Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85331
View in linear mode

Subject: "BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE" Previous topic | Next topic
largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 03:11 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
Mon 12-Nov-12 03:12 PM by largebore

Clarks Summit, US

Not sure where the best place to post this is, but from all of the choices this seems to be a good place.

What is the best or atleast preferred software or service to use to post albums for others to see.. I like something more than just a matrix of images.
I tried Smugmug and like the presentation options. So looking for some ideas from those that have used the different services..

Selling photos on-line is not important to me.

Looking at Flicker, Smugmug, Picasso, Photobucket etc....

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE
JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
13th Nov 2012
cogrady Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
archivue Gold Member
13th Nov 2012
largebore Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
BrianS Silver Member
16th Nov 2012
          Reply message Zenfolio Plug-in
photomia Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
               Reply message RE: Zenfolio Plug-in
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
12th Mar 2013
agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
18th Nov 2012
spiritualized67 Silver Member
12th Mar 2013
largebore Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
14th Mar 2013
GiantTristan Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
sulkyrob Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Bass rock
16th Mar 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 12:42 AM
4749 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Each site has characteristics that will govern how it presents your pictures. For example, Flickr tends to focus on the social aspects while Smugmug focuses on the presentation with an eye to sales.

To that end, I use them in that light. I use Smugmug to hold the good stuff hoping for sales; Flickr for the "here's a shot a took".

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

cogrady Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2009Tue 13-Nov-12 02:44 AM
579 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

For what it's worth I use Zenfolio. Easy to use, easy to customize, and ready for photo sales when you want to go that route.

Cheers!

Claudia

www.one-eye-closed.com
www.lastlightphotographicstudios.com

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Tue 13-Nov-12 09:32 AM
5510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Paris, FR

I don't really know what is "best", as it depends on one's use...
I favor Flickr, as it's cheap enough ("Pro" version), has a big database, and has good copyright rules (even though they don't enforce them directly most times, they are there!).

While the usual layout of the site isn't really a "showcase" for one's pictures, you can use for that thousands of API based applications, either through a sent link (style: "The 50mm f/1.8G is a neat little lens" - http://www.fluidr.com/photos/archivue/tags/50mmf18g/interesting), or even having those displayed on your web site, through the database on Flickr !

It's easy to search for given topics, such as photographic hardware or geographical locations. I'm always surprised to see pictures of some architecture sites that I know are closed to public or difficult to access or that haven't been published for years... It can be a great information resource !
I saw and followed some young photographers (usually french ) who started there with some small photojournalistic tryouts, see them grow to fame (and see their pictures in news magazines) and even, in a sad case, learn of the death of one of them in a car crash in a far away part of the world....!

I know of photo agencies or publicity ones, going regularly through searches on Flickr to find what they need and ask the author for rights to publish or to work with the picture as a backdrop...
Some stealing does occur though!

So, it may be a "social oriented" site, but it's really huge, free for the basics, easy and quick access, and with the API thing can be mixed at every "sauce" you dream of...

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Tue 13-Nov-12 12:09 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 13-Nov-12 12:11 PM by largebore

Clarks Summit, US

> I don't really know what is "best", as it depends
>on one's use...
>I favor Flickr, as it's cheap enough ("Pro"
>version), has a big database, and has good copyright rules

>-
>http://www.fluidr.com/photos/archivue/tags/50mmf18g/interesting),
>or even having those displayed on your web site, through the
>database on Flickr !
>
>

Thanks the photos on the fluidr site were really good.
I have no need to sell photos, create a blog, gather feedback or rate photos, just interested in the presentation of different photo groupings.

Caught between smugmug and zenfolio. Both look good.

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Fri 16-Nov-12 12:28 AM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 16-Nov-12 12:28 AM by BrianS

Longmeadow, US

I'll give another thumbs up for Zenfolio. Its where I host my client galleries. It seems like they are constantly adding new features as well. I can export to Zenfolio right out of Lightroom, via a plug-in.

Here's the link to my Zenfolio site.
http://briansullivan.zenfolio.com/

My galleries are a bit more geared towards weddings but they have many other customization options as well.

Best of luck with your decision.

~Brian
My Blog

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Tue 12-Mar-13 02:57 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Zenfolio Plug-in"
In response to Reply # 5

MD, US

I have never purchased or used a plug-in until now. I just bought the Zenfolio to LR plug-in and I have absolutely no idea how to get it so I can use it.

I see it in my downloads. I click it and it whisks itself off somewhere, but for the life of my I don't know where it goes!! I have tried dragging it to my desktop and then to LR, but that doesn't work either. One or twice (I have been working on this all night!) it opens my LR3 catalog and not my recently upgraded LR4. Even then, I can't see it. And it doesn't appear in my Plug-in Manager on my MAC.

I am so anxious to use it to download my images to my Zenfolio website. Can you offer some guidance?

Thanks,

Pat

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 12-Mar-13 02:42 PM
6797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Zenfolio Plug-in"
In response to Reply # 8

Philadelphia, US

This plugin allows you to export images from Lightroom directly to your Zenfolio account, which I assume you have. You really need to take your question to the Plug-ins: Nik, Imagenomic & Others Forum for the best assistance. Good luck.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

agitater Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 17-Nov-12 10:00 PM
4178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I've always like Photo.Net best. Have a look at:

http://photo.net/photos/agitater

I like the user interface, I like the forums, I like the huge database of information.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 18-Nov-12 11:47 PM
6797 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I use Smugmug primarily because of the customization, the presentation qualities, and the protection you can employ for the photos. Their online and phone assistance in helping you make your galleries look the way you desire is second to none. I have a pro account.

Which service is best for you has to do with your needs, and desire for what you want from the site. All the services have pluses and minuses according to you what you actually want. There is no single service which is best for all.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

spiritualized67 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Tue 12-Mar-13 03:59 PM
3178 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Western PA, US

I would second Smug. Based on my experience, I think Zenfolio is another good one.

In addition to the customization capability of Smug, they don't compress images on import - so I've found their image quality to most closely match what I see on my color-managed monitor when viewing raw files...and for me, that's priceless.

~Dan
www.danielstainer.com

largebore Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jan 2011Thu 14-Mar-13 11:30 AM
#11. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 10

Clarks Summit, US

>I would second Smug. Based on my experience, I think Zenfolio
>is another good one.
>
>In addition to the customization capability of Smug, they
>don't compress images on import - so I've found their image
>quality to most closely match what I see on my color-managed
>monitor when viewing raw files...and for me, that's
>priceless.
>
>~Dan
>www.danielstainer.com

Thanks I went with SMUGMUG and I am very happy with it.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 14-Mar-13 01:59 PM
#12. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 11

Philadelphia, US

Use it in good health Michael.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Fri 15-Mar-13 01:56 AM
1907 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Have been using SnugMug for many years and I am quite happy with this site.

Tristan

sulkyrob Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 09:31 AM
454 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 13

Doreen, AU

I have read in a discussion forum that services like Flickr strip out all your metadata which, of course, includes any embedded copyright information. Consequently when others look at your images on Flickr they don't see any protection or author information and may feel able to just use as they see fit.

Happy to be corrected by someone who knows if this is not true.

My solution is to have my own website - but that was both an intellectual exercise to see if I could (and obviously not to everyone's taste) and a vehicle to display my stuff!!

Rob Wyatt
A Nikonian from Melbourne, Australia

D300, Nikon 17-55, Nikon 70-200, and Nikon 200-400, SB600

My Website My Nikonians Gallery

Bass rock Registered since 21st Dec 2007Sat 16-Mar-13 09:13 AM
968 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: BEST ONLINE PHOTO SHARING SERVICE"
In response to Reply # 0

Scotland, UK

I will add PBase.com to the list of hosts to consider. It has an aspect of a social site to it, is so far as people can comment on pictures, but also is very flexible in how you can layout your galleries, slideshows etc.

My galleries as an example www.pbase.com/bassrock

Bill
North Berwick, Scotland

My Website - My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85331 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.