Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85003
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm" Previous topic | Next topic
DSW90049 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2012Sat 27-Oct-12 07:16 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"

Los Angeles, US

For those on the East Coast US and in the path of Hurricane Sandy, a/k/a Frankenstorm coming later this weekend and early next week, a British Friend and Birding Fiend sent me these links - apparently, freak monster storms make for great Birding, and I thought of those here on Nikonians who post those amazing birding pics.

http://birdcast.info/

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/hurricane-sandy

Not sure where to put this, so I started it here, but if Moderators believe it should be elsewhere, please move it.

Take full advantage of seeing rare and exotic birds where they are not supposed to be, but above all, BE SAFE AND DON'T TAKE CRAZY RISKS!! The forecasts for what may well prove to be a storm of unprecedented strength (Hurricane & Snow snow from Canada & Full Moon Tides = a really bizarre and dangerous mess!) should be taken SERIOUSLY.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm
Covey22 Moderator
28th Oct 2012
agitater Gold Member
28th Oct 2012
esantos Moderator
28th Oct 2012
dm1dave Administrator
28th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
SheriB Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
Matto Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
29th Oct 2012
Dallaspilot Gold Member
29th Oct 2012
Capriherb Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
31st Oct 2012
Sportymonk
30th Oct 2012
SheriB Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
30th Oct 2012
Reply message Chincoteague NWR
nrothschild Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Chincoteague NWR
snegron Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
30th Oct 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
30th Oct 2012
jordivb Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
30th Oct 2012
coolmom42 Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
01st Nov 2012
SheriB Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
jordivb Silver Member
30th Oct 2012
Totex Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
SheriB Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
Ned_L Moderator
31st Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
esantos Moderator
31st Oct 2012
Matto Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
flashdeadline Administrator
31st Oct 2012
archivue Gold Member
31st Oct 2012
Clyde57 Silver Member
01st Nov 2012
Ned_L Moderator
01st Nov 2012
Clyde57 Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
Sportymonk
02nd Nov 2012
Peterdan Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
Peterdan Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
Peterdan Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
Sportymonk
04th Nov 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 28-Oct-12 02:46 AM
10629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

God bless these folks. I once went around looking for storm surge photos and I later realized what an absolutely daft idea it was. I did get some nice shots but nothing worth risking life and limb for.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 28-Oct-12 01:22 PM
4069 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Unless a birder is being paid an absolute boatload of money and/or is engaged in important research to photograph birds escaping a major hurricane front, he needs his head examined if he's planning on braving the edge of a hurricane. One of the major problems is that a hurricane can rapidly overtake your position even though the meteorologists were predicting just five minutes before that it wasn't heading directly for you. When that happens, you will rapidly come to understand - as the storm envelopes your position - why it is always true that many storm chasers, and people who just want to see the giant coastal waves, and people who are so attached to their homes that they won't leave a path-direct zone, and foolish birders, often end up soaked, shivering, cut off and unable to escape the area (at best), or in a hospital or morgue at worst.

I think that going birding ahead of a hurricane front is literally no different from a little child running out from between parked cars into a busy street while chasing his ball. There are few such scenarios with a good outcome. Don't do it.

My Photo.Net Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 28-Oct-12 03:04 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

If you live in the projected path of a hurricane you may have a few days to seek out refuging birds. BUT, that is only if you plan to ride out the storm and you have a plan to survive it and you have adequate food, water, and supplies. Otherwise, if you plan to evacuate do not waste any time getting out of the area. Traffic will be slow and you may not get out in time. If you plan to ride it out your best strategy is to stay at your home with supplies and food to last you a few days. In the aftermath of a hurricane streets may be flooded fallen trees may be blocking your way and debris will be everywhere.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Oct-12 05:45 PM
11409 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

The fall out they describe will extend further inland (as far as Ohio and Michigan) then the heavy portion of the storm. The birding opportunities will also extend for some time after the storm passes as the birds make their way back to their normal territories.

So, you don’t necessarily need to get into the danger zone take advantage of the unique birding opportunities.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 03:24 AM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

Here in Philadelphia, the local John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge was closed this afternoon, and will not reopen until Tuesday at 7am at the earliest. We expect serious local flooding in the area. We are hoping the Refuge's dike holds (It overflowed and was badly damaged from Hurricane Irene.) as we raised it's height by about 3-3.5 feet in the last year, and repaired it with a $1M in donated fill and construction company services. We have wonderful corporate partners at the Refuge.

Near where I live, the Schuylkill River is expected to go over flood stage tomorrow. The winds here are already a sustained 15-20 mph, and gusts to 45 mph. Tomorrow winds are expected to be sustained at 50-60 mph for 24+ hours, and gusts during that time of 60-75 mph.

We'll see what actually happens.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Mon 29-Oct-12 04:56 PM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 29-Oct-12 04:58 PM by coolmom42

McEwen, US

Stay safe, Ned!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 05:06 PM
6619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 11

Philadelphia, US

Diane, thanks very much. So far our area is okay.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 04:08 AM
#6. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

I got this message emailed to me from Verizon. I'm still laughing at it.

"Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

In the event of extreme weather conditions associated with Hurricane Sandy, impacted areas could experience power outages which would make your High Speed Internet service unavailable.

For up-to-date information throughout the storm, please visit verizon.com/outage.

You can also visit verizon.com/repair for troubleshooting tips, instructions on how to restore your service, and open a trouble ticket if needed. In the event of an outage, we will do all that we can to restore your service as quickly as possible.

Please stay safe and thank you for being a Verizon customer.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team"

I'm sure everyone can see the essence of the "Theater of the Absurd" in the email.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Mon 29-Oct-12 10:02 AM
1667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 29-Oct-12 10:06 AM by SheriB

US

Yes I got the same one and thought about how many people with no common sense run the world we live in..I guess they assume everyone also has smart phones..They obviously assume we all have high speed internet. You would think they would at LEAST include a phone number to call to report outtages..They ARE a PHONE company.

Sheri Becker

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 12:33 PM
#8. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

I have a smartphone, and it's charged up, plus I have Mophie and Kensington charger products with which I travel, which I can use to keep my smartphone charged without access to a wall outlet or computer, for several days.

But even smartphones will go offline with wide spread power outages. The cell towers need power too. The FCC had required every cell tower have backup power lasting at least 8 hours, but the Bush administration knocked out the rule, saying it needed extra study. Well, apparently the study hasn't been completed, because no new rule, of which I'm aware, has been promulgated.

According to AT&T and Verizon, the vast majority of their cell phone towers have backup power, as many as 90% of them, however, most have power backups which can last only 2-8 hours. In high density population areas, apparently most will last up to 8 hours, and ones considered critical, longer, as they have diesel or other long term backup, not just battery backup. The trouble is, if the tower your phone can reach is out, you are too.

So, if the wind knocks out power for several days for some areas, smartphones will likely not work there either, until power is restored.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Mon 29-Oct-12 01:07 PM
621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 8

Glenwood, US

Another potential problem with cell phone service is the real possibility of your local tower getting overloaded with calls (or because people are using high bandwidth apps) in an emergency and every one is using cell service. I was working near the Pentagon when it was hit in 9/11. There was no way to get a cell connection (or land line either)for many hours. And arent't the cell towers also linked into land lines ar some point? Our local Verizon FIOS lines are underground, but I am sure that at some point they are carried on poles along with phone lines.

Matthew

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 02:51 PM
#10. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 9

Philadelphia, US

Yes, quite often, but they need power at the tower to work with the land lines.

When a call is made with a cell phone a radio signal is immediately sent to the antennae array of the cell tower to let it know the phone wants to establish a connection. The signal is routed, usually through fiber optic cables, to a wireless access point, where it is managed by a multi-port switch. The signal is then routed to a backhaul where signal data is is transmitted back and forth. Sometimes the cell towers are connected by landlines, in which the signal is sent through those cables, while at other times power microwave antennae broadcast the signal through the air. Short range wireless technology is also used in case of problems.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Mon 29-Oct-12 10:15 PM
246 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 10

Plano, US

Regarding your caution about the availability of cellular communications: For at least 3 days after hurricane Katrina, there was no detectible cellphone service from Baton Rouge to at least the Mississippi border due to a power outage that extended to 10 days for much of that territory. I know -- I was there and could keep a charge on my smartphone via the car.
I got some interesting photos post-storm, but the total absence of electicity, gasoline, and fast food, coupled with the blockage of roads and highways from downed trees, made it pretty trying even for those who were healthy and unhurt. I wouldn't want to rely on emergency services, either. They were busy handling the unprepared.

Capriherb Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jan 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 10:17 PM
286 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#28. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 30-Oct-12 10:18 PM by Capriherb

metro Columbus Area, US

Or the cell tower gets knocked around. The repeaters on the towers are aimed at a very precise angle and if that moves, cell service is knocked out for everyone on that tower.
The June 29 storm knocked my cell service (and internet) out for over a week. It took them that long to get to my cell tower and get the repeater back in service.
{edited}: I wanted to add that my heart goes out to everyone on the East Coast and the midwest. Luckily I just got rain, sleet, and wind.

Visit my Nikonians gallery or http://www.webs-best.com/CLP.htm.

Jennifer

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 12:52 AM
#29. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 28

Philadelphia, US

You're right and thanks Jennifer.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Tue 30-Oct-12 06:41 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 6

Rocky Mount, US

My wife and I have this old antiquated thing called a Princess Trimline phone. Obsolete, it plugs into the wall. Why do we keep it. Because when the power goes out, the phone still works!Landline phones get their power from the phone line not the electrical line. When the cordless phones are inop this one still works!!

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 30-Oct-12 09:13 AM
1667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 22

US

You are not the only one!! And considering without a land line I wouldn't have internet.....

Sheri Becker

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 30-Oct-12 11:48 AM
#26. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 22

Philadelphia, US

We have an electronic, wireless, multi-line phone system here, as I run my business from my office at home. Like you, we also have an old fashion phone which gets its power from our landline.

Fortunately, everything continues to work.

Thanks again to everyone for your good wishes. They were greatly appreciated. We really dodged a bullet at our home.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Mon 29-Oct-12 05:23 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "Chincoteague NWR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you are a birder it will be worth watching the events at Chincoteague NWR...

Here is a facebook album from a Maryland coastal news site, with a few images of Chincoteague. I've eaten many a pizza or burger at Mike's Famous, seen in one of the images.

Chincoteague NWR was in a very fragile state before this event. There is some serious interest by the govt agencies that run the refuge to basically shut down Tom's Cove beach and relocate the beach facilities.

The thrust of the problem is that the beach parking lot is moving west and running out of space as the ocean slowly claims the remaining beach. They have never replenished the beach and there is a strong interest in avoiding that, associated with the cost, among other things.

Most birders are not interested in the beach or the beach goers, especially near the summer season. But without that tourist beach there will be no beach road extending beyond the pony stables. That would mean the immediate end to access to the long berm running out to the beach. That according to park rangers that I've talked to the past year or so.

That is prime birding habitat. I've spent many days on that long berm.

Birders will want to keep an eye out for developments there. Would not surprise me if this storm accelerates events.

And, of course, wishing the best for the residents weathering this storm.

my Nikonians gallery.

snegron Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2007Mon 29-Oct-12 08:13 PM
1505 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Chincoteague NWR"
In response to Reply # 13

Cape Coral, Florida, US

Is it too late in my life to change my name?

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 30-Oct-12 12:59 AM
#17. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

We're in an expected lull of rain right now. It will pick up in a couple of hours, plus the wind, still around 35mph, will pick up to the 50's mph again then, with gusts to 75mph as well.

We've had a few flickers on our electricity, but still have power. Hopefully it will stay that way. My dad's power is out, but he decided to go to bed. If he still has no power tomorrow, but we do, I'll pick him up, and he'll stay here until he has power again.

Our nearby river, (1,000' from us) the Schuylkill, is now just a foot and a half below flood stage. We'll know what's going to happen at about 1:30am when the storm surge hits high tide. If we avoid flooding then we should be okay, as NOAA is predicting that the river height will hold then for the following 12 hours, then begin to recede. Fortunately, for us, our house is now predicted to be safe, but the fate of some nearby neighbors is still in doubt. Apparently what's saved us, is that in the Allegheny Mountains, it's snowing heavily, not raining. So instead of the rain heading right done the river, it will take its time melting and get to us slowly.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Tue 30-Oct-12 01:34 AM
3004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 17

McEwen, US

Thanks for the update, Ned. I've been thinking about you, along with my many friends & cow-workers in the Wilmington/Philadelphia area. Be careful if you go out tomorrow!

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 30-Oct-12 02:38 AM
#19. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 18

Philadelphia, US

Thanks. Will do.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 05:14 AM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 17

Manresa, ES

Thanks for the update!
I hope it doesn't hurt too badly and you and your neighbours stay safe.
Same for the rest of East Coast!

My best wishes

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 06:13 AM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

Ned and everyone affected.

We in the UK are watching the situation unfold on the east coast and are hoping you are all safe and the storm passes soon.

Richard.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 30-Oct-12 11:42 AM
#25. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 21

Philadelphia, US

We here in our location in Philadelphia are very lucky. Sandy is about 125 miles WNW of us. Its winds are down to about 60-65 mph.

We never lost power and the Schuylkill River will crest this afternoon, at high tide, at a couple inches under flood stage.

Many others, especially in New Jersey and New York were not so lucky. There will likely be billions of dollars in damage. Many have lost their homes, or have had serious damage to them, at the barrier islands of New Jersey, in particular. Lower Manhattan was hit hard too.

I'm off to get my father and bring him here in a few minutes. The electric repair crews are out now that the winds have calmed down a bit in our area. They're at 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph. It's still raining lightly and the winds should remain like they are until mid afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes. Please keep them going for others who haven't been so lucky.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Thu 01-Nov-12 01:09 AM
#39. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 25

McEwen, US

Ned....any word on how the Heinz wildlife refuge fared?

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 01-Nov-12 01:40 AM
#40. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 39

Philadelphia, US

Yes. It came out okay and it's open. We have some downed trees, but that happens regularly. Fortunately the dike improvements did the trick. Of course, it didn't hurt that the storm didn't hit us as hard as forecasters thought it might.

The storm brought in some rare birds for the Refuge. A Northern Shrike and Red Phalarope were both spotted this morning.

I expect that the Refuges and National Recreation areas on northern NJ, the NJ barrier islands and NY Harbor vicinities have severe damage, but we don't know yet. We can't get near them.

For example, Sandy Hook, Barnegat, Thompsons Beach, Heislerville, Reeds Beach, and Jamaica Bay could be in really bad shape.

Thanks for asking.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 30-Oct-12 09:22 AM
#24. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Well I still have power.Maybe being out for 4 and 5 days respectively with Irene and then the Oct snow last year made the electric company take down all the trees around the spot where our transformer is. from that point on it is all underground. Waiting for daylight to see how many trees I may have lost. I heard s few cracks last night, but who knows.Maybe I will be lucky and anything that came down will be in the woods and not across the driveway, fence or buildings.
Oh well..So who is in WV to show us some blizzard pics???

Sheri Becker

jordivb Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2009Tue 30-Oct-12 01:25 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 24

Manresa, ES

Hopefully those cracks don't translate into blocking trees or worse dammages.....

Jordi
-Barcelonian-

Totex Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2012Wed 31-Oct-12 02:04 AM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 27

Houston, Katy, US

To you brothers and sisters on the west coast, our prayers and best wishes are with you, hoping for a minimum set back due to the storm. Take care and hope your life's are back to normal ASAP!!!

Tony

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Wed 31-Oct-12 09:09 AM
#31. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 24

US

It seems my area somehow got through relativly unscathed even though the storm literally went right over us. Never lost electric, two dead trees up-rooted and down in areas that, they need to be moved, but I can wait until the rain stops.Other down or snapped , but in the woods. Maybe God realized that after last year we needed a break

Sheri Becker

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 11:19 AM
#32. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 31

Philadelphia, US

Happy you got the break.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 11:28 AM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Aftermath...

This is one of our neighbors.

Bucks, PA

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 01:55 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 33
Wed 31-Oct-12 03:32 PM by esantos

McAllen, US

Wow! This rarely happens with the trees here on the Texas coast where I live. The native trees have evolved to withstand hurricane force winds and the non-native trees are selected to have long roots systems so that they are deeply anchored to the ground. The only exception are the palm trees which have shallow roots but the trunks can sway in the wind a tremendous amount without breaking.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Wed 31-Oct-12 02:55 PM
621 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 34

Glenwood, US

Only one tree got blown over in my whole neighborhood of about 75 homes in Howard County, MD. It fell on the power line feeding us just two poles before the lines go underground! We have been out of power since 6 PM Monday, but I got a standby generator three years ago and we have essential electric services. This is the third time we have been out for multiple days since I got the generater. The power company won't trim trees that aren't along roadside power lines. Our lone is on poles that go though about 400 feet of trees to short cut a curve in the road and shorten the power line. They only go in those trees to fix downed lines, and never trim the rest of the trees.

Matthew

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 04:04 PM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 35

US

In fact, this is our very next neighbor, who had tremendous damages. Three trees came down: one in front of the house (huge maple) dragged power lane, second one (one further out in the photo - black walnut) crashed house next to the neighbor and the third one (close one on photo, apple) crashed their tool shed.

I was shooting for their insurance claims.

Only one good thing is the electric company came and put back the power in 24h because they put us in the priority due to their torn out power line.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 05:08 PM
3985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 36

Havelock, US

Your images of hurricane damage used to assist a neighbor with insurance claims is an excellent idea.
For those of our members looking to help in such a manner (hopefully you have survived somewhat intact and still with working gear) this might be a very valuable assist you can provide. In times of crisis everyone looks for some way to pitch in. They provide food, water, gasoline for generators and what ever else they can spare.
I'm suggesting for those of you who want to provide a very important service often neglected--remember that you are a Nikonians photographer and you have the skills, gear and talent to help your neighbors with insurance documentary images.Your help could equal a tremendous amount of insurance claim money.
When Hurricane Irene trashed our house last year (tree crashed into our roof) I documented the damage as a routine, and was surprised to find how much my images helped in filing my insurance claim.

As a tip-- if you have a photo of a hole-- or a branch-- there is no size comparison. You need to have a reference, much like the CSI photographers when they lay down a ruler next to an object.

I was on top of my roof getting shots of one hole and realized I had no reference. Knowing US paper money has a certain length I asked my son if he had any dollar bills. Got a bit of a surprise when he pulled out a a few 20's.

Also-- avoid using wide-angle prime lenses or zooms at the widest zoom. You do not want an image that looks distorted.

Double check your camera settings to make sure you have correct date and time noted in camera memory-- the EXIF will show that information and that EXIF may be important in case of legal disputes.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

archivue Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Mar 2002Wed 31-Oct-12 09:39 PM
5471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 37

Paris, FR

Very right (and generous )!
Of course, depending on damage size, you might find other references before breaking the family piggy bank

Usually classical printing paper (A4 here, maybe something else in your home office), or even the good old ruled yellow block or for smaller objects or hits, the block with small squares (5mm x 5mm) that we often use on works, as precise as a real ruler !
Those paper can be folded, keeping one of the main dimension, to visualize depth (as in hole 5)...
The point is to have a reference for size

Jacques

"Un photographe, finalement, c'est quelqu'un comme les autres, mais qui prend des photos." - Man Ray
My Gallery...
My Other Gallery...

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Thu 01-Nov-12 05:31 AM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0

Punta Gorda, US

I just got my electricity back from Sandy - a lot sooner than the estimated seven to ten days. I'm about twelve miles in from the coast so I didn't have the devestation some people are experiencing. We just had some trees and electrical wires down and blown away roof shingles.

Time without electricity seems like an eternity. Did the D400 come out while I was cut off from the world?

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberThu 01-Nov-12 09:53 AM
#42. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 41

Philadelphia, US

Clyde, happy to hear your power is back. Wow you have been off grid for a long time guy. The D400 was out, and is now retired. We're waiting for the announcement of the D500 any day now. (LOL)

By the way, in case you missed it, the announcement of the D5200 looks like it will be next week, according to Nikon Rumors. (This one is for real.)

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Clyde57 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Sep 2007Fri 02-Nov-12 07:09 AM
513 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 42

Punta Gorda, US

>Wow you have been
>off grid for a long time guy. The D400 was out, and is now
>retired. We're waiting for the announcement of the D500 any
>day now. (LOL)
>

Wow, I hopw I can get one of those before the lights go out again.

Clyde

Take a look at my nikonians gallery.

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Sun 04-Nov-12 01:24 PM
10910 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#47. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 42

US

Allow me to recap...

Last year Nikon announced new cameras but no one could buy them because Thailand was flooded out. After they could finally buy them no one could afford to store the huge new raw files because disk drive prices were still tripled.

This year we will be treated to a new D5200 but no one in the Northeast will be able to charge their batteries, unless they own a generator. And can find gas to run the generator.

We live in interesting times...

my Nikonians gallery.

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Fri 02-Nov-12 01:06 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#44. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 02-Nov-12 01:06 PM by Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US

To those in the NY area - FYI

Power Up for FREE at Adorama!

Adorama is happy to announce that we have reopened and want to do whatever we can to help ease your recovery. Many New Yorkers are blacked out, so today and tomorrow on 18th between 5th & 6th, we have set up high-powered charging stations for FREE usage. We invite you to come down with your phones and electronics and charge all your devices at our stations for FREE. This is a free public service for all of New York. Adorama – the official retailer of the NY Giants – is located on 18th Street between 5th & 6th Avenue. We wish you and your loved ones a very safe recovery after the storm.

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 12:52 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 44

Lebanon, US

Ha ha people with out power still like me.
Some have no food and water.
Most lickly over 100+ dead.
Just spent $3000.00 on a generator.
No D400 or any Nikon gear form.
Have a great day.

I am not a number. I am a free man!

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 01:11 PM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#46. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 45

Lebanon, US

Almost forgot.
Where I work has been closed since Monday, in a part of NJ that was badly hit.
Did not receive my direct deposit. Work could not transmit the payroll data.
My direct supervisor doesn't know what is going on.
And to top it off on Thursday I sliced my thumb open and needed
Stitches.
Not to be mean but enjoy your photo taking.

Peterdan Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 06:32 PM
#48. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 46

Lebanon, US

Thanks for all your hart felt thoughts.
NOT!

Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 08:41 PM
#49. "RE: Hurricane Sandy - Frankenstorm"
In response to Reply # 48

Rocky Mount, US

I believe some of us have tried to express our sympathies. I posted about the Adorama so people could get small things like phones recharged. It is hard for people not there to fully understand the impact in all aspects of the event. When Hurricane Floyd flooded Greenville - Tarboro and the region, Raleigh just 75 miles away was high and dry. I evacuated my family from Greenville to Raleigh due to lack of water and electricity. When I arrived at a hotel in Raleigh, it was sunny and bright and they acted like nothing was wrong. Little did they know.

Again, it is hard to empathize when you are in the midst of it. I think most if not all of us here feel for you and the others.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #85003 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.