nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86035
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone here shooting Canon 5d III alongside D800?" Previous topic | Next topic
InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 07:05 PM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone here shooting Canon 5d III alongside D800?"

Encino, US

If so how do you like and compare 5D3 to D800?
I have D800e and Canon 7D. 7D is a backup camera which I only use concurrently with longer brighter lenses or macro.
7D, even with higher pixel density, does not cut it anymore for me for all situations (after experience with D800e)and knowing Canon now I don't think a replacement for 7D (if it is ever materializes) is going to be any better. Rumor has it at 24mp crop frame but Canon can't make FF 22mp any cleaner than Nikon 36mp.
So I am thinking of upgrading to 5D3 because I got 3 supersharp Sigma lenses (120-300mm, 70-200mm 150mm macro all OS) and selling these to get D800e and buying these again is a greater money loss than just simply selling 7D and getting 5D3.
So if any of you shooting 5D3 I would love to here how it really compares to D800 because most reviews out there are biased to Canon users.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Sat 22-Dec-12 01:42 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone here shooting Canon 5d III alongside D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

I would recommend renting one for a few days or a week.

That's how I determined if the D800 was going to suit my needs...and it does.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

InsaneO Registered since 09th May 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 04:59 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Anyone here shooting Canon 5d III alongside D800?"
In response to Reply # 1

Encino, US

I had 5d2 for 3 years so I doubt very much I would hate 5d3.
The question is how does it compare to D800?
By the time I sell all the lenses I will lose at least $1500 plus $600 difference between 5D3 and D800 total of $2000.
Is the difference worth $2000?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 22-Dec-12 02:01 AM
14876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone here shooting Canon 5d III alongside D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

I've used one, and it's a very good camera. If I used Canon equipment, I'd have no hesitation getting one. The D800 and 5DMIII have more in common than differences and it primarily boils down to which system you prefer and the equipment you already own. I would give the edge to the D800 in terms of image quality, but both are good enough that it doesn't matter a lot. There are challenges and awkward things with owning and using two different systems, but you probably already know that.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #86035 Previous topic | Next topic