Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85697
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suspicious e-Bay Listings" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 05:04 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
Wed 05-Dec-12 05:05 PM by CaptainYooh

Calgary, CA

I noticed a string of Nikkor 200-400mm f/4 lenses popping up on e-Bay lately. I've seen at least five of them in the past two months. They were all listed by different sellers with 0 feedback. All had VERY similar and very short descriptions (lens was used 5-10 times, no issues etc.). All were originating from Canada but specifying that the lenses were US-versions. Pictures were all very poor and done over wrinkled bedding or something alike. Prices were bid up from $2,650 to $4,500. I found them very suspicious. Anyone else noticed those?

P.S. Here's the link to latest one sold yesterday:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/200858721518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings
Scotty Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
07th Dec 2012
JonK Moderator
08th Dec 2012
10th Dec 2012
11th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
12th Dec 2012
benveniste Moderator
12th Dec 2012
12th Dec 2012
25th Jan 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
25th Jan 2013
benveniste Moderator
25th Jan 2013

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 06-Dec-12 09:44 AM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

why does it say under compatible brand: Nikon/Canon?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Thu 06-Dec-12 02:24 PM
4927 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

Probably bogus, and now the listing has been removed...

I remember once, out of sheer boredom, checking availability and price of 200-400VR on the Bay. I had found one or two that looked serious, but also various associated items that were clearly posted by people who were either stupid or dishonest. The most amusing one was a rubber band to stop lenscrawl, advertised as compatible with the 200-400

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 06-Dec-12 06:21 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 06-Dec-12 06:24 PM by nrothschild

US

Speaking of scam ebay listings...

A friend of mine recently sent me a couple of links to 500/4 AFS ebay listings (he wants one, apparently seriously). Two different sellers, both with good and extensive feedback. The two listings had the following in common:

1. Both for too good to be true Buy It Now prices (maybe $1000 or so)
2. Both had the same identical images, but "home made" images, not Nikon marketing images
3. Both had instructions, including email contact information, embedded in JPG images (to thwart eBay police looking for rules violations, in this case request for direct contact)
4. Both had instructions to contact the seller first.

Maybe other similarities. The email addresses in the JPGs were different. I explained the scam to my friend, and guessed that the seller accounts were hacked, explaining the good and extensicve feedback (the one anomaly in those otherwise typical scam listings). The real (scam) seller did not need an eBay account since he was looking specifically for direct contact to conclude the transaction outside eBay.

Just for grins my friend contacted one seller, who immediately responded that his account was hacked and they were NOT his listings. The listings disappeared shortly after.

Edit: I'm sure a quick search of prior 500/4 images would turn up a legit listing with the same images. I just didn't take the time since I knew that was likely the case. Very common tactic with high end telescopes and i'm sure other expensive items. It pays to search similar prior listings to see if the image in question is legit or just downloaded from some other listings.

my Nikonians gallery.

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 07:52 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 3

Calgary, CA

Yeah, these are obvious. When I see them, I report them to e-Bay right away and they're usually removed immediately.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 08-Dec-12 02:05 AM
4478 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

Naum, are you looking for a 200-400? If so, keep your eye on I Want To Sell this weekend…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Mon 10-Dec-12 07:21 PM
#6. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 5

Calgary, CA

Jon, "looking for" would be an overstatement at this time. "Vaguely lamenting about having one maybe" would be a more appropriate term.

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 02:25 PM
#7. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 6

Calgary, CA

Here's the next one. Same style, same bed, same description...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290829284314&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 12-Dec-12 06:23 AM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Naum,

The listing has been removed.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Wed 12-Dec-12 10:29 AM
9462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

Another one from today:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nikon-AF-S-Nikkor-200-400mm-f-4G-ED-IF-VR-Lens-/281037736563

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Wed 12-Dec-12 05:04 PM
#10. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 9

Calgary, CA

I am 99.99% sure this is one big scam. What is going on here, I wonder?

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 04:44 PM
#11. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 10

Calgary, CA

Looks like the same trend continues: Zero feedback, expensive lenses. What's the scam, I wonder?.. VERY suspicious. Buyers beware.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-200-mm-F-2G-AF-S-VR-II-IF-ED-Lens-/170979922275?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27cf329163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-ED-IF-D-AF-S-II-500-mm-F-4-0-Lens-/170979920645?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item27cf328b05

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-ED-300-mm-F-2-8-AF-MF-VR-II-Lens-/330863275448?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d08fcedb8

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 25-Jan-13 05:09 PM
10907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 11

US

In the description for the 500/4 AFSII:

"Only a year old and in MINT condition."

That lens hasn't been made for 6 years now

Aside from the zero seller rating those listings actually don't have the other typical markers, such as Too Good To Be True buy it now prices, attempts to settle outside ebay via jpg embedded text, and in particular demands for payment outside paypal.

my Nikonians gallery.

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 05:16 PM
#13. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 12

Calgary, CA

I know. But I am convinced they are all coming from the same source (listed as Ontario, Canada). This dirty wrinkled bed sheet was pictured in other/previous listings of this kind. Are they stolen? Fake? What??? Blows my mind...

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 25-Jan-13 08:56 PM
9462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Suspicious e-Bay Listings"
In response to Reply # 13

Boston Area, US

Are they stolen? Fake? What??? Blows my mind...

Any of the above. The pictures could even be of rental lenses.

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85697 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.