nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Have you seen this lens shade?

Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US
2809 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007
Fri 30-Nov-12 05:38 PM

I just saw this product http://www.adorama.com/DIK3020.html?kbid=912610&emailprice=t&j=Email113012Stuff&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email113012Stuff&utm_source=ET in an Adorama ad. Looks interesting, but I imagine it would not be very useful except when shooting from a tripod, with the camera fixed in one position.

Interesting idea, though. So often when shooting toward the sun I find myself sticking my hand out in front of the camera to shade the lens, like this product would do. With an SLR you can see through the lens how contrast improves and flair disappears.

I use an 18-200 a lot, and that may be why I'm shading the lens with my hand so often. I don't think the hood is very effective, likely because it has to be wide enough to avoid being in the frame at 18mm, so it's not going to provide much shade at longer focal lengths.

Is this lens shade a gimmick, or a useful product?

Randy

G