Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #81226
View in linear mode

Subject: "It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plu..." Previous topic | Next topic
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Thu 19-Apr-12 08:26 AM
3994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
Thu 19-Apr-12 11:22 AM by flashdeadline

Havelock, US

The rumors were true.
Nikon has announced the new Nikon D3200 and a wide angle FX format f1/2.8 lens
We have the highlights in our News Blog (along with a link to the official press release)
http://blog.nikonians.org/archives/2012/04/nikon_unveils_new_entry-level_d3200.html

spelling correction

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200...
rectangularimage Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
blw Moderator
20th Apr 2012
spootdad
20th Apr 2012
PennsyBill Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
Wolphin Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
rectangularimage Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
Chris B1
23rd Apr 2012
etillona Silver Member
23rd Apr 2012
nrothschild Silver Member
24th Apr 2012

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Thu 19-Apr-12 06:34 PM
1115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

The WU-1a camera-to-phone/tablet wireless connection looks like an interesting development.

I predict a slew of self portraits of people holding their phone/tablet.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 11:31 AM
26801 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Will there be panic in the streets over the resolution of our lenses? This is like an FX that's 60mp.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

spootdad Registered since 27th Dec 2006Fri 20-Apr-12 01:52 PM
730 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 20-Apr-12 01:53 PM by spootdad

Portage, US

This came to my mind as well. After the initial rash of "something must be wrong with the D7000" messages, things settled down, but Nikon has seemed to take note, as evidenced by their release of things to do and not do for the D800, which, due to price, would seem to be aimed at a more well-heeled and so possibly more experienced clientele. Since the D3200 is aimed directly at the hobbyist, won't they have to make a more intense campaign to get the word out?
It seems like they are trying to set themselves up for some early bad PR.

Edited to add: I am not implying there were systematic problems with the D7000 or D800, nor am I expecting any with this new camera.
From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse, the going up was worth the coming down

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

PennsyBill Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Dec 2008Mon 23-Apr-12 12:42 PM
158 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 3

Diamond Bar, US

It certainly looks interesting and I think it might make a great vacation camera. The 1st things I noticed in the mini-revues were the short battery life and the fastest shtter speed of 1/4000 second.

The 4fps on the winder isn't a big deal to most folks but the camera certainly should be able to keep up with.

The video feature doesn't interest me at all and wish you buy one without it.

The price is certainly inexpensive enough and while I won't jump right in I'm thinking about buying one ---- if I don't like it i can give to one of grandchildren.

What I'm really waiting on is the sucessor of my D300.

Wolphin Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Mar 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 01:10 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Calgary, CA

This makes me less satisfied with my D7000 now Oh, well! At least it was 8 months, not 3-4 when I got my D80, before the D90 came out!

Still the D7000 has 2 SD Slots where the D3200 has 1. The D3200 appears to not have the autofocus motor connector. The RAW is less: 12-bit compressed only. The AF system has many less points (11 to D7k's 39). Half the battery life of the D7k.

OK, now I feel a bit better: many of the key features seem to be removed from the camera. Still... it's a nice body, but with those deficits wouldn't trade my D7000.

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Mon 23-Apr-12 05:24 PM
1115 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 2

San Diego, US

>Will there be panic in the streets over the resolution of our
>lenses? This is like an FX that's 60mp.

I think it might be time to panic. Well not really panic but a focus (no pun) on how much resolution a lens provides. For instance the 18-55m DX VR kit lens might only provide 20 meg resolution, and any resolution greater than that provided by the sensor is wasted with that lens. I know there are more informative metrics like MTF curves (which I don't really understand), but nice easy number, resolution expressed in pixel count, for lenses, might be useful.

....Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Chris B1 Registered since 06th Sep 2004Mon 23-Apr-12 10:53 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 2

Upper Coomera, AU

Hi Brian,
The lens issue will be interesting. We will have to wait and see how the pro DX lenses 10-24,12-24 & 17-55 perform on this camera. Will the consumer/prosumer lenses be able to perform on a sensor this big? Will we need to go to FX lenses to realise the resolving power of this sensor?

Chris B1

etillona Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jul 2011Mon 23-Apr-12 05:39 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 0

East Haddam, US

I have no interest in this camera, but the new technology keeps raising the bar which is a great thing for all of us. I just love new technology...

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 24-Apr-12 02:01 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: It is Official: NIKON releases 24.2 Meg Nikon D3200 plus new lens"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 24-Apr-12 02:19 PM by nrothschild

US

Regarding entry level lens resolution...

System resolution has been traditionally been modeled by the following formula:

1/s^N = 1/a^N + 1/b^N

s = system resolution
a = component 1 (sensor)
b = component 2 (lens)
N = some constant between 1 and 2; pick the one you like best

That formula is empirical, not theoretical. It was basically developed to model what was observed by testing lenses and film. I've never seen any research into the applicability of this formula on digital. And because it is empirical there is a huge assumption here.

Because reasonable and knowledgeable people can endlessly argue the value of N and there is no hard established value, we can only make certain observations about the general behavior of the formula...

Given equal resolution of the components (sensor and lens), if N=1 then the system resolution will be 1/2 the resolution of the components. As N trends toward 2 the resolution heads to about 70%.

Where the resolution is unequal, which is the most likely event, the system resolution will always be less than the weakest component, and the higher the value of N the closer the resolution will approach that weaker component.

The formula makes no distinction between the lens and the film (sensor).

The upshot of all this is that if you increase the resolution of one of the components the system resolution will always increase. How much it increases depends on the specific resolutions and the value of N, which could debated forever until some research lab revisits this formula.

This all suggests that the D3200 will provide improved resolution, compared to the predecessor 12 and 16 mpx cameras, with any fully functional modern Nikkor, even the least expensive 18-55 and 55-200 kit lenses.

It also suggests that the performance improvement will not be nearly as good as what would be obtained with high end lenses that are presumably sharper.

Some discussions in the D800 forum support the validity of this formula, at least in the general way I phrased it. Many D800 users report surprisingly good results from lenses that were less than stellar on lower res sensors.

I would suggest that the purpose of the D3200 is to blow that Digital Rebel out of the water and make huge money for Nikon after capturing the entire entry level camera business, so that Nikon can throw more R&D at the D400 project

Everyone is happy except the spouses of the D3200 buyers, who need to suffer through the NAS that causes the entry level buyer to pursue those high end lenses and the new D400

Edit: because a strict interpretation of diffraction forumlas puts the diffraction limit of the D3200 between f/5.6 and f/6, any lens shot around f/5.6 - f/8 is going to have, by definition, a resolution that is actually quite close to the D3200 sensor.

And the typical bundled lenses are already at f/5.6 wide open over some or most of their range. In order to truly optimize the results from that sensor the lens will not only need to be shot at wider apertures but also be diffraction limited at those wider apertures, especially in the f/4 area.

As has been discussed here in depth, there is a lot of wiggle room in the diffraction computations, to the extent of a stop or two, but I think the effect is to tend to more or less equalize the component resolutions from about f/5.6 out to f/8-f/11.

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #81226 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.