Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #83456
View in linear mode

Subject: "Storing Camera Gear" Previous topic | Next topic
PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Wed 15-Aug-12 03:17 AM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Storing Camera Gear"
Sat 18-Aug-12 03:40 PM by ericbowles

San Jose, US

This really belongs in a "general tips and tricks" type of forum, but I don't see one...

Am I the only guy who has very limited space in which to store all the "stuff" that has resulted from my extreme NAS problem? Well, here's a tip that has helped me to find the lens I want, quickly and safely (compared with rummaging around on a shelf.)

The answer is to spend $25 on a behind-the-door shoe storage "hanger", and put it on the closet door where you keep your gear.

Note that it wasn't at all easy to find a hanger FOR MEN'S shoes, but they are available. I keep all my lenses in Think Tank lens cases (the ones which fit on a TT harness/belt) and the pockets in the hanger are just big enough for cased 14-24mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses. No, they don't take a 400/2.8!

I can't recommend this approach highly enough! I found these items in stock at "The Container Store", Santana Row, San Jose

(Now, I have such a lot more shelf space that I don't need to cure my NAS just yet - AND, I even have a second door for a second hanger...)

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?
wwt67 Silver Member
15th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
GiantTristan Silver Member
15th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
eliot3b4 Platinum Member
18th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
mfphoto1
18th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
gorji Silver Member
18th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
18th Aug 2012
CaptainYooh Platinum Member
18th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Aug 2012
Reply message RE: Storing Camera Gear
dhrphoto Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
klrbee25 Silver Member
19th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Aug 2012
Dallaspilot Gold Member
19th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
19th Aug 2012
JECoutre Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
28th Aug 2012
PeterBeckett Gold Member
28th Aug 2012

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 15-Aug-12 03:48 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

So, you don't need a cure for your NAS yet. What about when you fill the second door hanger?

Great idea! Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 05:58 PM
772 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Jose, US

Wayne, you must be forgetting all the space that TWO of these have liberated from my shelves and totes...

Pete

GiantTristan Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 15-Aug-12 04:19 AM
1814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 0

Stamford, US

Imagine - poor Henri Cartier-Bresson had to manage with just a 50mm prime and was still able to come up with some nice pictures...

Tristan

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 06:03 PM
#8. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Jose, US

Tristan,
I'd be the last person to suggest that more gear is any form of a substitute for SKILL. However, it does add to the enjoyment knowing that one is NOT equipment-limited. (i.e., there's no excuse...)

Pete

eliot3b4 Platinum Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2008Sat 18-Aug-12 11:30 AM
84 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 0

Eliot, US

Great idea!

How do you carry all of your equipment?

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 01:50 PM
#5. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 3

San Jose, US

Hi Jean,
I'm a longterm devotee of Think Tank products ( http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ ) and have the appropriate TT lens pouches for every lens plus a selection of their small non-specific bags for the bits 'n bobs. All are intended to hang on TT belts. My biggest lens is a 400/2.8, for which the TT "Glass Taxi" backpack is a perfect fit.

When preparing for some form of a photo excursion, I select the items that I want to take, plus a TT "Large Drop In" and often a TT "R U Thirsty" and fix them to the belt of the harness. Voila!

As I am 72 and only need a small/medium belt, the fact that I can fit no more than six of the pouches/bags on it forces me to keep the weight down. I normally have only 2-3 lenses on the belt although occasionally 4 if I think I might want a fisheye (which is small).

FWIW, I have purchased a second shoe hanger. I use it for many of the small items instead of hiding them away in totes etc. It's a real joy to be able to find things so easily, but I have to put the larger items in the top row of pockets, otherwise I'd need steps...

Pete

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 18-Aug-12 11:36 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

I love the idea now I just need to build a closet in my studio and equipment room so that I will have a door.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 06:06 PM
#9. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 4

San Jose, US

Hi Monica,
Wish I had a studio! Hey, some hooks on a spare wall could be used to hang a few of these...

Pete

gorji Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2007Sat 18-Aug-12 02:58 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jamesville, US

A great idea. Thank you.
-------------
Please visit my galleries: Reza Gorji Photography

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 18-Aug-12 06:07 PM
#10. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 6

San Jose, US

Thanks Reza.

Pete

CaptainYooh Platinum Member Nikonian since 27th Oct 2011Sat 18-Aug-12 08:58 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 10

Calgary, CA

Great idea! But this has got to be a fairly heavy rack fully loaded. I'm curious, what's the weight of it, roughly? Are you worried at all that either the hanger or the door hinges might give?

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 09:26 PM
#15. "RE: This isn't the right forum, but where should it go?"
In response to Reply # 11

San Jose, US

Hi Naum,
I took everything out of the shoe hanger, put it in a tote and weighed it - under 40lbs.

The hanger is made from a sturdy linen or light canvas. All stress points are reinforced. All seams are taped and sewn. It hangs from three substantial hooks over the door and the hooks fit into metal reinforcements "built" into the cloth hanger. IMHO, it could easily take up to 60lbs payload.

No, I have no fears whatsoever of anything breaking or yielding.

Pete

dhrphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Sep 2007Sun 19-Aug-12 12:38 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Laurel, US

Nice idea, great oganization! Thanks!

May Your Day Be Happy And
Full Of Beautiful Images
D.H.R.

klrbee25 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2006Sun 19-Aug-12 01:53 AM
1384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Naples, US

Great organization! My only concern is humidity and darkness. I store my gear in a Pelican case with multiple desiccants to prevent mold. If anyone lives in Hawaii or Florida, I wouldn't store them like that.

-Alex Rosen
www.flickr.com/photos/klrbee25/

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 09:53 PM
#17. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 13

San Jose, US

Alex,
I certainly don't want to criticise the care you seem to take with storing your photo gear, but am somewhat curious about what led you to using sealed cases with dessicant (other than just for travel).

Perhaps I have been fortunate, but I have never knowingly suffered from any problem whatsoever due to humidity, even after bodies and lenses were subjected to unexpected downpours of rain - and were not able to be dried off properly for several hours. My gut feeling is that it is far better to store gear in as closely similar an environment (temperature and humidity) as that in which it is going to be used when shooting. i.e., the air inside lenses and bodies should, ideally, match the "outside" environment. I might even anticipate problems when a scrupulously dry body+lens is taken from its case to be used in a humid environment.

Pete

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 01:42 PM
238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

The dedicated storage closet is a great idea. The unit is small enough for humidity control with dessicant and looks sturdy enough that one might put an exterior lock on the closet door, thus making it more secure in case of burglary. My only question is: when you open the door, does the hanging rack swing away from the door, then slam back to the door when the door stops moving?
Overall, a fabulous organizational idea for photo or other kinds of equipment.

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 19-Aug-12 09:34 PM
#16. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 14

San Jose, US

Hi Lynn,
Nope, the swinging is completely negligible (under 1in maximum, when opening the door.

I don't feel any need to store my gear in an artificially dried environment - but do enjoy living in the south SF Bay area.

A lock on the closet might be a good idea, but I reckon locks tend to attract the wrong people! Anyway, My State Farm policy is based on replacement value...

Pete

JECoutre Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2008Mon 20-Aug-12 12:33 AM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Concord, US

Simply Thanks! A great idea for organization of not only lenses but all those other items that acumulate over the years but still used.

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Tue 28-Aug-12 04:42 AM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Pete, thanks a lot! After months of working on my photography/computer/printer room to make things more efficient, and thinking that I am all done, you come up with a great idea. Now I have to rethink some things.

Mike

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Tue 28-Aug-12 12:57 PM
#20. "RE: Storing Camera Gear"
In response to Reply # 19

San Jose, US

Hi Mike,
LOL (literally)...

Pete

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #83456 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.