Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85607
View in linear mode

Subject: "Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?" Previous topic | Next topic
rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Sat 01-Dec-12 03:17 PM
448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"

Akron, US

I had just finished reading the "Stupid things I've done" thread when I glanced up at the TV and saw the latest Rebel commercial. You know, the one that shows a man standing on the edge of a snowy roof, a woman running with a giraffe, a guy in chest deep water trying to take a picture and the person luge-ing down a street filming a rolling, burning tire.

Maybe I'm turning into an old f*rt, but that commercial really bugs the you-know-what out of me. The very clear subtext seems to be that hey, it's okay to risk life and limb in the pursuit of self-expression/creativity. Am I out of line thinking this kind of advertising is incredibly irresponsible?

Russ

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Zenfolio page: www.yellowcreekstudio.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?
mklass Platinum Member
01st Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
01st Dec 2012
rosewood_ltd Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
01st Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
01st Dec 2012
esantos Moderator
01st Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
01st Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
05th Dec 2012
walkerr Administrator
05th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
05th Dec 2012
05th Dec 2012
01st Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
01st Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member
01st Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
01st Dec 2012
KenLPhotos Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
dhrphoto Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
dhrphoto Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
04th Dec 2012
dhrphoto Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
06th Dec 2012
ZoneV Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
dhrphoto Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
21st Dec 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 01-Dec-12 04:23 PM
6072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

It all part of the culture that wants to think it is "living on the edge". It's a different twist on any typical advertising campaign theme, such as manliness, romance, glamor or sex.

Plus dull doesn't sell.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

P.S. When those "living on the edge" fall off, we call it "culling the herd".

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 01-Dec-12 05:13 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

It doesn't bother me. We all have to take responsibility for own actions. If someone has trouble differentiating between something smart to do and something silly or dangerous, there are probably things other than this commercial that will cause them problems. Personally, I like the energy and creativity of the commercial and don't want everything sanitized for my protection.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Sat 01-Dec-12 05:47 PM
448 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 01-Dec-12 05:47 PM by rosewood_ltd

Akron, US

I guess I've truly turned into a stick-in-the-mud.

Back in the day, over 30 years ago, I did my share of climbing in Yosemite. There's nothing in the world like the experience of being on even a "little" big wall, the rush that comes with the view, the exposure and the accomplishment. But...the idea is to pit your skill and nerve against a difficult problem and to come out on top. Integral to that process is a constant, baseline level of risk assessment and exercise of critical judgement.

Commercials like the Canon one feed the subliminal message that you can't possibly be having fun unless you are walking right on the edge of disaster, your blood about 80 proof adrenaline. It's a different wrinkle on the thought that if you're hungry, gosh, you need to snack on a candy bar right away, because it's BAD to feel hungry.

The message that this constant bombardment produces in the collective subconscious is that every single moment of waking existence must be filled to the brim with intense experience or instant gratification, otherwise you're not alive.

If you've ever had a close call of any kind, you know what the simple exhilaration of "I'm alive!" feels like. Everything is seen and experienced with incredible clarity and lucidity and the bath your brain takes in the epinephrine and endorphins from the event can keep you buzzed for hours. You take out the change later in the form of nightmares or, in extreme cases, PTSD.

Of course it's absolutely true that we're all responsible for our own actions and should be free to make choices, but there seems to be a general attitude these days that you can figuratively or literally jump off a cliff, but it's cool, because someone can always call 911 to bail you out if it hits the fan.

Perhaps I'm overly sensitized to all of this, because I work in a Level 1 trauma center, but that's kinda how I see things. Lots of horrendously bad things happen to people completely out of the blue, true accidents, as it were. But the majority of what I see day-to-day has a really significant component of bad judgement and poor decision making at the root of it all. In general, commercials like the one from Canon fuel and reinforce a general mindset of thoughtless risk-taking in the pursuit of "fun."

<Steps off soapbox>
Of course, maybe this rant was partly fueled by my night on call

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 01-Dec-12 06:21 PM
14702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

I understand your sensitivity given where you work, but should we also eliminate documentaries on mountaineering, exploration of the Arctic, research in malarial areas of the Amazon, wreck diving, etc.? How far do we go to protect people from themselves?

BTW, I climbed and rappelled in my younger days, but never got a buzz or rush from it. I was just happy to get down in one piece. I'm just probably wired differently and less susceptible to that kind of stimulation.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 01-Dec-12 05:51 PM
18538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Dec-12 05:52 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

(okay, I'm JOKING here, we're among friends)

That other camera company's users are sheep and need to feel like they are X-Men/Avenger photojounalists doing something unique because, you and I both know, its all about the equipment giving super powers and talent, not the person behind the viewfinder.

On a slightly more serious note. Its advertising. They could have a spokesperson with the camera take a picture of a (no offense meant) politician being hit in the face with a whip cream pie and chimp the image for the viewer (with the disclaimer that no politician was hurt or humiliated in the process of making this commercial. Images are simulated. Professional pie maker, on a closed set...) and sell a ton of cameras. Or pie. I like pie.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 01-Dec-12 06:14 PM
11727 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Dec-12 06:14 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Well, I have to say, it's a better ad than the ones with Mr. Kutcher.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sat 01-Dec-12 06:16 PM
#6. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 5

Colorado Springs, US

I strongly agree. It's pretty clear we don't align with the demographic Nikon is pitching to in those ads.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 05-Dec-12 05:47 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 6

Chicago, US

And who pays for the injured when others follow this stunt and fail?

Think a about the quadriplegic who will never work again and needs a care giver.

There are also those who defy the recommendations of park rangers and take adventures in bad weather and then expect others to risk their lives to save them. Yes these people risk their lives but do they need to do it for the stupid and should everyone else pay for it. Especially if that person is a trained and certified professional in a related field?

There needs to be a clear disclaimer about possible dangers.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Wed 05-Dec-12 07:04 PM
#18. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 17

Colorado Springs, US

How many disclaimers and warnings in fine print do we need? It's already getting silly on many fronts.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 05-Dec-12 07:24 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 18

Chicago, US

And so are people who do very obvious stupid things and blame everyone but themselves.

Have you watched Jackass or Whacked out Sports?

Unfortunately they survive and encourage others.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 07:39 PM
#20. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 19

Akron, US

Perhaps we should look at it as a screening test for Darwin award finalists...

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Sat 01-Dec-12 06:22 PM
#8. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 5

Akron, US

LOL! Oh, yes!

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 01-Dec-12 07:05 PM
18538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 5

Rancho Cordova, US

Well, I have to say, it's a better ad than the ones with Mr. Kutcher.

Very much so.

Anthony

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 01-Dec-12 06:32 PM
6072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

If you don't like the Canon ad, you probably won't like this either: http://gopro.com/?dclid=0-3827881-7046934-90139828-264276171-50994221-51023893

Not too far into it, it just gets boring. To me it shouts: "Hey, look at me, aren't I cool!" Which is so uncool.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSat 01-Dec-12 07:04 PM
#10. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 01-Dec-12 07:06 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

I kinda like the GoPro ads but that one was LONG and repetative. I want one for when I go biking, granted my rides are mundane but I'd like to have one. My son wants one to record his Nerf wars with his friends.

Anthony

KenLPhotos Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 02:28 PM
1437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stewartstown, US

It all boils down to "Does it make you want to buy a Canon?". Not me! So it is just bad advertising.

KenL

There are many 'images of beautiful objects' but few 'beautiful images of objects'.

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 02:43 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

Yeh, right. I've done roofing & sheetmetal for over ten years and I'd would not like to see someone even attemp this! For what goes up must come down! I've seen people fall from a dry roof, let alone a snowy one. There is a layer of ice under the snow! I'm sure the advertising personel and most people in the world haven't done roofing for a living! Quite a few people die or get seriously hurt falling from dry roofs! You might as well try to jump from a car going sixty miles an hour, one would probably end up in the same place!

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 02:57 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 13

Laurel, US

I guess Canon doesn't want to sell camera's to construction workers. One look at the comercial and they know this is a trick. They probably will think the company is full of it.

Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 03:30 AM
#15. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 14

Rancho Cordova, US

Working in architecture, I cringe when I see some of the things some construction workers do on construction sites.

Anthony

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Wed 05-Dec-12 01:05 AM
#16. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 15

Laurel, US

>Working in architecture, I cringe when I see some of the
>things some construction workers do on construction sites.
>
>
>Anthony

Yes, I agree, and I'm glad I don't do roofing anymore!

Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 10:24 PM
3204 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I like the commercial and the music. Canon and the advertising agency did exactly what they wanted. They got your attention. How many commercials start a forum discussion? The most important part of the commercial was at the end. The video of the burning tire. That's brilliant. The kids will love to make their movies. Hopefully they won't go around burning tires and rolling them down a hill.

Len

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 20-Dec-12 03:26 AM
3498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I finally saw the commerical, but came across it online on youtube rather than on TV. I like it. Here's the link:

https://www.longliveimagination.com/community/tips-and-techniques?utm_source=yt&utm_medium=olv&utm_campaign=inspire

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2004Thu 20-Dec-12 01:05 PM
3621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cape Coral, US

Ah come on... it's a commercial. It's TV.

Let's ban old Road Runner cartoons, as it may make our kids drop safes on people too.

We're becoming a race of Pierson's Puppeteers (for the S.F. fans) already, trying to engineer all danger out of everything we touch, to the point our lawn mowers barely can cut grass. Not all of it is bad, but we need a sense of perspective.

Look at half the car commercials made -- should they stop because they involve dangerous driving? (Closed track tiny print disclaimer aside).

Isn't there a car commercial playing now where someone starts a snowball rolling down a mountain toward a road?

Just about every Old Spice commercial, most of the Captain Morgan commercials...

Remember that silly movie (something like "invention of Lying") where one person, just one, can tell a lie, and everyone takes everything at absolute face value?

Now if we were in THAT world, this commercial would bother me.

>>> Am I out of line thinking this kind of advertising
>>>is incredibly irresponsible?

You should go looking for RESPONSIBLE advertising. It's a much smaller result set you will find.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Fri 21-Dec-12 01:54 AM
#24. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 23

Laurel, US

>Ah come on... it's a commercial. It's TV.

Very true, and most of what is on TV is not real!

>Let's ban old Road Runner cartoons, as it may make our kids
>drop safes on people too.

I tried that once

There are just to many people see people do.
Not much comon sense, and most of us has probably done something stupid at least once.

>We're becoming a race of Pierson's Puppeteers (for the S.F.
>fans) already, trying to engineer all danger out of everything
>we touch, to the point our lawn mowers barely can cut grass.
>Not all of it is bad, but we need a sense of perspective.

However, quite a few people have been seriously hurt from lawn mowers

Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2004Fri 21-Dec-12 02:14 AM
3621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Have you seen the latest Canon commercial?"
In response to Reply # 24
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:16 AM by Ferguson

Cape Coral, US

>There are just to many people see people do.
>Not much comon sense, and most of us has probably done
>something stupid at least once.

While I believe in not hving hidden dangers, but frankly....

>>we touch, to the point our lawn mowers barely can cut
>grass.
>>Not all of it is bad, but we need a sense of perspective.
>
>However, quite a few people have been seriously hurt from lawn
>mowers

You know, a while back someone sued the manufacturer of a lawn mower (or so it was reported) when they picked it up, tried to trim a hedge with it (a small powered more) and got hurt.

While I don't really like to see people hurt, there's a point when you just want Darwin to take over and improve the breed.

And you know what -- if someone sees the guy rolling down the hill chasing a burning tire, and does it himself and gets killed, I will not shed a tear, any more than if they tried to catch a falling safe from watching Road Runner.

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85607 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.