Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85290
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..." Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
Sat 10-Nov-12 03:46 AM by ZoneV

US

Mick's train track thread spurred me to post this for my 3000th post (thank you, nikonians!)

My first time shooting college basketball a couple of years ago:

Another shooter told me they sometimes will jump over you, and you should squeeze yourself into a ball and get as low as possible. Just my luck as a first-timer, it happened. but I decided to keep shooting until the last second intead of curling into a ball and tucking my head in.

And that was with a 15mm lens (on DX)...so you know he was as close as he looks. I basically did a heels-over-head backflip (think tuck and roll using momentum from your feet like you're a kid on a swing) onto my right shoulder (from a sitting position) a second after this was taken, in order to get out of the way before gravity did its thing...he was literally in mid-air a foot or two above me when I shot this. I actually have a whole series of him coming at me, but I won't post it online for various reasons. Should have seen the expression on these guys' faces in the shot before this as they were (yes, two of them) jumping up over where I was sitting, trying to reach for the ball as it went out of bounds. The full series could be used for some sort of ad, lol.

btw, the shot seen here was one of my famous "not looking through finder" shots that just seems to magically compose itself.

What have you done that was stupid but got you a cool shot? And be sure to post the shot!

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it...
dm1dave Administrator
09th Nov 2012
kennoll Gold Member
10th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
10th Nov 2012
MotoMannequin Moderator
13th Nov 2012
Clyde57 Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
flashdeadline Administrator
20th Nov 2012
olivierrychner Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
Allen A Hale
28th Nov 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 09-Nov-12 09:02 PM
11497 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Congratulations on your 3000 posts!

I like this shot. The underexposure and resulting noise give it a really cool graphic arts look. The overall composition works to keep the viewer engaged in the image.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

kennoll Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2011Sat 10-Nov-12 01:34 AM
801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Nice shot - and you lived to tell about it! I've often seen the collisions of players and photographers. Some fairly nasty.

Ken
Seattle, WA
My Gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 10-Nov-12 02:44 AM
26716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It wasn't totally stupid, but last time shooting at Virginia International Raceway, I was tracking a car as he came up to the top of the hill by the Oak Tree. Right at the apex of the corner, he wobbled, then overcorrected and slid off. I remember thinking "s**t, I can't focus that close" because I normally shoot with the focus limiter on. Did I mention that the focus limiter on this lens is set to "infinity to 20 meters?" Right about then the car hit the tyre barrier, probably still going about 25mph. It was NOT a small hit. I was standing about five feet back from the tyres. The tyres are big ones, two rows of the ones that were so controversial about five or six years ago. So he hit maybe a total of ten feet away. Going. Directly. At me. And until he bounced off I never realized just how close he was. In this case I had not only the tyres but also a guardrail and a tall chain link fence (I'll guess it's 15' high) - I was shooting through a cutout. It would have had to be one heck of a lot worse to really endanger me, perhaps if he'd been going 120 instead of 45, and he'd have gotten very airborne, perhaps he might have flown over the tyres and into the fencing hard enough to wrap it over onto me. I can't post the shot because I'm traveling and can't access those files, and anyway I'm not sure that I even kept it, since the last shot was so far inside minimum focus (ten feet, not twenty meters) that obviously it was WAY out of focus.

That was definitely a scary moment. Almost as bad as the GG1, actually. In both cases I had NO IDEA what was happening until after it had happened. For race fans, if you saw Alan McNish crash out of the 2011 24 Hours of LeMans, it was a miniature version of that - but with the addition of a big catch fence and the flying bits were much smaller. (Like this.)

----

Another one, frankly perhaps higher on the stupidity scale but probably in actuality less dangerous, was in 1986 shooting a steam excursion behind N&W J 611. During a runby, I had the camera on the ground, propped at the right angle with a couple of rocks, as close as I dared to the tracks. I'd say that was about eight or ten feet. Not having a radio remote like I have today, I triggered the camera (an FM2n) with a cable release. I was lying flat on the ground as far away as I could get - probably another two feet? Traditional cable releases are a lot shorter than, say, an MC-30 cord. It wasn't actually all that dangerous, I wasn't really THAT close to the tracks and I was also well below track level. I might actually have been further from the tracks than I was with the GG1, and lying flat on the ground was less likely to have been hit by anything accidentally extending from the train. Still, if something bad had happened - a derailment - it would have been ugly.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 09:09 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

There was this time I was setting up at Shell Beach on the Sonoma Coast, having pre-visualized a low frame of reference, ultra-wide angle, slow shutter shot of waves splashing in and through a bunch of little rocks at sunset. I wanted that misty look through the rocks from a very slow shutter. Last thing I remember, I released the shutter, then looked up to see a huge wave about to crash down on me. I grabbed the camera and lifted it up over my head, and got soaked up to my waist. Not too smart really, this area is known to kill with rogue waves and riptides. Luckily neither me nor my camera was harmed, although I did have to do the 90 minute drive home in soaked jeans.

And I got this shot:

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Sat 17-Nov-12 04:50 PM
517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

Wow, 3000 posts!

I don't think I've spoken that many times in seven years.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 10:07 PM
3988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

Havelock, US

During my work as a photojournalist in a small town I covered the annual Christmas parade. After the first year I was frustrated at the need to haul butt from one end of the parade to another looking for the prime shots. Frustrated and tired as heck. The next year I unveiled my special combat boots with roller skates attached. The skates are on what they call a "truck" -- I took off the roller wheels and replaced them with skateboard wheels. Those were real combat boots from my Marine Corps days. I drilled holes in the bottom to attach the truck and wore three pairs of thick socks to ease the pain from bolts in the bottom of my feet.

Now that I think about it-- that was a bit crazy.

Did the same thing for a few years. The bad part was those darn hard candies they would throw from the floats-- You hit a hard candy with skates and that is an instant brake. I spilled a few times and decided that was enough--
---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 06:16 PM
4949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 0

CH

I'm known to pack my camera in a hurry after a shot - and try to use it at the same settings for my next shot...

When I arrived at school (building in behind with the blue window frames), I decided to make a practice shot of the blower, everything sharp but the blown snow. Of course, I was so intent on framing that I completely forgot the f/25 and ISO 200 part! Strangely, I also got technically good pictures immediately afterwards, but I deleted them...

In the same vein, I was once taking pictures of two friends' wine shop in town. I was moving my tripod, carrying it over my shoulder, when I accidentally tripped the shutter cord I was toying with in my pocket. I noticed, and managed to keep the camera in the right direction. In post, I rotated the image (and lost quite a bit of it in the process) and played with saturation: my friends are really happy with this one, too:

Stupid enough?

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

Allen A Hale Registered since 26th May 2012Wed 28-Nov-12 01:52 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it..."
In response to Reply # 7

Udonthani, TH

I went to Cusco, Peru some years ago for what I called the trifecta - Feast of Corpus Christi, Intiraymi (Inca ceremony reenactment) and the Winter Solstace all within a few days of each other. I got up early on June 21 to catch the rising sun's rays on Temple of the Sun at Machu Picchu. I completed my first roll of film on my F3 and rerolled the film into the cannister. As I was rerolling the film I could not help but think how easy it felt - like hardly any effort at all. I suspected and developing the roll confirmed that the film had not been properly loaded to begin with. I am unable to share a shot - but you all understand.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85290 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.