Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85533
View in linear mode

Subject: "Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?" Previous topic | Next topic
rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Wed 28-Nov-12 12:28 AM
382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"

Akron, US

Will be in Flagstaff for a week beginning Dec. 14th. I am completely unfamiliar with the area, except to know I'm going to use it as a base of operations to go see the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and probably down to Sedona. Beyond that, I'm looking for accessible opportunities for my new D800. I'm able to do a bit of hiking, so short excursions to sights (2-3 mile round trip) are possible.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Russ

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Zenfolio page: www.yellowcreekstudio.zenfolio.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?
tekneektom Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
rosewood_ltd Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
esantos Moderator
28th Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012
DeanAZ Moderator
28th Nov 2012
28th Nov 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
jgould2 Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 28-Nov-12 12:43 AM
1799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Many people say "don't skip the north rim" it seems they think it's better.

Tom

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Wed 28-Nov-12 12:46 AM
382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 1

Akron, US

Absolutely, agree 100%, except I anticipate access to it will be closed off. My understanding is that Highway 67 usually closes in Mid-October.

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 28-Nov-12 02:33 AM
11520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Jerome, AZ is an interesting place to visit. It is near Sedona. A kind of funky, sort of creepy, part ghost town part art center with a lot of history going back to the days of mining. If you are willing to drive east for a few hours I highly recommend Petrified Forest National Park and Canyon de Chelly National Monument as well.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Wed 28-Nov-12 03:04 AM
#4. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 3

Akron, US

Thanks, Ernesto! This is exactly the kind of info which I find most useful. I'm probably less familiar with the southwest than any other part of the country.
Russ

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 28-Nov-12 04:43 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

You've got quite a few options in the area. Remember the sun sets at about 5:20PM.

Sunset Crater, a volcanic cinder cone and on the same loop you have some fine ruins as well.

Walnut Canyon, ruins

Meteor Crator

Ride the chair lift up at the Snow Bowl ski area. It takes you from 9000' to about 11,000' elevation.

Route 66 runs through Flagstaff across norther Arizona.

Grand Canyon and take the desert drive loop and visit the Camron trading post.

Have a great time!

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

rosewood_ltd Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Sep 2008Wed 28-Nov-12 02:03 PM
#6. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 5

Akron, US

Thanks, Dean. I was hoping to hear from you, as I consider you one of the "go to" guys when it comes to knowledge of the US southwest. I'll definitely be checking on those possibilities. We'll see how much The Boss wants to be dragged around . It's dangerous, but maybe a bit of bribery in the form of shopping in Sedona might facilitate things. We'll see. Thanks again for responding.

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 05:00 AM
2500 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 03-Dec-12 03:55 PM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

In 1990 I went to see Comdex in Las Vegas. After the exhibition, I rented a car and drove via Grand Canyon to Phoenix, sleeping the night between in Flagstaff. These are some of the photos I took after Grand Canyon, so some of them were likely shot near Flagstaff.

Regards, Antero

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 08:38 PM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Traveling to Flagstaff - what to see?"
In response to Reply # 0

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi Russ.

If you are willing to travel about twice as far as the Grand Canyon, there are the Slot Canyons close to Page, AZ. I spent a week there in September and there was plenty to see and shoot.

JIM

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85533 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.