Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #837
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shutter time..." Previous topic | Next topic
avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 28-Dec-00 10:40 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shutter time..."

Rancho Cordova, US

So here's are some questions for all Nikonians:

How many of you are amatuers with 9-5 jobs (or longer) with busy schedules?

And realstically, how often do you get to go out and take pictures?

How many of you always have a camera with you?

Just wondering. Personally, I don't have near enough time to do the things that I want to do. It seems as if there just isn't enough time of day to go out and shoot: I work as a designer for the state (and hope to be a licensed architect by April when I turn 30) and spend my days in front of a computer (and probably way too much time here) and nights with my seven month old and studying for licensure and weekends are a blur. Oh yeah, my wife isn't big on photography and is always wondering why she is rarely in the picture.

Oh well, just wondering what everyone else does.

BTW, Happy New Year to all, may the upcoming year be even better!
Anthony

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shutter time...
f5fstop
29th Dec 2000
DaveDosch
29th Dec 2000
f5fstop
29th Dec 2000
jnscbl
30th Dec 2000
f5fstop
30th Dec 2000
jnscbl
30th Dec 2000
                    Reply message Oh no! More Y2K+1 stuff?
DaveDosch
30th Dec 2000
frankie
29th Dec 2000
AlanC
31st Dec 2000
jnscbl
31st Dec 2000
AlanC
31st Dec 2000
frankie
31st Dec 2000
AlanC
31st Dec 2000
frankie
01st Jan 2001
Newsphotog
08th Jan 2001
frankie
08th Jan 2001
Newsphotog
08th Jan 2001
bbleigh
08th Jan 2001
frankie
08th Jan 2001
frankie
08th Jan 2001
Newsphotog
12th Jan 2001
frankie
17th Jan 2001
Newsphotog
25th Jan 2001
Newsphotog
25th Jan 2001
kdsmithjr
08th Jan 2001
jrp Administrator
08th Jan 2001
avm247 Moderator
09th Jan 2001
Merlin
17th Jan 2001
avm247 Moderator
17th Jan 2001
Merlin
17th Jan 2001
frankie
17th Jan 2001
jstream
19th Jan 2001

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberFri 29-Dec-00 12:23 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 0

Private, UM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-00 AT 02:29 AM (GMT)

>How many of you are amatuers
>with 9-5 jobs (or longer)
>with busy schedules?

I prefer the term advance or experienced amatuer since I have sold many photos. However, I do have a job, but the job is a lot longer than 9-5. As for schedules, except for work, I set my own schedule. Being divorced and kids living in different states, I pretty much have my time to myself. However, along with photography there is a sports car being built in the garage (engine/trans anyway, body work will be by someone else), setting up my own website, sufing the web, and doing other things as any red blooded all american divorced man will do.
>
>And realstically, how often do you
>get to go out and
>take pictures?

Almost anytime I want. However, a lot depends on the weather. I'm not a cold-weather person anymore. Guess I'm getting too old.
>
>How many of you always have
>a camera with you?

Not as much as I should. Used to carry a camera on all business trips, but I was usually too busy to get any photos anyway. A few times I could kick myself for not having a camera with me. Missed some good landscape/sunset shots, and a few possible future blackmail photos as well in the local bars. }>
>
>Just wondering. Personally, I don't
>have near enough time to
>do the things that I
>want to do. It
>seems as if there just
>isn't enough time of day
>to go out and shoot:
> I work as a
>designer for the state (and
>hope to be a licensed
>architect by April when I
>turn 30) and spend my
>days in front of a
>computer (and probably way too
>much time here) and nights
>with my seven month old
>and studying for licensure and
>weekends are a blur.
>Oh yeah, my wife isn't
>big on photography and is
>always wondering why she is
>rarely in the picture.

Know what you are going through, especially with a seven-month old. Having three boys, I remember those days well. It was worth it, but having three children can be very time consuming and you don't want to miss watching them grow up, since they grow up awful fast. I was lucky, when I had my first child I was already licensed, and had graduated with enough degrees that I knew I would never go back to college again in this lifetime. In those younger years I didn't use the cameras as much as I should have for photos of things other than the boys. Having the kids, a wife going to college to get her masters and a Pro Rally car to drive, along with my new career, I was kept quite busy. And yes, my ex wife was not into photography, but she never wanted to be in the photo.
>
>Oh well, just wondering what everyone
>else does.
>
>BTW, Happy New Year to all,
>may the upcoming year be
>even better!
>Anthony

And Happy New Year to you too.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

DaveDosch Basic MemberFri 29-Dec-00 01:04 AM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

I work my 40+ hours a week for the US Federal Aviation Administration. One of the few advantages of this is that I can work an alternate work schedule of four 10 hour days. Usually. When I'm not stuck working midnights, weekends or 70 hour work weeks... As a single person with no life, I am free to spend my time and money on my hobbies without having to justify myself to anyone else. I can go into debt buying a new dive computer or lens without having to answer to anyone except the credit card companies.

This gives me free time to take photographs, and I have a camera with me almost always. Lately I've been carrying my new Fuji GA645Zi in my briefcase, and the Rollei P&S that used to be there is stuffed in the center console of my truck. I gave my Olympus Stylus Epic to my brother because I wanted him to have a good, yet cheap, camera. I regret buying the Rollei instead of just replacing the Olympus, the Olympus Epic Stylus was a much nicer camera with a better lens and better exposure control. I also have both the Canon and Minolta water resistant cameras. Note: I said water resistant, because they're not water proof. My original Minolta rolled over and played dead when my Dad drip one drop of salt water into it while changing film and the P.o.S. Canon flooded at 11 feet. I know that it was at 11 feet since the hand that was holding the camera also had a Citizen Hyperaqualand on it's wrist. Not quite the 16ft that it was supposed to be rated for. For underwater I have (had?) the Ikelite Hypershot disposable camera case and the Sea&Sea MX-10. I just bought a Nikonos, so I now can get rid of all these. And of course, any time I think that I might be going somewhere that would be photogenic, I take all my Nikon gear with me.

I try to use my cameras whenever possible. I go through 2 to 10 rolls of film a week. And along the way I actually manage (in my opinion) to take one or two half decent shots. This doesn't even take into account vacations. On average, I take a little less then 3 rolls a day on vacation plus a half hour of video. It's taken me a long time figure it out, but the secret to taking good pictures is to take a lot of photographs. Think about every photograph and try to use everything that you've learned about photography and about a half actually turn out OK, about a quarter of those are good, and about a sixth of those look really good, the way you planned them. I thought that as I get better, these numbers would get better. But it turns out that your standards of excellence keep getting higher as you get better. Sigh... But at least people start wanting to, and asking to, look at your new photo albums and videos. And asking you to come and take pictures for and of them. Of course then you end up having to get doubles, triples or even quads of every roll. But when your friends and family ask you for negatives to get enlargement, you can "procrastinate" giving them the negatives and give them nice photos that you know they will enjoy for Xmas or whatever. When my friends ask me for negatives to make 5x7 or 8x10 enlargments to display, I usually try to hold onto the nicest negative to to give as a gift. A down side is at weddings, when you end up with pictures better then the paid photographer took. Then the couple will feel like they were cheated. I make it a point these days to (usually) only do video at weddings or at least to take pictures from perspectives and angles that the professional won't get to. It helps if you talk to the paid pro before hand. Video is also better at receptions. The still camera just can't capture the same nuances of drunken stupidity.

Happy New Year and New Millenium,
Dave

P.S. It's not that I'm one of these millenium 2000 vs. 2001 nuts, but I'm going to celebrate the new millenium this year since I had to work last New Years Eve for "Y2K preparedness".

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberFri 29-Dec-00 10:49 PM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 2

Private, UM

Relieved to see someone else appreciates that the factual millennium commences in three days. It is unproblematic to empathize why most people assumed the millennium occurred this year due to the congenial even number (2000) and all the Y2K hyperbole. However, mathematically it is impossible in view of the fact that there was never a year zero; the first year commenced with one. Therefore, 1 plus 2000 equals 2001.
(Now the only question that remains is, should Millennium be spelled with two N's or one? I have seen it spelled both ways, and according to two different dictionaries, it is correct both ways. Any English majors around???? )

Good luck and happy new millennium to you too.

Doug

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 30-Dec-00 03:51 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Whether or not there was a Year Zero is a moot point. For the vast majority of people, the moment that December 31, 1999 became January 1, 2000 was the moment that the most significant digit changed. Ergo, a new millennium. I don't think there was ever a year one, either. Can you imagine an advertisement of the period: "No interest due till March,2!"
But as to the spelling of millennium...Remember the short-lived TV show Millennium created by Chris Carter of X-Files fame? Well, I had never really thought about how to spell the word until TV Guide did a story on the new program, and in a sidebar the correct spelling was explained along with some examples of it's use (and frequent misspellings) as a proper name. Ever since I read that article, I have remembered that millennium is spelled with two l's and 2 n's. So there you have it--one of your dictionaries is wrong.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberSat 30-Dec-00 01:34 PM
#6. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 5

Private, UM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-30-00 AT 03:38 PM (GMT)

Believe me, there was a year 1 however, did people call it a year one during this time...probably not. The calendar we all use was developed many, many years later. However, all calendars make a reference to the year one; both AD an BC. Now, regarding the printed ads, I don't really believe there were any in the year one that advertised no interest till March, 2. There was no March then. (NOTE: Knowing about a year 1 does not come from personal experience, just from studying history.)

Now, I ask another question. Can TV Guide be wrong, and the dictionary be correct? (I know dictionaries can be inaccurate at times.)

I have also learned over the years that most people actually believe and swear by what the TV news tells them. Not that the news channels and papers are always wrong, it's just that they are not always right. What really surprises me is the news stations are not hyping this as the turn of the millennium so their ratings would increase.

I have seen a few "true new Millennium" celebrations advertised this year. But then again, these places will advertiseto make a buck.

Have a great day...

Doug

jnscbl Basic MemberSat 30-Dec-00 02:18 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 6

US

Doug, it looks like you and I both have time to be out taking pictures (original question) but are wasting it like this. There are photo ops 24 hours a day But that's beside the point. The millenium issue causes inner turmoil as well as dispute between individuals. Of course, the most vocal proponents of the year 2000 millennium are the Christian fundamentalists for whom these trivialities matter greatly. I have a brother-in-law who is both a computer professional and religious radical. Like you, he has logically concluded that 2001 is the actual first year of the new millennium. However, it was last year that he and his family prepared for the end-of-civilization-as-we-know-it. Perhaps a case of "do as I say, not as I do." I hope his personality schism doesn't manifest itself on the job, maybe by his becoming an author of beneficial viruses. Computer programmers are already notorious for knowing better than the user what the user wants/needs, whether the user likes it or not. That professional ethic would mesh rather well, unfortunately, with his personal beliefs
And, I do hope you were aware of my social satire in the reference to TV Guide. I have not only a 1987 Webster's New World, but a 1960 Webster's Collegiate, as well, and both spell millennium only one way. Maybe you have seen an alternate spelling in a modern "new millennium" dictionary, which rationalizes misspellings with the theory that it is not how you spell the word that matters, but what your feelings are when you use it ---scott}>

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

DaveDosch Basic MemberSat 30-Dec-00 04:06 PM
453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "Oh no! More Y2K+1 stuff?"
In response to Reply # 7

San Diego, US

Well, actually I spelled millennium as "millenium" because I'm a horible speler witout a spelsheker.

How are you spending your New Years? I'm planning to go out to the Anza-Borrego desert, take some photographs and hopefully catch the sun coming up over the Salton sea. Start the new year off with some "shutter time".

DaveDosch
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles.

frankie Basic MemberFri 29-Dec-00 04:29 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I'm fresh out of Uni, with a BA (Ever seen the commercial where the guy has a BA and is washing windows for a living? That nearly happenned to me)... Anyway, I work full time designing database and linux based applications for the leasing profession.

I bring my camera to work nearly every day. Occasionally the guys ham it up for me (great way to fiddle about with the 17mm Tokina...) and on my lunch I drop in here and run around the building/area with my camera...

Now that I've been single for the last 6 month I've had much more time to relax and try all sorts of photographic stuff that I wouldn't have been able to before because of time...

I take A LOT of pics... I usually go through a roll of 36 exp print film a week - occasionally sticking in a roll of transparency film too...That means when I'm not working I've almost always got the camera up to my face.... And with a face like mine, that's a good thing <laugh>...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

AlanC Basic MemberSun 31-Dec-00 02:57 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 3

GB

36 pictures a week is a lot?!?

You want to go digital my friend. I often go through 100 or more in a day...

Not that I'm doing that at the moment. It's dark when I leave for work on a morning and dark by the time I get home on an evening, and with sunset currently around 3:50pm it's not easy to do anything at weekends either.

Longing for spring and summer,

Alan.

jnscbl Basic MemberSun 31-Dec-00 03:34 PM
#10. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 9

US

Alan--
can digital cameras do time exposures? I was thinking you ought to try "painting with light" using repeated bursts with a handheld flash using the test button, since you apparently live in perpetual darkness. You are probably jaded by your native surroundings, but those of us in the States, Southwest particularly, find your environs quite gothic and enchanting. ---scott

--scott

Pablo Picasso

AlanC Basic MemberSun 31-Dec-00 06:58 PM
2700 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Scott,

You've hit on one of the snags with digital there: the longer you keep the CCD active the more the background noise builds up. The D1 is actually surprisingly good in this respect: at ISO 200 shots of 10 to 15 seconds are decently clean, but by the time you get up to 30 seconds you're in trouble.

Whenever anyone mentions "Painting with light" I can't help thinking of a super example on www.photocritique.net - which unfortunately I can't post a link to because there's a colon-P sequence in it which turns into a - but if you go there and look in the list of photographers for "John Hazard" and then find "Steven King's Lawn Guy"... Have a look at the rest of this man's shots, too: he's taken some brilliantly crazy pictures.

Alan.

frankie Basic MemberSun 31-Dec-00 05:35 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 9

I would gladly take more... At one point when not working and still in Uni, I'd take about 4-5 rolls per weekend all over the city.

At the moment I'm saving up for the big purchase... a nifty Honda CR-V in british-racing-car green...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

AlanC Basic MemberSun 31-Dec-00 06:18 PM
#12. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 11

GB

Very nice - I rather fancy one of those myself, but my big purchase was the D1 and lenses so my six year old Honda Civic will have to keep going for a while yet....

Alan.

frankie Basic MemberMon 01-Jan-01 03:12 PM
#14. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 12

Well, I'm buying the CRV for it's fuel-efficiency, hopefully to save some money in the long run which wouldn't be so buying one of those Ford or Mazda SUV's... that way I'll have more money for photo stuff...

See, there is a method to my madness...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Newsphotog Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 02:09 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 14

Toronto, CA

I'll add my personal remedy for getting in shutter time.

I have a 9-5 job, strictly 9-5 so when 5:01 hits, I'm out the door or they're locking me in. That's a good thing because I've found a way to get out to shoot, and build up on my photojournalistic skills. Living in a big city like Toronto, Canada gives opportunity to freelance as a photographer and hit a good job every once in a while. I am out after work for about 4-6 hours at night covering the "the beat on the street" to submit to local news agencies that take freelance photo work. It can be a dog eat dog world when it comes to photographers in the media. It a matter of racing(literally) to a scene to nab the photo that everyone else might not get. That makes it "sellable" over a photographer's picture that might have been sent by the paper(s).
However, I don't have the luxury of having D1's with all of the latest Nikkors on my back to compete with. I struggle along with my F100 & F90X with a couple of Sigma EX wide angles and my Nikon 80-200 workhorse.
So, do I get to shoot much? I have made it a part time job, though it doesn't pay much....of anything for weeks at a time, it builds my experience, the contacts in the big papers for a real news job and possibly a portfolio that can only be compared to a veteran that has been doing it for years.
When my photo get's published in a paper, it reaches 300,000 people a day. That's gratifying to know that my work pays off once in a while and people can see the results of my work.

And to answer the questions if I always have a camera with me...I wouldn't be able to call myself a news photographer if I didn't have a camera loaded with lenses and film if I didn't. I take my camera bag loaded with equipment into the office everyday in our cold winters and hot summers to protect my equipment from the elements. Once I get into my car, I have to be ready to shoot. My scanners are going when I turn the car on, I have to be ready.

My wife is VERY forgiving and patient when I don't come home for dinner for nights on end or when I have to go do a shoot for a paper on the weekend. Not exactly the single life to buy all of your equipment and have no worries, but it's the next best thing...Except that I'd probably be in debt for $10,000 in digital equipment if it weren't for her keeping me grounded!

John

P.S. - I asked local professional photographers how to get started and they suggested that I contact local community papers that always need photos because of limited resources or funds.
Try it, you might find someone that would like to see your work and publish it once in a while.

John
Toronto, Canada

www.sportsshooter.com/johnriddell
www.torontofirephotos.ca

frankie Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 04:09 PM
#16. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 15

Hey, a fellow Torontonian...Groovy...

You're lucky you have time to chase the photo-dollars.. some of us in TO are not quite as lucky.. (like me, where I keep driving by interesting stuff when I DON'T have my camera ready....)

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Newsphotog Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 06:04 PM
2562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 16

Toronto, CA

Frankie,

If I get the right impression from your past posts, your in the Barrie area? A nice sunset picture or people at the Bay make a nice photo, try calling the Examiner to see if they need pics.
They often look to publish scenes of everyday life to fill in the areas around the ads!

I make the time to go out and do the freelance stuff. I have the police radios and go for the juicy stuff. A week can go by of waiting at night until midnight all week without something good happening. Newspapers are becoming more and more picky about what they publish when it comes to "breaking news" like fires and car accidents. Like we don't have enough negative press from across the world to fill the pages.

The Toronto Star is a good source for very creative photos to look at. They have a top notch staff of photographers.

Cheerio...pip pip an' all that!

John

John
Toronto, Canada

www.torontofirephotos.ca

bbleigh Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 07:10 PM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 17

I am fortunate enough to work fulltime as a professional photography so I get to shoot everyday. I also have my own lab and studio at home. This gives me the opportunity to shoot for myself as well. I do have to admit that I never have as much time as I would like though. Always something else calling for my attention.

I have a husband and four children and their activities to fill up whatever time there is left in a day. I also go to school at night and with homework it keeps me up late.

As I am usually running around like a chicken with my head chopped off, I never seem to have a camera with me at all times. I prefer to plan my assignments and go out shooting whenever I have the time to devote to my work. As a professional who does this everyday, I sometimes find it a burden to have my cameras always on hand. It leads to the "would you please do me a favor" trick. I recently got sucked into doing some little league soccer pictures that I have regretted ever since. First it was a beg and a plead job for a friend, then another, then another. Moral is that no one wants to pay profesional rates for these kinds of jobs and I lost over $120.00 on the favor.

Wendy L. Folse
http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/wlfphoto

frankie Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 10:52 PM
#21. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 18

I know what you mean - but I'm not a pro and I don't think I'm quite in the same situation you're in.

Every 6 months our local music club-thingy (like a tennis-club for musicians) puts together a jam night... which draws 300-500 people...

I get asked every time now to photograph... because I did it for free the first time...

I haven't been paid - but I'm chalking it up to experience for myself...

Some of the members asked for 8x10's and for those I ran them off on my Epson 1270 with photo-paper... and made a few bux off of that...

I think I've made more money playing music as a hobby than taking pictures... Strange...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

frankie Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 10:49 PM
#19. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 17

Hehehe, no, I live in the burrow formerly known as Downsview/North York... right in the old "Mel"ville..

Close though... Whereabouts are you?

I've thought about it... I just may in the next week or two call around and see what's available...

Gotta keep it fun though...

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Newsphotog Basic MemberFri 12-Jan-01 05:13 PM
#24. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 19

Toronto, CA

Hey Frankie,

I live in the mean streets of downtown T.O., just between The Beaches and Regent Park. I have the best of both worlds!!
I've been known to shoot for the new freebie paper Metro(in the green boxes). I call the Star and Sun for stuff but they have photogs. everywhere to compete with lil' ole me!

I also shoot for a community paper chain that publishes 7 different editions each month around the city. That's a part time gig that keeps me shooting as well as getting my stuff published.

So when does the new Mega Mel Park open in Downsview????

John

John
Toronto, Canada

www.torontofirephotos.ca

frankie Basic MemberWed 17-Jan-01 10:31 PM
#28. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 24

Cool... A buddy of mine used to live around there (I think he's moved to ole' Virgine...(Reference to The Band - 'tis on the record player...)...My ex-gf did too come to think of it..

Well, it's great you made those contacts... Hehehe, sometimes I wonder because those "Mirror" papers for our area (and others) occasionally come 4-5 times a week...

I'd like to do that sort of thing... I'm a little worried about time constraints though ... And things up here in North York tend to be a little tight in terms of budgets ... So they do little in terms of offering anyone the ability to get out there and shoot to be published...

How do you get a lead for papers like the Metro? And how did you make contact with those at the paper... Are they open to volunteers in photography? All the photogs I know in Toronto who do media work are pretty tight-lipped ...Or they're people who go out with company-owned point-and-shoots to cover a something.

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Newsphotog Basic MemberThu 25-Jan-01 02:29 PM
#31. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 28

Toronto, CA

Hey Frankie....

Sorry I didn't respond until now, I hadn't thought of coming back to this thread to reply.

The Metro gig stems from gaining contacts in the biz. I had contacted a reporter/photographer at a paper before he went to Metro and it went from there. Purely a freelance thing but he takes my calls.
The Mirror papers are good to get into. They are a real journalism outfit so they try not to take "snapshots" from someone just calling to say that they have a photo of something.
I've contacted the photo editor and he specifies files in Photoshop in a particular size and format.

I spoke to a lot of professionals before taking my first photo for a paper and asked thier opinions on how to break into the business without the 4 years and $10-15k of education.
The concensus is that if you have an eye for it and are willing to prove it, you should do ok. I called around. I e-mailed and eventually got a bit of a break and went from there. I'm certainly not in the ranks of the Toronto Star or the Post but you gotta start somewhere right?

I'm technically on a "volunteer" basis with one of the newspapers I shoot for, but again it gets me published and opens doors for future jobs. Metro is one of them. I've been into the Sun photo dept. and had my stuff scanned and ready to print a couple of times, but always get bumped for something else. They tend to prefer thier own photogs. work first.

The photographers that work for papers tend to be tight lipped because there are a lot of good photographers in this town and they probably fear for thier job. I have only met a handful of guys in the feild that are willing to say " hi, how ya doin'?"

Others greet you with "you are you with" and that's the extent of thier acknowledgement of your existance. Pooey on them!

See, get a photographer talking about something he likes and he never stops! Hope I haven't bored you to tears.

TTFN

John
Toronto

John
Toronto, Canada

www.torontofirephotos.ca

Newsphotog Basic MemberThu 25-Jan-01 02:32 PM
#32. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 28

Toronto, CA

Hey Frankie....

Sorry I didn't respond until now, I hadn't thought of coming back to this thread to reply.

The Metro gig stems from gaining contacts in the biz. I had contacted a reporter/photographer at a paper before he went to Metro and it went from there. Purely a freelance thing but he takes my calls.
The Mirror papers are good to get into. They are a real journalism outfit so they try not to take "snapshots" from someone just calling to say that they have a photo of something.
I've contacted the photo editor and he specifies files in Photoshop in a particular size and format.

I spoke to a lot of professionals before taking my first photo for a paper and asked thier opinions on how to break into the business without the 4 years and $10-15k of education.
The concensus is that if you have an eye for it and are willing to prove it, you should do ok. I called around. I e-mailed and eventually got a bit of a break and went from there. I'm certainly not in the ranks of the Toronto Star or the Post but you gotta start somewhere right?

I'm technically on a "volunteer" basis with one of the newspapers I shoot for, but again it gets me published and opens doors for future jobs. Metro is one of them. I've been into the Sun photo dept. and had my stuff scanned and ready to print a couple of times, but always get bumped for something else. They tend to prefer thier own photogs. work first.

The photographers that work for papers tend to be tight lipped because there are a lot of good photographers in this town and they probably fear for thier job. I have only met a handful of guys in the feild that are willing to say " hi, how ya doin'?"

Others greet you with "who are you with" and that's the extent of thier acknowledgement of your existance. Pooey on them!

See, get a photographer talking about something he likes and he never stops! Hope I haven't bored you to tears.

TTFN

John
Toronto

John
Toronto, Canada

www.torontofirephotos.ca

kdsmithjr Basic MemberMon 08-Jan-01 10:50 PM
2590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ithaca, US

I'm almost 50, work in higher ed., have a wife and a 3 and a half year old son. Busy? You bet! How/when do I shoot? When I have the time. Do I always carry a camera? Well, my F100 and kit are almost always in my trunk; just in case.

I think you may just be getting to the age when you realize that time is a zero sum game, i.e., whatever time you spend doing x, means time away from y. Get over it; there isn't anything you can do about it.

By the way, you can squeeze in more phototime by not thinking that you have to photograph with a particular set of time and nothing else. For instance, I just bought an SB-28 and, of course, it needs to be "tested." What an excuse to do some candid of my son. I get to shoot and spend time with him too!
Keith D. Smith

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 08-Jan-01 11:44 PM
33928 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 20

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-01 AT 05:39 PM (GMT)

I take pictures everytime I can.
My camera is with me most of the time.
I take pictures of people at meetings.
Take pictures of our products, my staff, the building, and so on.
If there is an interest there will be time and ocassions.
Sure, at first people were very tense, not they know I am crazy about photography and even have learned to be very casual about it and enjoy getting a copy of it afterwards. (Of course I am the boss so they have no alternative)
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 09-Jan-01 02:47 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 22

Rancho Cordova, US

JRP,

Being the boss is deinately a plus. While in school, I always had the camera with me all the time - there was always something happening in our design studios at all hours of the day (and night) and relish the fact that I have these photographs.

Maybe I should just stick my N70 in a bag and carry it. Sooner or later it'll just become a part of me...

Thanks for all the responses.

Anthony

Anthony

Merlin Basic MemberWed 17-Jan-01 12:05 PM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 23

Wendy brought up an interesting point here and introduced that well-known photographic phenomenon: the “Thank-You-Job”. People think that because you happen to do photography for a living, nothing would give you greater pleasure than to shoot their pictures for free. Hey, Mike, can you do our wedding? The studio down town charges a small fortune, and we thought… WRONG, buddy! Nowadays, I either do this kind of thing for nothing if it’s for friends, or I set the prices higher than the guy in the high street if it’s for acquaintances. That sorts ‘em out!

It’s not just photographers who suffer from Thank-You-Jobs. Your garage mechanic can tell you similar tales - plumbers, dentists, doctors, lawyers, too. If you want to make an instant lifelong enemy, ask any professional for free advice at a party!

Any thoughts on this?

Mike

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 17-Jan-01 02:41 PM
#26. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 25

Rancho Cordova, US

Mike:

Don't I know it: My brother, who just traded his regular sargent's badge for a detective badge (at $90,000 a year, I'm told) and just recently bought a house, wants some "free" remodeling work done on it: I'll design it, and our pop (a registered civil engineer and general contractor) will build it - for free. He (my brother) was up for my son's baptism this past weekend and saw all the Nikon gear (toys?) and wants me to be the official photographer for his wedding. My standard answer (half joking, with a wry smile, of course): "Hey, time is money, time spent on a freebee is time NOT spent on something billable. "

I have shot at a couple of weddings for friends (one of which had a professional photographer) and both couples really liked the grab shots - especially the couple without a photographer. Great friends over the years and I was happy to do it because they weren't expecting it.

In any event, time to get back to the "real" work.

Anthony

Anthony

Merlin Basic MemberWed 17-Jan-01 05:05 PM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 26

Anthony,

... and when you point out that it's not like you need the extra practice, you need the extra money, they think you're just being snotty! My wife gets this all the time... after all, she only PLAYS the piano, and playing's supposed to be fun, right?

A never ending problem. I'll just go round to my neighbor and have him weld my muffler after supper. After all, he's a car mechanic...

Don't you hate hypocrites!

Mike

frankie Basic MemberWed 17-Jan-01 10:36 PM
#29. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 25

Hmm... Well, I offered to cover the event when our music-club played a place called the "Capitol Event Theatre" in Toronto. It was the first event of its kind and I was one of the musicians from the club "Downtown Jam" who was holding it. Well, I was in 4 bands (subbing, for 4 bass players - no pay) AND was asked to cover the event as best I could...

My cousin owns the club...

So I ran off about 8 rolls of film. They were SUPPOSED to be for the collections of photos on the walls in the lobby of the club. I noticed that a good portion of them didn't end up on the wall - and that some of the members specifically asked for those photos and took them..

Next event was at another location near our "Pawn Shop District" a big old church that had been turned into an event house - and I didn't take as many photos that night... Had I known members were going to mooch stuff off of me, I would have charged..

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

jstream Basic MemberFri 19-Jan-01 02:07 PM
334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Shutter time..."
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Anthony,

I now work in a camera shop part time (3 days a week) so I actually have less time for shooting than I did for the last year or so (laid off). But now I carry a camera with me every day. I park a few blocks from work (downtown Milwaukee) and shoot my way to and from the car, and I go out and wander the area at lunch time. Plus I have weekends off.
I am lucky in the wife arena too. My wife has a number of friends who are photographers so I have others to talk to and share ideas with, and while she doesn't necessarily want her picture taken, she is always coming up with ideas of things to shoot.
A stray thought... If your wife is "always wondering why she rarely in the picture", put her in the picture! Portraits, candids, studies (figure or other) are all possible. check out the book "the Model Wife" to see what other photographers have done. Shoot some portraits and post them to the portraits forum.
etc.
Will

William A. Rieselbach

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #837 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.