Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85597
View in linear mode

Subject: "Have you seen this lens shade?" Previous topic | Next topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 30-Nov-12 05:38 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Have you seen this lens shade?"

Tallahassee, Florida, US

I just saw this product http://www.adorama.com/DIK3020.html?kbid=64628&emailprice=t&j=Email113012Stuff&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email113012Stuff&utm_source=ET in an Adorama ad. Looks interesting, but I imagine it would not be very useful except when shooting from a tripod, with the camera fixed in one position.

Interesting idea, though. So often when shooting toward the sun I find myself sticking my hand out in front of the camera to shade the lens, like this product would do. With an SLR you can see through the lens how contrast improves and flair disappears.

I use an 18-200 a lot, and that may be why I'm shading the lens with my hand so often. I don't think the hood is very effective, likely because it has to be wide enough to avoid being in the frame at 18mm, so it's not going to provide much shade at longer focal lengths.

Is this lens shade a gimmick, or a useful product?

Randy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Fri 30-Nov-12 06:09 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Have you seen this lens shade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

"Is this lens shade a gimmick, or a useful product?"

I would think whether this is really useful or not depends on: 1) How often a photographer finds him/herself in a position where they might want to shade the front of their lens; and 2) Whether this extends far enough to accommodate the lens in use. (I noticed that the sample lens in the ad is significantly shorter than an 18-200 when zoomed to 200.)

For my personal shooting, I use my hat to shade the front of the lens the few times per year when I think it may help, so I doubt that I will be purchasing such a product.

Good luck,
Richard

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 01-Dec-12 10:58 PM
1786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Have you seen this lens shade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Randy,
Like Richard, I use a hat to shade my lenses from flare. Actually, the only lens that I have that seems very flair prone is my Sigma 8-16mm. Looking at the product I think it would work with my Sigma, however I'm not looking to place any more equipment/stuff in my backpack. I'd prefer to stay with my hat, save the space and use the $25+ for something I'd getuse more often and that would provide me better value.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sun 02-Dec-12 12:19 PM
4818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Have you seen this lens shade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Looks like the sort of thing I have seen on a Canon... nuff said really...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 02-Dec-12 01:03 PM
8059 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Have you seen this lens shade?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Cinematographers and videographers have used such devices forever. They are called French flags. Yes they are usefull and I have thought about getting one. When shooting groups on fixed risers, I cannot move the camera and I use a notebook handheld.

While they work best when you can tinker with it while tripod mounted, I can see that working in a pinch.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85597 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.