nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it...

ZoneV

US
3523 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005
Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34 PM | edited Sat 10-Nov-12 03:46 AM by ZoneV

Mick's train track thread spurred me to post this for my 3000th post (thank you, nikonians!)

My first time shooting college basketball a couple of years ago:

Click on image to view larger version

Another shooter told me they sometimes will jump over you, and you should squeeze yourself into a ball and get as low as possible. Just my luck as a first-timer, it happened. but I decided to keep shooting until the last second intead of curling into a ball and tucking my head in.

And that was with a 15mm lens (on DX)...so you know he was as close as he looks. I basically did a heels-over-head backflip (think tuck and roll using momentum from your feet like you're a kid on a swing) onto my right shoulder (from a sitting position) a second after this was taken, in order to get out of the way before gravity did its thing...he was literally in mid-air a foot or two above me when I shot this. I actually have a whole series of him coming at me, but I won't post it online for various reasons. Should have seen the expression on these guys' faces in the shot before this as they were (yes, two of them) jumping up over where I was sitting, trying to reach for the ball as it went out of bounds. The full series could be used for some sort of ad, lol.

btw, the shot seen here was one of my famous "not looking through finder" shots that just seems to magically compose itself.

What have you done that was stupid but got you a cool shot? And be sure to post the shot!
Attachment #1, (jpg file)

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Stupid things we've done...and the shot to prove it...

G