nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Stolen Nikon D4 and other equipment

IvanG

Boca Raton, US
25 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
IvanG Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Apr 2006
Sun 21-Oct-12 07:57 PM | edited Mon 22-Oct-12 12:24 AM by IvanG

Not sure if this is the correct location to post this - if not please relocate it to the appropriate location.

I'm looking for some guidance on possible courses of action.

The scenario is as follows:
On a Delta Airlines flight from Jackson Wyoming to Fort Lauderdale, via Salt Lake City and JFK returning from summit photography workshop.The flight from Jackson to Salt Lake City arrived late. On the Salt Lake City /JFK flight “due to lack of space” I was forced to check my camera bag (Think Tank Airport V2.0), even though I indicated to the flight attendants on board that the bag contained in excess of $20,000 worth of camera gear (actually $22,800). I also asked whether it would be possible to store it in the closet on board. In both cases the answer was negative and the bag had to be checked - by the way the bag has a TSA compliant lock, which was closed and locked at this point . I asked to put a fragile sticker on it, as I now was told I had no choice, I was assured it would be handled carefully. The flight attendant returned with check ticket stub indicating the bag had been checked all the way through to Fort Lauderdale and that I could pick it up at Baggage claim. To cut a long story short the bag didn't make my flight to FLL.
As per procedure I then filed the appropriate missing bag scenario at FLL - with a request to ensure that it was on the next flight out of JFK. It didn't make the next flight that night. In fact it never made the following two flights either. After numerous calls to the lost baggage 1 800 number ( which by the way is absolutely bloody useless in cases like this), we finally managed to get the number of the Delta baggage office in JFK - where after much ado it was indicated that the bag would be put on a direct flight later that afternoon (Saturday 10/2012) and arrive in FLL that evening.
Apparently against standard operating procedure the bag came in on the usual baggage conveyor belt, rather than being hand carried into the baggage claim office. Immediately upon retrieving the bag, I knew something was not right - It was lighter than I recalled after carrying it so many miles over the past month. I took the bag to the Baggage claim office and proceeded to Unlock and open it in front of the same attendant that had taken my missing bag report the night before. Upon opening the bag - it was in a chaotic state. My 24- 70 mm lens was just lying loose in the bag, lens caps were strewn inside the bag, My Rugged LaCie hard drive (with my >10,000 images from the past Months expedition - had large dents in the casing, the flash card carrying case was buckled due to maltreatment of some kind. At that point I indicated to the attendant who was witnessing this real time that my Brand new (5 week old) Nikon D4 body was missing along with the Nikkor AFS 14-24mm F2.8 Lens and the SB 900 Flash. In addition my 200mm F4 Macro lens has the lens cap "rammed" into the lens barrel - until now I have not been able to determine whether or not the actual lens itself has been damaged as I cannot remove the cap and do not want to forcibly remove until I have some guidance on the next course of action. My 1.4 Teleconverter had both front and rear caps missing and nicely tucked back into its pouch.
Based on the way I presume my bag was mishandled - I gather I will have to send the remaining lenses into Nikon to evaluate any potential damage along with the associated costs
The damage claim(for missing equipment) has been filed with Delta (no response yet), they also indicated that in their view this could have only been perpetrated by TSA staff member(s) and as such I should also file a claim with TSA.
I'm not sure that as a lone voice in the wilderness that I'll get very far with this - does anyone know of a similar set of circumstances and what would be the appropriate course of action to recover the losses?
In addition is anyone aware of effective sites where stolen equipment serial numbers could be posted in order to try and track down the thief

Below is a list of the missing and known damaged equipment
Missing
1. Nikon D4 Camera Body – Serial number 2027800
a. Sony XQD 32 gigabyte memory card
b. SanDisk 32 gigabyte Flash Memory card
2. Nikon Flash SB-900 - Serial number 2233754
3 AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED - Serial number L202200

After inspection of the remaining lenses in the bag – the following were found to be damaged

Damaged

1. AF Micro-NIKKOR 200mm f/4D IF-ED –Lens cap has been pushed into the lens & cannot be removed - Serial number us300545 -
(We have not tried to forcibly remove the lens cap just in case we inflict further damage – lens is available for inspection – see photographs).

As indicated above this is the known damaged equipment – but there were additional lenses in the bag.
• Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
• Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
• Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED
• Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED
• Nikon AF VR Zoom-NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED
• Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED DX Fisheye Nikkor

These lenses do not appear to be damaged – they seem to focus and relay the metering info okay – but I have no way of knowing whether or not the lenses are as sharp as they used to be – any recommendations here.

Any advice / assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ivan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Stolen Nikon D4 and other equipment

G