Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85310
View in linear mode

Subject: "How do you upload your images?" Previous topic | Next topic
FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 08:40 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How do you upload your images?"

GB

Hi Guys,
Having had some problems recently with a 'CHA' error on my D3s I have established it was my SanDisk Extreme III card at fault.
In order to gain more info on this problem I had read various threads on this forum about it which led me to this question...
Do you upload images to a computer/storage device from the camera via a cable or do you remove the card and put it in a card reader?
The reason I ask is because the repeated action of removing and inserting cards into a reader will surely make an error such as 'CHA' more likely than leaving it alone in the body and using a cable?
BTW - I aways re-format in-camera after each upload...

Your comments would be of interest...
Cheers

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How do you upload your images?
avm247 Moderator
11th Nov 2012
HBB Moderator
12th Nov 2012
prreid Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
FizzBang
12th Nov 2012
FizzBang
12th Nov 2012
HBB Moderator
12th Nov 2012
FizzBang
12th Nov 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
12th Nov 2012
FizzBang
12th Nov 2012
2pixels_short Gold Member
12th Nov 2012
gpoole Platinum Member
12th Nov 2012
FizzBang
13th Nov 2012
dhrphoto Silver Member
19th Nov 2012

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 11-Nov-12 10:36 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I'm not a big digital shooter, I certainly don't shoot as much as other members here, but I always download from from a CF card reader. I did have one card that failed (at work) on a D70s. But that card is pretty old and has been used for many years.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 12-Nov-12 12:39 AM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Nigel:

Welcome to Nikonians. I hope your time with us will be rewarding.

A few assorted comments/questions re your CHA error:

1) What is the capacity of the card, and how old is it?

2) How many folders have you created on the card?

3) Do you get the CHA error with other cards, or just this one?

4) Is is possible that the cable you are using is the problem?

5) Can you test the card in another camera, perhaps at your dealer?

6) When does the CHA error occur, when trying to access the reformatted card, or when trying to create a folder after downloading the images to your computer and then reformatting the card?

7) Yes, I always reformat the cards in-camera.

8) I have always removed the cards from my cameras, inserted them in a card reader connected to my desktop computer via a USB cable, and uploaded them into a prepared folder. In over ten years of doing this, I have never encountered the CHA error.

9) Is there dirt/dust in the holes in the card?

10) Is the CHA error constant or intermittent with this card?

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

prreid Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 01:33 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

I think you have been given some useful suggestions. The one I would piece of advice I would like to repeat is the recommendation to make sure it's not the camera. Others have reported this problem with the camera. The easiest way to test this is to take the "culprit" to a camera store (or a friend) and test it in another camera. Make sure to re-format the card in the test camera. If it is the camera , it's a factory repair. Good Luck!
prreid

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 10:12 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Hi all,

Your advice is greatly appreciated...

HBB - thank you for your questions. Here are my answers...

1) What is the capacity of the card, and how old is it? - The card is a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III 30MB's. I believe it is supported by the D3s?

2) How many folders have you created on the card? - I have only the one folder on it.

3) Do you get the CHA error with other cards, or just this one? - This is the only card that gives me the CHA error.

4) Is is possible that the cable you are using is the problem? - I am not using a cable at the time of the error. I see the error when I turn the camera on. The camera will not allow me to shoot.

5) Can you test the card in another camera, perhaps at your dealer? -Yes, I will test the card in another body however, the D3s takes two CF cards and the fault shows up in either slot so it is this that makes me think it is the card and not the body?

6) When does the CHA error occur, when trying to access the reformatted card, or when trying to create a folder after downloading the images to your computer and then reformatting the card? - It shows up when I turn the camera on. I have re-formatted the card in the slot but when I turn the camera on the CHA error is still there. It does sometimes go away but it soon comes back...

7) Yes, I always reformat the cards in-camera. - I have always done this to ensure total compatibility.

8) I have always removed the cards from my cameras, inserted them in a card reader connected to my desktop computer via a USB cable, and uploaded them into a prepared folder. In over ten years of doing this, I have never encountered the CHA error. Typically my luck! It's the first I have had though...

9) Is there dirt/dust in the holes in the card? - I can not see anything but this is what I think the problem may be? Either that or a bad connection on one of the pins? I have tried blowing them out with a rocket blower but no improvement...

10) Is the CHA error constant or intermittent with this card? - As mentioned before, it is intermittent but it probably spends more time in error 'mode' than not!

Hope this helps a bit. - Thanks HBB. I will try another body and let my dealer take a look at the body to be sure. I am off to Asia next month and dont want it playing up if I take it!!!

Regards

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 10:13 AM
#5. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

HBB,

Sorry, I forgot... The card is 8 months old...

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 12-Nov-12 04:06 PM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 5

Phoenix, US

Nigel:

Thanks for the added detail!

It appears you on the right track for a solution ... bad card. While rare for the Sandisk cards (assuming it is a genuine Sandisk card, and not a counterfeit) it does happen.

Let us know how things work out.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 04:34 PM
#10. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 8

GB

>Nigel:
>
>Thanks for the added detail!
>
>It appears you on the right track for a solution ... bad card.
> While rare for the Sandisk cards (assuming it is a genuine
>Sandisk card, and not a counterfeit) it does happen.
>
>Let us know how things work out.

Yes, I will check the viability of the card. It looks ok to me but I am no expert.
I am going to take the camera and card to my dealer and see what they make of it...

I will keep you posted.
I thank you for your effort with your input.

Regards

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 02:34 PM
1433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Nigel,

I asked this question a number of months ago after reading an article that stated that you should never upload via a usb cable. The feedback I received overwhelmingly stated that Nikonian users upload via card readers - either built into their pc's or card readers attached to a usb port on their pc's.

After all the feedback I discontinued using the usb cable and went exclusively to using the card in a mobile card reader and then upgraded my laptop and now read the cards in an in-computer card reader. I rotate 12 cards ranging from 8GB - 32GB and I've never had a card reading failure.

My guess is that you've got a bad card.

Tom

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 03:16 PM
#7. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Hi Tom,

Yes, I think you may be right.
Although I havent tried the suspect card in one of my other bodies yet, which I will do tonight, the CHA error does follow the suspect card when changing between the two CF slots on my D3s. That to me virtually eliminates the body?
My only thoughts were; surely by removing the card from the camera everytime I need to upload images is only adding wear and tear adding the potential for wear, damage or bending pins.
I have got a card reader but had previously uploaded from body to computer via cable to minimise the repeated removal/insertion...

I guess, like you, its time for change!?

2pixels_short Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2003Mon 12-Nov-12 04:33 PM
838 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Anchorage, US

I use a card reader for all my CF cards.

Mike in Alaska

Visit Fortymile Photo

gpoole Platinum Member Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Mon 12-Nov-12 08:27 PM
3501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Nov-12 08:29 PM by gpoole

Farmington Hills, US

I take the cards out of the camera and upload with a card reader. When I travel I also upload to a HyperDisk ColorSpace for a backup. This means that the card is inserted and removed 2 or 3 times for each set of pictures. I've done approx. 35K shots on my D300, 32K on my D4, and 7K on my D800 without any card problems. My oldest cards are now 5 years old.

I've never downloaded directly from any of my cameras.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D800e, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

FizzBang Registered since 08th Jul 2012Tue 13-Nov-12 02:15 PM
#12. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Thanks guys for you advice/help. Here is an update;

I tried the suspect card in one of my other bodies and the fault is still there. I therefore assumed it must be the card. All my other cards work fine in all bodies...

The online dealer who supplied the card refused to replace it. (In UK consumers have a statutory warranty for any product failing within 12 months).
I spoke with SanDisk UK who were very helpful. They have agreed to replace the card free of charge.... Now that's service to be proud of.

From now on I think I will heed your advice and take the cards out of the body to upload/backup.
gpool- I have a back-up device also; the Epson P7000 and have until now connected that to the body via the cable.
From what you are saying these cards should be robust enough to keep removing and reloading so I need to stop worrying about it and put this down to experience. Hopefully the rest of my cards and any futures ones will give me trouble free use...?

Thanks again guys and happy shooting!

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Mon 19-Nov-12 01:13 AM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How do you upload your images?"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

I have always left my cards in camera and used the supplied cable, then reformatted them. The only time I have taken them out is to do an update, the reason is because of the pins, and why should I take them out when it's not necessary?

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85310 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.