to come.

As I have a back log of old film that needs to be scanned, my ambition for 2013 is the have finished the scanning of the following years:
As I have already have completed scanning the back log from 2006 to 2011 during last year Iím also planning to do post processing of at least one year and to create a photo book of my vacation pictures for that year. I still havenít decided which year that will be.
Support the economy by buying more film (b/w, colour and slide film).
Be more active on Nikonians (Posting at least 100 new posts in 2013 (starting point was 702 post by end of 2012).

I would like to learn and explore the following topics in 2013:
How to use graduated ND filters for landscape photography.
Learn how to develop C41 films at home.
Learn more about classical studio lighting (Hollywood style).
Start learning how to use large format photography in the studio.

These are fairly ambitious goals for me, so let us see what happens during 2013.

Henning

My Nikonians gallery:

henbo Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004Tue 31-Dec-13 06:24 PM
#2. "RE: Your photographic New Year resolutions for 2013."
In response to Reply # 1
Tue 31-Dec-13 06:29 PM by henbo

Tistrup, DK

In some ways 2013 has been a strange year for me regarding photography. I havenít been shooting too often with my digital camera this year.
When it comes to analogue photography 2013 is one of the years where I have been shooting film more often than for many years. For some reasons I get most pleasure and satisfaction when Iím shooting with analogue cameras.

>As I have a back log of old film that needs to be scanned, my
>ambition for 2013 is the have finished the scanning of the
>following years:
>2004
>2005
>2012

I completed scanning all of the above within 2013, so for the first time since buying my first film scanner, I donít have a big back log of film to scan. Itís nice that the results that Iím scanning now have been shot within the last half a year.

>As I have already have completed scanning the back log from
>2006 to 2011 during last year Iím also planning to do post
>processing of at least one year and to create a photo book of
>my vacation pictures for that year. I still havenít decided
>which year that will be.

I didnít succeed in this one.

>Support the economy by buying more film (b/w, colour and slide
>film).

Earlier this year I was reading at apug.org that the Kodak Ektachrome E100G was in stock in 120 format, so I bought 125 rolls. Still Kodak film production didnít survive in the original company.

My plan is to use this film primarily with my large format camera, where I will be using it with a film back that allows me to take photos in panorama format (approximately 6x12 cm).

>Be more active on Nikonians (Posting at least 100 new posts in
>2013 (starting point was 702 post by end of 2012).

This is my post number 805 so with a close call I managed to post more than in the past, but it was pretty close.

>I would like to learn and explore the following topics in
>2013:
>How to use graduated ND filters for landscape photography.

Used the graduated ND filters at a few occasions, but I wasnít really happy with my results.

>Learn how to develop C41 films at home.
Instead of starting with C41 I started developing E6 myself instead. This maybe makes more sense, as Iím shooting more slide film than colour film. Until now I have developed 16 rolls of slide film myself this year. Not all with perfect result, but in general Iím happy with the results.

>Learn more about classical studio lighting (Hollywood style).
For many reasons I didnít shoot much portrait stuff in 2013 (only two sessions), but I hope that this will go up again. I had one session where I worked together with a make-up artist with the Hollywood style as a theme.

>Start learning how to use large format photography in the
>studio.

I used my large format camera in both the portraits sessions I did this year. In the first session I was only shooting instant photos. Both the model and the makeup artist thought this was fun, so Iím planning to do this again, as it was a kind of icebreaker in the session.

>These are fairly ambitious goals for me, so let us see what
>happens during 2013.

I didn't reach all of my goals, but I'm still happy with the outcome.
By setting the goals for myself and posting them here, I got more focussed on what I wanted to achieve with my photography during 2013. I have done this before (at the forum for my local photo club) and might do it again (lets see what happens tomorrow).

Happy New Year to everyone!

Henning

My Nikonians gallery:

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Thu 02-Jan-14 08:27 PM
354 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your photographic New Year resolutions for 2013."
In response to Reply # 1

jacksonville, US

over in the astro forum there is a post about catching the very old/very new moon. I would have difficulty with the old moon i suspect due to the horizon i have to deal with but i have 11 more opportunities for the new moon rising

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Cafť (Public) topic #86276 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.