Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85267
View in linear mode

Subject: "D700/D600/D3/which one" Previous topic | Next topic
fullautodave Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Fri 09-Nov-12 02:41 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D700/D600/D3/which one"

Rogers, US

I have a D7000 which I won't get rid of at this time anyway. I also a couple of years ago bought a F4. I have fallen in love with FX cameras because of the F4. Now that I want to add a digital FX camera to my collection I can't decide which one. I was sure I wanted a D700 but in doing a minimal amount of research I am not to sure. Here is my thought process, D800-probably the best but a little high for my budget. D700, lots of people brag on this camera and I can buy a good used in the $1500 range. I am not afraid of buying used. I see a D3 for sale for $2200, also used with fewer than 10,000 actuation's. And now the D600 for roughly $2000. D700 has a good rep and is a little cheaper than the rest but "older" technology I assume. D600, right in the middle price wise and brand new, but.....it is still cheaper than a new D700 so does that mean the D700 would be a better camera? Maybe better construction? The D3 is $700 more than the D700, is it worth the difference? I am not interested in video and I understand the differences in DX and FX in relationship to lenses. I am only a hobbyist but enjoy good equipment. I would use the camera for some close up, nature and landscape photography. Maybe someone could point out what I am missing before I make the plunge.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D700/D600/D3/which one
Escaladieu Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
avm247 Moderator
09th Nov 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
dclarhorn Moderator
10th Nov 2012
RockyIII Gold Member
11th Nov 2012
SonjaM Silver Member
16th Jan 2013

Escaladieu Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2010Fri 09-Nov-12 04:41 AM
655 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0

Artiguemy, FR

>I have a D7000 which I won't get rid of at this time anyway.
>I also a couple of years ago bought a F4. I have fallen in
>love with FX cameras because of the F4. Now that I want to add
>a digital FX camera to my collection I can't decide which one.
>I was sure I wanted a D700 but in doing a minimal amount of
>research I am not to sure. Here is my thought process,
>D800-probably the best but a little high for my budget. D700,
>lots of people brag on this camera and I can buy a good used
>in the $1500 range. I am not afraid of buying used. I see a D3
>for sale for $2200, also used with fewer than 10,000
>actuation's. And now the D600 for roughly $2000. D700 has a
>good rep and is a little cheaper than the rest but
>"older" technology I assume. D600, right in the
>middle price wise and brand new, but.....it is still cheaper
>than a new D700 so does that mean the D700 would be a better
>camera? Maybe better construction? The D3 is $700 more than
>the D700, is it worth the difference? I am not interested in
>video and I understand the differences in DX and FX in
>relationship to lenses. I am only a hobbyist but enjoy good
>equipment. I would use the camera for some close up, nature
>and landscape photography. Maybe someone could point out what
>I am missing before I make the plunge.

As an ex D700 owner, I can tell you that I'm noticing a BIG difference in the metering on the D800. Its a big improvement in high contrast situations. For me the upgrade was worth it just for this. I was constantly frustrated by the D700 over exposing when shooting landscapes.

I'm sure that the build quality of the D700 is superior to the D600 - but how robust does it need to be ? If you are a hobbyist you are not going to be using it in a war zone ...

My advice is to go for the D600 or D800, & preferably the D800, over the D700, even if this means waiting a while to save up the cash. You'll get better metering, better AF (D800) more dynamic range & more ability to crop. High ISO is better too, when images are downsized.

The D700 is a great camera but the technology is now dated.

Personal Blog
http://www.blog-jeff-holdgate.co.uk

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 09-Nov-12 06:11 AM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

For what you are shooting, D600. Best image quality right now in all of Nikonland save for the D800. Phenomenal camera for the money.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberFri 09-Nov-12 05:58 PM
18292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 09-Nov-12 05:59 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

I would use the camera for some close up, nature and landscape photography.

Any camera would help you here: D800, D600 or D700.

Remember the D800 and D600 are a generation ahead of the D700 and have increased the high ISO resolution/useability that the D700 had. The increase in MP means an increase in files sizes (so storage may be an issue) but it also allows for increase in the ability to crop images and maintain more detail - more pixels on subject - something I wish my D700 had.

If money were no object, between the three I would get the D800 hands down, no questions asked. If money were an issue, I would look at 1) feature set (is the D800 too much camera? is the D600 not enough camera? is the D700 too old?)...I would, between D800 and D600 give serious consideration to the D600 if money were tight...by most accounts, it is an FX D7000.

Personally, I have a D700 and have zero interest in upgrading right now to either a D800 or D600; the D700 does all I want/need it to do.

(Now if you are looking for a GREAT film camera, take a look at the F100...at current used prices its a STEAL!)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 09-Nov-12 08:34 PM
2885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

For value and performance I would go for the D600. The D700 is now dated but still a solid camera. But what the D700 has going for it is a history of solid performance and consistent high quality images. I put the D3 and the D700 in the same category with the D3 offering a pro body along with the build quality to go with it. Your choice.

Len

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Sat 10-Nov-12 03:21 PM
14174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

I've been using a D700 since it came out and it is a phenomenal camera. I will continue to use it, but if I was in your shoes and in the market for a new DLSR, I would go with a newer product. The D600 has plenty of resolution and the price is very attractive for the performance and feature set.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 04:29 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

The D600 is the perfect FX upgrade from a D7000. It is about the same size, and the buttons and menus are so similar that it is boring.

Rocky

SonjaM Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Wed 16-Jan-13 02:04 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D700/D600/D3/which one"
In response to Reply # 7

Jersey City, US

Dave, what did you end up getting?
I'm in a similar boat. A hobbyist, I have a D700 which I LOVE. but newer technology calls and as I learned with selling my D300 if you leave it too long the resale diminishes, even if the camera is like new.
So curious which you decided on and are you happy with your choice.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85267 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.