Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #81014
View in linear mode

Subject: "Weston and Beyond" Previous topic | Next topic
Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006Mon 09-Apr-12 11:22 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Weston and Beyond"
Tue 10-Apr-12 12:39 AM by Bluefin

Danville, US

Friday afternoon I drove to the Wildcat Bridge in Carmel, parked the truck, and walked up the Weston driveway for a fabulous 2 day workshop on fine art nude photography with Kim Weston.

Saturday evening Kim made us dinner at his Grandfather's house. Huntington Witherill and Roman Loranc joined us for dinner.

Right off the dinning room is Ed's darkroom. It was a magical experience to stand there at his sink, holding his dodge and burning tools while Kim told a couple of us stories about Ed, Brett and Cole. And don't fall for the "pepper #30 in the press" gag. Kim accidentally pushes down on Ed's press and a print of a pepper 30 falls out to his faked surprise!

After dinner we all sat down as Huntington, Roman, and Kim showed us prints. All around me are family heirlooms, prints, furniture that belonged to Edward when he lived there.

Throughout the weekend Kim took us to his gallery after the day of shooting and showed us prints and negatives made by him and his famous family. Magical! When he brought out Ed's prints I almost died. One of my favorite prints from Point Lobos was shown.

Oh....and BTW, the models, the instruction and the shooting was beyond any expectation I might have had. I am going register again for next year.

I've been to a number of workshops in my time and have often been disappointed. This one was beyond compare. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to fine art nude photography but it was something I always wanted to do. What a fabulous way to get started. I was shooting with attendees who have been at it for 40 years! It was a great mix of people, hosts, guests and models. Film is the norm and digital was very, very welcome.

Kim is doing some unbelievable work and has a show coming up in Carmel at the Center for Photographic Art. He is painting prints and they are to die for!

I'm sure I will remember this workshop for a long, long time. I hope you guys don't mind me rambling about this. It was just so cool and my lovely wife could care less!

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 10-Apr-12 12:16 AM
8412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Weston and Beyond"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Mark:

Thanks for sharing your Weston experience.

I have been there twice now and agree with all your observations: It is a very worthwhile and challenging experience. In my personal view, the feminine form contains several families of curves found nowhere else in nature, and they all vary from model to model.

The models are always superb, and very willing to work with you. My last trip there, 2011, included a model who stood six-feet, two inches, without shoes ... simply stunning!

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Bluefin Registered since 14th Nov 2006Wed 11-Apr-12 03:30 PM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Weston and Beyond"
In response to Reply # 1

Danville, US

Hal,

If I remember correctly, I first heard about this workshop from you. You had a post somewhere that mentioned the workshop. After reading your post I checked it out on the web and finally went!

Thanks for the heads up........Mark

Mark Sloane
Danville, CA

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Wed 11-Apr-12 04:04 PM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Weston and Beyond"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

Wow, sounds like a great experience. Congrats on taking that nice step in your journey.

....Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #81014 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.