nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is the DSLR headed for extinction?

krf

Gainesville, US
754 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
krf Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 04-Nov-12 07:39 PM

In recent weeks I have read blogs from numerous professional photographers (mostly wedding and event photographers) who are migrating to mirrorless systems. Sony and Leica (if you can afford it) have the leading mirrorless bodies at this point (24 MP).

Nikon recently announced the release of the 14.2 MP Nikon 1 V2, which B&H is offering through pre-order. This camera offers most of the features of a pro-level DSLR, plus seamless transition bewteen still and video capture, and still frame rates of up to 60 fps. One of the 1 Nikon lenses offers a 3-speed motorized zoom optimized for video.

These cameras are designed to allow still capture while shooting video, 1080p video, and stereo sound to enable true multimedia capture from one camera. I know many "purists" will decry these hybrids in favor of dedicated still and video cameras. However, there seems to be a fast growing group of professionals who are developing a market for multimedia products.

I may have to rethink upgrading to the next generation DSLR and take a serious look at these new hybrids.

Kerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is the DSLR headed for extinction?

G