Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85365
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)" Previous topic | Next topic
Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Thu 15-Nov-12 06:49 AM
3635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"

Colombo, LK

Hello Everybody
I'm looking for suggestions before buying a jacket or a west that can serve as shot term carriage device from air port check in to the cabin

Capacity is the the most important factor, comfort comes second. If the jacket/vest has big enough pockets, I don't mind carrying even a 70-200 in it!

Regards
Dinil

Struck by Light - Blog & Gallery
Visible Range - Photography & Beyond

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)
philipl Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
philipl Gold Member
16th Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
15th Nov 2012
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
15th Nov 2012
scottashley Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
f11 Gold Member
19th Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
20th Nov 2012
Sing141 Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
20th Nov 2012
noneco Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
philipl Gold Member
16th Nov 2012
agitater Gold Member
17th Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
18th Nov 2012
agitater Gold Member
18th Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
19th Nov 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
21st Nov 2012
agraichen Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
fgrths2 Platinum Member
20th Nov 2012
Ginsbury Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Chuck_Tankersley Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
wkferry Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
dalafleur
20th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
philipl Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
biggupp Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
jdroach Platinum Member
20th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
longlens Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Bob Schwartz Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
Fovea Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
jluria
21st Nov 2012

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Thu 15-Nov-12 10:07 AM
1740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 15-Nov-12 10:10 AM by philipl

Oxford, US

When I travel by air I always wear a tamrac vest and carry a very small canvas carry on in addition to my Dryzone 100 camera bag. In the event i'm told I have to check the dryzone all my gear fits in the vest and small carry on.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-World-Correspondent-Large-Khaki/dp/B0000AB4ON/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1352977353&sr=8-6&keywords=tamrac+camera+vest

and a link to the bag i carry:

http://www.territoryahead.com/jump.jsp?itemID=3285&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=3285&rel=C&relid=2567&path=1%2C2

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Thu 15-Nov-12 01:41 PM
3635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 1

Colombo, LK

Thanks Philip
What sort of lenses go in those pockets..?

16-35? 24-70?

Regards
Dinil

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 10:27 AM
1740 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 2

Oxford, US

17-35, 50, etc I wouldn't try the 24-70 or 70-200.

Philip

Do not settle for mediocrity. Rather strive for excellence for even in that attempt lies a measure of success.

My Gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 15-Nov-12 03:57 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

For a customizable vest see Vested Interest

George
My Nikonian Galleries

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Thu 15-Nov-12 04:44 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 3

Calgary, CA

I have three vests but use Banana Republic Photojournalist Vest most of the time. It's 100% cotton and I like the pocket sizes. I use it in combination with NG Africa canvas bag when I fly.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

scottashley Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 03:12 AM
468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 4

Arvada, US

I'll second the Banana Republic vest. I've had one for about 20 years and it's made trips to many places in the world. For airline travel, it's like another free carry-on bag because it holds so much. Mine has held up great over the years.

About 15 years ago Eddie Bauer took the same basic idea and added zip-on/zip-off sleeves, and it's a close second. I doubt they still make it, but I love mine.

Scott Ashley

www.ScottAshleyPhotography.com

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Mon 19-Nov-12 05:13 PM
791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon 19-Nov-12 05:24 PM by f11

Tulsa, US

I have an early Vested Interest that has pockets large enough to make my shoulders hurt if I load it to capacity.
Here is a photo by Rick Matheny while we were at Yellowstone National Park during ANPAT 7. It is adjustable so fits over bulky clothing, but can also be cinched up so that it fits closely. There are mesh panels so it is not hot in warmer weather. I have had mine since the early 80's and it has held up very well.

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 03:56 AM
6679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 11

Philadelphia, US

James, I don't think there is much doubt Vested Interest makes some well respected and liked photography vests. While they aren't my cup of tea, I can understand why they are liked.

That being said, for an "in-transit" vest, to help photographers get through airports, etc., I personally don't think they measure up.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Sing141 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 04:12 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 14

Bakersfield, US

>James, I don't think there is much doubt Vested Interest
>makes some well respected and liked photography vests. While
>they aren't my cup of tea, I can understand why they are
>liked.
>
>That being said, for an "in-transit" vest, to help
>photographers get through airports, etc., I personally don't
>think they measure up.

Don't measure up because?

Sing141

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 04:29 AM
6679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 15

Philadelphia, US

They're for the most part bags hung from one's shoulders by cloth, not a true vest. As a result they are extremely bulky for general purpose wear, and not at all easy to sit in, even at the edge of one's seat. (I must add, that no vest will work to wear while sitting in a seat on a plane when loaded with gear, but these don't work well, even at the gate, and they make you very wide for getting through doors, and down aisles. The loaded vests need to be packed in the overhead bin when aloft.) They are excellent for carrying gear when walking around outside, however. for in-transit wear, I look for something which fits me well, is comfortable, and carries gear without bulging out with so much bulk.

Compare the photos on the Vested Interest site, vs. the Tamrac site and I think you'll readily see what I mean.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

noneco Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 05:49 AM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 19

Vancouver, CA

About a year ago I found a Nikon "Vestrap" on Ebay. Nikon stopped making them around 2003. Pity, but they do show up. The Strap part of the name (Vestrap) is the 1.5” built-in strap across the shoulders that keeps the camera off of your neck. In the smaller photo you can see black reinforcing across the shoulders that spreads out the weight of the strap.

It is very solidly made but it is not a light-weight vest and might be a bit warm in summer in southern climes, even though it does have large vents on the back. You can see the 6 front pockets. There are hand warmers as well - you can just make one out by my elbow. There are 4 inside pockets as well - 2 at the waist which are larger than the exterior ones and two smaller ones at chest height. There is also a very large full width pocket waist height across the back which will easily carry a 70-200 f/2.8. All pockets Velcro close except the two inside chest ones - one zippers and the other is open for clipping a pen, flash light, or . . .

The smaller photo shows the original straps. I removed them and put D-rings through the loops. I use Op/Tech straps on my camera to attach to the Op/Tech straps clipped to the D-rings. I have the same setup on my day pack.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 10:31 AM
#6. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Oxford, US

Here is an old shot of my Dryzone and smaller bag. With the vest and the canvas bag I can fit all this equipment.

Philip

My Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 17-Nov-12 09:09 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Consider investing in a real travel vest made by a clothing company that specializes in travel clothing. The Tilley Endurables (based in Toronto, factory in Toronto, superb quality), makes something called the Multi-Tech Excursion Vest which is wonderful, but offers pockets up to mid-size only. The better choice from Tilley is the Vest of Many Pockets (VOMP) which is amazingly roomy.

The best things about Tilley vests are that they last forever, come with a superb warranty, look like travel clothing rather than photography clothing, and are very comfortable.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 18-Nov-12 10:24 PM
#8. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 18-Nov-12 10:24 PM by Ned_L

Philadelphia, US

While I think that Tilley is a terrific travel clothing company, I don't like their vests for hauling around travel, electronic, and other gear while in transit. I found them barely adequate for what I carry in my vest on all trips, and inadequate to be my "third carry-on." Their other clothing, and especially their hats are great.

My current vest of choice is the Tamrac The World Correspondent's Vest (Model 153). It has the necessary pockets with adequate size, and strength, and for me, it's quite comfortable.

I have it in a couple of sizes. One to wear normally (travel one for in transit use), and another to wear over a parka in winter.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 18-Nov-12 11:44 PM
4147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 8

Toronto, CA

Ned, I think you've addressed the OP's question more accurately than me for sure. My Tilley vests work perfectly for me - but I don't carry even half as much gear as you or the OP.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 19-Nov-12 03:01 AM
#10. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 9

Philadelphia, US

Howard, if I was using the vest, merely for shooting, the Tilley VOMP would be in there as a highly viable choice. As you alluded, the OP is looking for an in-transit vest, and the two Tilleys just don't make it for me, because this vest has to be able to haul around a ton of gear, just in case.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 01:07 AM
3075 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 8

McEwen, US

>While I think that Tilley is a terrific travel clothing
>company, I don't like their vests for hauling around travel,
>electronic, and other gear while in transit. I found them
>barely adequate for what I carry in my vest on all trips, and
>inadequate to be my "third carry-on." Their other
>clothing, and especially their hats are great.
>
>My current vest of choice is the Tamrac The World
>Correspondent's Vest (Model 153). It has the necessary pockets
>with adequate size, and strength, and for me, it's quite
>comfortable.
>
>I have it in a couple of sizes. One to wear normally (travel
>one for in transit use), and another to wear over a parka in
>winter.
>
>Ned

I have a Domke vest that is very similar to the Tamrac Ned discussed. It does have mesh on the back, but I do think the ventilation on the Tamrac would work better. The pockets are about the same size as the Tamrac. My 300 mm DX lens plus a padded sleeve will fit in the largest pocket.

The only problem I have with any vest or multi-pocket clothing is remembering what I put in which pocket!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

agraichen Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 02:41 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

I've used Domke vests for years. I find the external and internal pockets good for the lens I typically carry although the 2.8 70-200 is a tight fit length-wise.

fgrths2 Platinum Member Nikonian since 30th May 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 04:14 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Scottsdale, US

The most amazing jacket for international travel I've ever seen and/or used is made by TEC (Technology Enabled Clothing). The amazing part is that at first glance it appears to be an average mid-weight windbreaker. On closer inspection zippers including removable sleeves and a hood that rolls into the collar become apparent everywhere. The only item that matches or exceeds the zippers are the compartments designed to hold everything imaginable.

Check it out at www.scottevest.com, however if I recall I purchased mine through The Magellan Catalog/website. Its 100% polyester shell and lining has a tag that reads Gear Management Solutions and boy does it. It's worth a "look-see", appears very normal until one begins pulling out items reminiscent of Mary Poppins' Carpet bag.

Bill or WJF

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 06:42 AM
353 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 18

Netanya, IL

Seconded. I use a Scottevest jacket (and trousers) for travel. Truly worth an extra carry-on! The jacket has to come off for the X-ray machine and go through separately (with belt, hat, pouch, shoes and what-have-you) but it has never had to be weighed in.

Full marks also for the helpful sales staff at Scottevest.

Nathan

Chuck_Tankersley Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2005Tue 20-Nov-12 02:44 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 22

Stone Mountain, US

I'll add a third recommendation for the Scottevests. They have a great selection of vests and jackets and coats that will fit all weather conditions. I have a half dozen of their vests in a variety of colors and weights.

wkferry Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Aug 2010Tue 20-Nov-12 05:40 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Check out the vests at bigpockets.com. Lots of "bigpockets"; lightweight strong nylon construction. Surprised not to see them mentioned.

dalafleur Registered since 02nd May 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 09:09 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Billingham vest. From what I've seen and heard, this product sits squarly at the top of the heap. I've had mine for about three years. The quality of materials, the design and construction are nothing like I've ever seen. I believe it to be the best in the design area as it has pockets everywhere, inside and out, and can accomodate a 70-200 with no problem. Yes, it's pricey but I can guarantee you that you'll only cry once. Check out their website for a detailed description. I got mine through Amazon but they're available through B&H and, I believe, Adorama.

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 02:49 PM
#30. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 23

Colombo, LK

William & Doug
Thanks for your responses - Billingham certainly looks like an excellent product at a premium price! - unfortunately large size is out of stock everywhere

Regards
Dinil

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 09:39 AM
#24. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Colombo, LK

Philip, Naum, Scott, James, Ned, Allen, Cal, Howard, Alfred, Nathan and Bill;

Thank you so much for your help.

None of the photo stores in Perth have anything decent in stock at the moment - most of theme can order anything I want - but B&H is much cheaper even with shipping to Australia!

I have another couple of questions for Ned, Bill and Nathan.

Ned;
Sizes of the Tamrac vest is very confusing, I'm exactly 6ft and regular large size fits me well.
B&H specs for large tamrac 153 are as follows

Chest size measured 1.0" below armhole - large = 50" (127cm) .
Waist measure 9.0" (23cm) below armhole - Large = 48.5" (123cm) .
Bottom Sweep-Garment Hem - Large = 47" (119.4cm) .
Body Length-neck seam to bottom of garment - Large = 31" (79cm) .
Cross shoulder - Large = 19.75" (50.2cm)
Armhole - Large = 28" (71cm)

Based on the B&H specs I should buy the Small size to fit me well???
What is your experience with Tamrac sizes? Since I cannot find a sample to fit on, pestering you guys is the only option I have got...apologies in advance!

Bill and Nathan;
Scottvest size guide is more comprehensive, so that part is covered! After looking at the vests, I'm not too sure whether my lenses will fit in those pockets.
I want something that can swallow at least a 16-35mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8, 105mm f/2.8, and a 50mm. I will be carrying all the lenses listed on my profile and a D700 and D800 with grips.

Regards
Dinil

philipl Gold Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 10:41 AM
#25. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 24

Oxford, US

I have the Tamrac 153 which I bought 4 years ago. I'm 5' 10" and 180#. My vest is the medium and is quite large on me.

Philip

My Gallery

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 02:53 PM
#31. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 24
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:25 PM by Fovea

Colombo, LK

Ned;
You can disregard my last question - found the answer but I do have another question!

What is the biggest lens that can go in Tamrac 153 pockets? How many lenses can go in the vest?

As for the size, I measured my large "Amphibian" vest and found out that the dimensions were exactly similar to those of Tamrac large vest.

Philip;
Thanks, your reply prompted me to measure my old vest!

Regards
Dinil

biggupp Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 01:31 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The Domke Jacket <http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/154354-REG/Domke_735_002_Photogs_Convertible_Jacket_Vest_Medium.html>/BI/4775/KBID/5289/; is a good choice. I wrote a review sometime back about the vest version of this.
After having used several vests over time (I have used a Banana Republic vest that ultimately shredded with not-too-much use), I have found jackets with zip-off sleeves to be the most practical.
One primary concern is that a jacket be water-repellent. That said, Revivex can help accomplish this with cotton gear. Must be reapplied periodically.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Tue 20-Nov-12 01:50 PM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 26

Milwaukee, US

I like my Domke. I use it to care a few odds and ends when traveling and will but a few lenses in pockets when in the field. As good as it is, I do not like being over burdened. It is an additional utility to backpack, etcs.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 02:59 PM
#32. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 26
Tue 20-Nov-12 03:00 PM by Fovea

Colombo, LK

John;
Thanks!

Barry;
Thanks and welcome to Nikonians!

Domke's size guide not very comprehensive though!

Regards
Dinil

longlens Silver Member Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 04:10 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 32

Pleasant Hill, US

I bought my first Banana Republic Vest about 20 years ago in their original store in San Francisco. The pockets were small, but better tnan nothing. I have used several since then, including an excellent "Kodak" vest, no longer made. The Domke khaki vests are well designed, have very large pockets, have zippers and velcro where appropriate, have a mesh back for ventilation, are washable. I have used mine in Asia, Europe, Alaska, primarily to hold little things,or lenses temporarily, since I always carry a shoulder bag. I have a 46 coat size, wear their XL size. The Tiffen website (Domke distributor)has a good size chart.

Stan

Bob Schwartz Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Jun 2008Tue 20-Nov-12 02:11 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Houston, US

Scott makes the best vests, jackets etc that I have ever used. They are great for Photography and for air travel. Multiple pockets, can hold a computer, phone as well as lens.

And they don't flash out the sign that you are a photographer, which is a great antitheft feature.

B

Fovea Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 03:01 PM
#33. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 28

Colombo, LK

Thanks Bob
How many and what sort of lenses go in a Scottvest?

Regards
Dinil

jluria Registered since 02nd Jul 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 02:11 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Best Jacket/Vests for air travel (check in)"
In response to Reply # 0

Central Bridge, US

>Hello Everybody
>I'm looking for suggestions before buying a jacket or a west
>that can serve as shot term carriage device from air port
>check in to the cabin
>
>Capacity is the the most important factor, comfort comes
>second. If the jacket/vest has big enough pockets, I don't
>mind carrying even a 70-200 in it!

Brevity requires me to say I've owned any number of vests for this purpose. Tilley went with me to Africa for five weeks. Best thing I've owned like it.

Live to Ride, Ride to Live.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85365 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.