Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80742
View in linear mode

Subject: "Top 10 problems the community solve for members" Previous topic | Next topic
bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberSun 25-Mar-12 06:26 PM
5467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Top 10 problems the community solve for members"

Bratislava, SK

Please list your top 10 type of problems (issues) Nikonians members solve for others.
Best three contributions get each an original Nikonians Photo Pro Strap.

Bo Stahlbrandt. Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.
Find out more about The Nikonians Team -- See the latest, hottest posts

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members
ZoneV Silver Member
25th Mar 2012
suzyk Silver Member
27th Mar 2012
voyageurfred Silver Member
01st Apr 2012
dvhughes Silver Member
02nd Apr 2012
02nd Apr 2012
kdsmithjr Silver Member
02nd Apr 2012
pjr Gold Member
25th Mar 2012
newbird Silver Member
26th Mar 2012
bgs Administrator
26th Mar 2012
Pouncer Silver Member
27th Mar 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Apr 2012
     Reply message What the hell happened here
02nd Apr 2012
Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
suzyk Silver Member
26th Apr 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Mar 2012
suzyk Silver Member
27th Mar 2012
LondonD70
27th Mar 2012
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
28th Mar 2012
llevine Gold Member
28th Mar 2012
bgs Administrator
29th Mar 2012
nwcs Silver Member
29th Mar 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
29th Mar 2012
Sumac
02nd Apr 2012
Reply message Lightweight tripod
02nd Apr 2012
scenicshutterbug Silver Member
02nd Apr 2012
timpsm Silver Member
03rd Apr 2012
jhpani Silver Member
03rd Apr 2012
DSW90049 Gold Member
23rd Apr 2012
kartane
26th Apr 2012

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sun 25-Mar-12 08:03 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 25-Mar-12 08:03 PM by ZoneV

US

I've had a few tough questions over the years:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=70016&mesg_id=70016&page=3

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=64995&mesg_id=64995&page=2#65110

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=192821&mesg_id=192821&page=4

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=172757&mesg_id=172757&page=4

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=146&topic_id=165910&mesg_id=165910&page=4

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=72370&mesg_id=72370&page=4#72394

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=70281&mesg_id=70281&page=4

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=33701&mesg_id=33701&page=3

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=141&topic_id=35151&mesg_id=35151&page=

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=141&topic_id=34747&mesg_id=34747&page=

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Tue 27-Mar-12 03:32 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 1

near Hobart, AU

Al,

Your list of topics has made very interesting reading for me.

Thanks

Cheers,
Suzy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007Sun 01-Apr-12 02:02 AM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 1

Montreal, CA

"Please list your top 10 type of problems (issues) Nikonians members solve for others."

Your subject line says for members, but your request says "for others." I'll better your request for 10 and offer 13 with a printout to boot, and then some.

Tips and Techniques for Better Photographs

Landscape and Outdoor Photography

1. Use a polarizer on the front of your lens to increase colour saturation and add punch. It will remove glare from the sky, water, foliage, store front windows and much more!

2. For best contrast, colour and sweet light, photograph in the early morning or late afternoon. There’s a reason why its called - “the Magic Hour!”

3. If you have a dynamic sky with interesting clouds – especially at sunset or sunrise, place the horizon lower in the frame to get more of it.

4. If the sky is gray, dull and lifeless, try zooming in or moving up to your subject, to remove it

5. With landscapes, add foreground interest such as flowers, interesting stones and rocks, shorelines etc to “anchor” the image and increase the perceived depth.

6. In low light, use a tripod for longer exposures and the sharpest results.
In fact, try using a tripod… all the time!

7. Vary your photos - take vertical as well as horizontal shots to gain a different perspective. Shoot your subject from different angles, and try different white balance settings, from “sunny” mode for outdoors photos, to tungsten (light bulb) setting for indoor images.

8. Use Exposure Compensation, the +/- button, (also known as "EV" for Exposure Value, Contrôl de Luminosité in French) of -0.3, -0.7 and lower when shooting in sunlight, bright snow and sand, or when bright back- grounds and reflective objects are visible, to prevent your images from being “washed out”

9. Use your zoom lens to bring objects closer, compress a background or even for selective focus, by throwing a background out of focus.

Portrait Photography

10. The eyes have it – make sure your subject’s eyes are in focus… and sharp!

11. When shooting a single subject or person, try placing them on the left or right side of the frame, following the “Rule of the Thirds” rather than in the center of the image.

12. If the light is harsh and your subject has large shadows across their face, use your on camera flash or attach a flash unit, to provide some fill light, lessen the contrast, and pop some catch light into their eyes. Alternatively, move into a shaded area and shoot with natural light.

13. Watch your backgrounds! When shooting people, make sure telephone poles, branches and other distracting objects are not “growing” from their heads. Remove visible garbage and other objects that might detract from your image… or compose your photograph differently.

Extras

Helping members to expose for and photograph Independence Day fireworks, as seen here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=226&topic_id=15994

and here, with some processing tutorials, including a "How to" tip sheet for downloading (this one had more than 6,000 views):

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=68507

Then there was the teaser I wrote titled "Backup UPS - Are you using one?" about how to protect your computer from power line transients and sudden power outages

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=190&topic_id=69063

And now it's time for supper, my energy is waning! Perhaps I'll add more latah, after I've recharged my internal battery.

PS I added one more sheet, on how to correct image distortion in Photoshop. You will have to download it to discover what I wrote!

Happy shooting!

Frederic in Montréal

Nothing ventured... nothing gained!
http://www.RemarkableImages.ca

Downloads:
Tips and Techniques for Better Photographs
http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/219122.pdf

Correcting Image Distortion and Perspective (in Photoshop)
http://www.nikonians.org/dcfp/user_files/219123.pdf

Attachment #1, (pdf file)
Attachment #2, (pdf file)

dvhughes Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Nov 2005Mon 02-Apr-12 12:40 AM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 15

St. Petersburg, US

8. Use Exposure Compensation, the +/- button, (also known as "EV" for Exposure Value, Contrôl de Luminosité in French) of -0.3, -0.7 and lower when shooting in sunlight, bright snow and sand, or when bright back- grounds and reflective objects are visible, to prevent your images from being “washed out”
-----------------
I think your exposure comp will be a + number in bright sand, snow, etc. your camers's meter will turn white to gray so you need to up the exposure.

Dennis Hughes

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007Mon 02-Apr-12 02:23 AM
415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 16

Montreal, CA

"I think your exposure comp will be a + number in bright sand, snow, etc. your cameras's meter will turn white to gray so you need to up the exposure."

Actually Dennis, it's both, depending upon the time of day, and how the sun is reflecting off of the sand or snow.

Snow can be tricky. If it's "new" snow, the soft and fluffy stuff, it will have a rougher surface and tend to bounce the light around all over the place so yes, you will have to overexpose by as much as one stop to get it looking white. But if it's "old" and compacted, more light reflects from its smoother surface, making appear much hotter, so you may have to dial down the EC - again depending upon the angle of the sun, time of day, and the camera angle relative to the snow.

Here's one image overexposed by 2/3 stop to compensate for the hazy sun. Thank you for your response and interest.

"Lonely Pursuit"
Ice Fisherman on Lake Memphremagog, Quebec
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8D AF-S @ 70mm
Exposure: f/8 @ 1/320 sec, WB Daylight, Exp comp +0.7,
Aperture Priority. Jan 4, 2011 2:57pm (Sunset was around 3:30pm)
©2011 Frederic Hore.

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

kdsmithjr Silver Member Charter MemberMon 02-Apr-12 08:09 AM
2592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon 02-Apr-12 08:11 AM by kdsmithjr

Ithaca, US

i agree. the poster is wrong. basic zone photography teaches what you suggest. you are correct. things that are brighter than 18 % grey will be toned down to 18%. to make them white you must overexpose. always

K. D. Smith, Jr.
My gallery: http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1334

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Sun 25-Mar-12 09:35 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

- solving problems with photoshop
- getting advice on locations I'm traveling to, and what to shoot there
- getting advice on what equipment to purchase, or not to purchase
- getting honest critiques on how to improve my photography

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

newbird Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2006Mon 26-Mar-12 09:31 PM
2002 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Neuville, near Quebec City, CA

- printing colors mismatch
- printing too dark
- using Nick's plugins without requiring other software than Capture NX
- improving performance of Capture NX
- properly setting and using AE-L/AF-L button
- selecting gear
- finding used gear from trusty people
- sincere, useful, timely and respectful advices on every request (no BS from trolls or impolite members)
- identify exact location for a given scene along tips and tricks to go there
- fantastic help for photo trip planning

Yvan
Quebec Nikonian
http://yvanbedardphotonature.com

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberMon 26-Mar-12 10:43 PM
5467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 3

Bratislava, SK

Zone, Phil, Yvan,

Thank you for your input guys!
Any more takers? What are the top 10 problems the community helps to solve?

Bo Stahlbrandt. Founder and Administrator located in Bratislava/Slovakia and in the Black Forest/Germany.

Pouncer Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 27-Mar-12 05:57 PM
1113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 4

Memphis, US

Under the “how to photograph” heading:

1. Basic camera and lens functions and their impact on a photograph (aperture, depth of field, shutter speed, motion blur, picture controls, exposure delay, frames per second, flash settings, etc.)

2. Critiques of photographs (what does and does not work, and why, also cropping, post-processing options, etc.)

3. Effective use of light (natural light, golden hours, flash, etc.)

4. Composition variables (rule of thirds, foregrounds, dead space, etc.)

Under the “what equipment/camera and lens division” heading:

5. Best camera (per specifications and shooting conditions, etc.)

6. Best lenses (aperture, focal length, special characteristics – zoom/prime, macro, DC, etc.)

7. Best accessories (filters, tripods, heads, bags, etc.)

Under the “what equipment/post-processing division” heading:

8. Computer options (RAM, processors, laptop, desktop, etc.)

9. Software options (how to select and use Nikon and Adobe options, plugins)

Under the “personal motivation” heading:

10. Contests

Under the “what the hell happened here” heading:

11. I joined Nikonians with one camera and two lenses. Why do I now have two cameras and 14 lenses?

Garrett

This is my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 02-Apr-12 02:26 AM
4262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 9

Alberta, CA

Your items 1 - 10 are great!

>Under the “what the hell happened here” heading:
>
>11. I joined Nikonians with one camera and two lenses. Why
>do I now have two cameras and 14 lenses?
>
>Garrett

#11 is a very important area here at Nikonians

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007Mon 02-Apr-12 02:27 AM
#19. "What the hell happened here"
In response to Reply # 9

Montreal, CA

"I joined Nikonians with one camera and two lenses. Why do I now have two cameras and 14 lenses?"

Garrett - I know what you mean! I've got NAS real bad

Cheers,
Frederic in Montréal

Rohinton_Mehta Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2002Fri 20-Apr-12 11:04 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 4

Mumbai, IN

What are the top 10 problems the community helps to solve?

I'll give one that beats all 10!

The Community provides peace of mind that, should any problem be encountered, there are very knowledgeable members who are ready, willing, and able to help you. What more can one ask for?

Rohinton

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Thu 26-Apr-12 03:24 AM
1563 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 26

near Hobart, AU

Rohinton,

This is what I love about Nikonians most of all, well put.

Cheers,
Suzy

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 27-Mar-12 12:08 AM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

1. CLS issues and misunderstandings.
2. Understanding iTTL vs iTTL-BL
3. Equipment malfunctions and remedies, or whether the malfunction is actually operator error.
4. Battery applications and chargers.
5. Workflows.
6. Ancillary gear, like bags, tripods.
7. Equipment reviews.
8. The how to type articles.
9. Third party equipment and how it interfaces with Nikon gear.
10. Exposure and lighting issues.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

suzyk Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Dec 2011Tue 27-Mar-12 03:30 AM
#6. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

near Hobart, AU

Great question.

The answers depend on where you are at as a photographer. From the viewpoint of one very new to photography and Nikon And in no particular order:

1)What to buy questions. Nikonians help others with working out what they want. Help newer members work out what is important to consider when making a purchase. Offer mini reviews on gear they have.

2)Problems with gear. Especially those new to photography; can't get eg good focus. Tempted to blame the gear. Nikonians to the rescue. Post a pic with data and members will help user through improving technique and rarely advise on faulty equipment (if that is the problem)

3)Critique of images. Post a photo, Nikonians will offer advice on how it could have been improved (exposure, composition, FOV etc.)

4)Learn new ways to use camera. Eg using the AF-ON button or equivalent for focussing; using iTTL vs iTTL-BL (not clear in my D90 manual); post processing; white balance etc. etc.

5)Provide someone to discuss photography with so you don't drive your non-photogaphy friends/family mad. Lots of different viewpoints and levels of experience; all treated equally.

6)Similar to 5 - when you have any problem that is driving you crazy, don't worry, the answer is probably only a search away or ask a question in appropriate forum and there is an answer within days or less.

7)For those who travel - where to travel, what to take etc. Group travel organised.

8)Buy and Sell

9)Special interest forums both in terms of gear used and style of photography

10)Did I mention the many experienced, talented and generous people who spend many hours sharing their expertise with new users like me, helping make my new photography journey fun rather than frustrating.

I'm sure I have forgotten plenty, but Nikonians is definitely worth the investment to me.

Cheers,
Suzy

LondonD70 Registered since 15th Mar 2012Tue 27-Mar-12 03:24 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I'm quite a new member I come at this more with the perspective of the helped than the helper I guess, but with only 2 entries so far (this took a while to type up there are more now) I can't pass up throwing my hat in the ring for this one

in no particular order.

1) Basic how to use info. I've had an interest in photography for most of my life although it's exploration has been more recent. I got a D70 last year & although I had some understanding of terms which tend not to come up on point and shoots but do on SLRs I did have to muddle my way through it to a degree and the same is true of a lot of people who make the transition to SLRs but don't have someone to ask for help from. I'd be kidding myself if I told you I knew all the functions of my camera and just this weekend by using the search facility stumbled on a question someone has asked about EV to help me understand the exposure compensation feature of the camera which I'd previously thought did nothing as I'd tried to experiment with it while the camera was in mode M.

2) How to get the best out of what you have. Probably what I'm exploring the most at the moment as I'm not a great photographer and still have a lot to learn but. Another keen interest of mine is motorcycles and as I said to a friend recently, most people know where the brake lever is and how to pull it back but that doesn't mean they can stop a bike quickly & safely. The same is true of a camera, I may know how to change the aperture an shutter speed but that doesn't mean I'm doing it properly and they aren't even the only 2 variables you need to worry about. I've noticed a lot of "how can I make this better" type questions with useful feedback on what you should and should not be doing.

3) Technical issues & product specific knowledge, I recently asked a question about compact flash card transfer speeds on my D70 as I wanted to get a second card and didn't know how fast was too fast. I got some helpful information both on the issue I asked about but also I'd made mention almost in passing about having purchased a new battery to help extend my ability to snap away which is why I was now looking at a new memory card also. Although not explicitly what I asked about someone suggested that I check with Nikon as the ENEL3 model of battery had undergone a recall, I looked into it and sure enough my battery was part of the recall! As a result I'm sending the old one away and getting a brand spanking new one which I reported back. I then got a message of thanks for confirming the recall was still being honoured and was advised I also double check my firmware versions which although were not giving me any grief I was aware of were also out of date!

4) What to buy. As the D70 suggests I don't have large sums on money to spend on photography so I want to make sure every £1 I spend goes on something useful. I think even if you have cash to spare though you still don't want to throw money away so be it a £5000 body a £2000 lens or a £5 accessory there seem quite a few questions about which bit of kit is worth getting both in terms of if it has the quality & is it right for the end user. Personally I've been look at a device called a "puffer" which is a diffuser for pop-up flashes which a few people have asked about & it's had mixed reviews so I'm still weighing it up in my mind, but a good flash is going to cost me more than the camera so if I can make the pop up flash a little more usable then I think I probably will.

5) Composition advice. I don't think I'm consistently getting the settings for each snap right but even if I was that's obviously only half the story. I can spot the wildly obvious things like "that photo would have been better if you hadn't cut his head off". But I'm slowly picking up little tips that people have suggested such as one photo where the subject is standing by a window and it was suggested that drawing the curtains a bit may have improved the photo as the view outside while lovely was a little busy and distracted from the intended subject.

6) Double helpings. As you may have gathered I've picked up quite a few things so far although I've only actually asked the one question. This is because frequently others have already asked things that I'm interested in so I first try to seek out the answers before asking the same questions again. To date I've been happy with the information I've garnered from responses to other peoples questions however I know that if I find myself still feeling a little short on know-how I can always add to that existing topic or start a new one.

Maybe I've been a bit too general and grouped some things others might have made multiple points from or perhaps I've just not been around long enough to appreciate some of the other benefits that are available to me but I think 6 is my limit I'm afraid.

Hope you find that helpful
Ant

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Wed 28-Mar-12 12:52 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

Teaching new users that most issues are user related and not gear related.

Number 1 how to get a sharp image
- control focus point
- DOF control with Aperture priority
- shutter speed to control camera shake
- proper hand held technique
- focus fine tuning
- choosing the right focus settings

Number 2 Exposure Issues
- dynamic range
- HDR
- sensor limitations
- software and in camer exposure compensation

Understanding all equipment including lenses, camera's, flash etc

Buying advice

Optimizing settings for specific type of photography

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

llevine Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Jul 2007Wed 28-Mar-12 09:02 PM
375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

1. Encourage photographers to gain confidence in their ability.
2. Have a place to ask questions and receive answers without getting berated.
3. Having a place to share ideas and common interests.
4. Finding accessible friends to share interests.
5. Finding outings with people of common interests.
6. Having a place to read about other Nikon photographers experiences.
7. Keeping in touch with online friends and other people who have shared trip experiences.
8. With all of the world problems going on, finding a place to relax, enjoy and laugh at some of the experiences of others.
9. Having a place to commiserate with the NAS syndrome that we all experience.
10. Having easy access to a place that allows us to dream about possible future trips.

bgs Administrator One of the two c-founders, expert in several areas Awarded for his valuable Nikon product reviews at the Resources Charter MemberThu 29-Mar-12 12:31 AM
#12. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 11

Bratislava, SK

Gals and boys,

Thank you very much for your very good input!

Yes, we (you!) are for sure helping out in many areas and it is cool to see one of our new members (hi there LondonD70) chiming in as well.

if someone else has something to add, please go for it!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 29-Mar-12 03:58 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 12

Knoxville, US

Hmm...

1. Image critique: how do I make this better?
2. Is this camera right for me? Seeing the samples of pictures and discussions how people use it is awesome.
3. Is this lens right for me? Almost as good as a try before you buy.
4. What am I doing wrong? Being able to talk about something and finding out whether it's normal or a real problem.
5. An outlet to show pictures! I sometimes enjoy posting pictures here more than Flickr or 500px.
6. How do I process this picture? All the advice for how to maximize a picture in post.
7. Pre-shot. Seeing the pictures and commentary help me figure out shots I want to try that I would never have tied otherwise.
8. What to shoot. Case in point: I'm in Las Vegas on business. I found threads on things I might try shooting while here. I shot some of those. Cuts down on wasted time and with higher confidence than a web search.
9. The marketplace. The perfect way to satisfy NAS or recover from NAS.
10. Community. We all love to guess what Nikon will do. Having people to speculate with is more fun. I read nikonrumors like everyone else but no matter what forum ihave tried none have been as fun to be around as nikonians.

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 29-Mar-12 03:31 PM
1867 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

1. Equipment selection
2. Discussion of problems (equipment or software)
3. Creative Ideas - you can't help but be impressed with the talent that exists within Nikonians
4. Mentoring - I'm impressed with the "willingness to help" that exists within the community.

Tom

Sumac Registered since 06th May 2009Mon 02-Apr-12 02:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My major issue is finding a tripod that is sturdy yet folds down realtively small and is lightweight. Can anyone offer spme suggestions?

voyageurfred Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jun 2007Mon 02-Apr-12 02:38 PM
#22. "Lightweight tripod"
In response to Reply # 21
Mon 02-Apr-12 08:16 PM by voyageurfred

Montreal, CA

"My major issue is finding a tripod that is sturdy yet folds down realtively small and is lightweight."

Hi Susan - You may want to try a Manfrotto 190CXPro3 - a 3 section carbon fibre tripod, combined with a lightweight but very strong Acratech GV2 ballhead, which is what I use, exclusively for my travel photography.

When I took delivery of it last summer before my 32 day trip to Iceland, I thought the carbon fibre tripod was a "toy" - it was so light compared to the heavy-duty, aluminum Manfrotto 055ProB I use for my regular work.

However, I found this combo very stable for all my needs, including bird photography of puffins in the West Fjords, using my D700 mounted with an Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8D AF-S, or a 300 f/4 AF.

I bought my gear from B&H Photo. For the Manfrotto tripod:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/548524-REG/Manfrotto_190CXPRO3_190CXPRO3_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

and the Acratech ballhead:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650470-REG/Acratech_1155_GP_Ballhead.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Here's an image from that shoot, using the gear I described above.

"Mating Rituals"
Latrabjarg Cliffs, West Fjords, Iceland

Hope this helps

Frederic in Montréal

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

scenicshutterbug Silver Member Nikonian since 27th May 2008Mon 02-Apr-12 08:00 PM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Richland, US

While not exactly a problem, I think the most important thing that Nikonians do is help each other push our individual boundaries and expand our abilities as photographers, be that with help on composition, setup (lighting/framing, etc.), editing, equipment selection and usage, or constructive criticism.

Karen

timpsm Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2010Tue 03-Apr-12 03:14 AM
412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Spring Island, CA

In typical Nikonians way, the answer is all of the above.

As has been said, the Nikonians community is a positive and constructive group who give the newcomer the confidence and guidance to expand their photography.

Just as in all the forums, the thread of responses give different perspectives to the OP's question, and almost always help many more people with the same question at the same time.

This "knowledge multiplier" effect is very powerful by itself, but, even more, the shared values naturally promote members to gradually take over and help answer questions themselves as their skills grow. And so the community becomes self-sustaining and, hopefully, not too much work for any one contributor, and the discussions adapt to new technologies effortlessly.

I can't imagine learning so much, so quickly and enjoyably, with so much help from any other group - and that is the "problem" that Nikonians solves: Digital Photography is a complex topic which needs such a knowledge multiplier and sustainable community builder.

Nikonians seems to me to be an adaptive "perpetual motion" teaching machine for the advancement of digital photography.

Wordy, I know, and a bit wooly too, how about this:

If you want to "get" digital photography, then get a Nikonians membership. Learning unlimited.

tim

jhpani Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2007Tue 03-Apr-12 06:06 PM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 03-Apr-12 06:06 PM by jhpani

Cancun, MX

Hi there all

I think that almost everything has been said

but what I think is the ultimate problem solver would be the capabilities to communicate with lots of knowledgeable people that allow us to become far better human beings.

What I mean, is that the knowledge is out there, even in non-nikonians sites, but the "humanship", friendliness and caring of my fellow nikonians is what makes us stay in here year in and year out.

so to sum it up, I would say there is not a top problem being solved, it is a TOP community evolving and becoming greater.

and yes I want the strap.... LOL

Humberto´s, proud nikonian in Cancun, Mexico

"The important thing is never to stop questioning."~Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."~Yoda

DSW90049 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2012Mon 23-Apr-12 02:56 PM
177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 25

Los Angeles, US

1- Peer support and mentoring 24/7, regardless of the issues;
2- A place to ask questions and to obtain answers from those whose knowledge and experience is unquestionable, and who are most generous about sharing it;
3- Keeping abreast of new developments, new products, as fast as they are released, or even rumored;
4- Seeing the photographic work of others and having yours critiqued in a supportive and constructive community way;
5- A way to manage one's own NAS levels - an incurable disease; a monster which we occasionally must feed, or at least negotiate with, when it rears its head;
6- Real life reviews of cameras, lenses, tripods, software and the myriad of other technologies which are all barreling ahead into the 21stC as fast, or faster than, we can keep up with them;
7- Sharing stories, anecedotes, complaints, gripes, grudges, and commentaries about experiences that can really help in learning and improving your own photographic skills;
8- One place in cyberspace where literally everything that you want to know about any product labeled 'Nikon,' is gathered together, from 'how to' and other extremely helpful articles, to demonstrating the kinds of photos which these products, and more importantly, photographer members here, are capable of making;
9- A place to commiserate about spouses, kids and loved ones, who may not share our love for photography and Nikon equipment, and to strategize about pushing the envelope so as to get what you want/need and still stay married/friends - or, at least to have a clearer conscience about it all, and;
10- Sharing conversation, and sometimes a good laugh, with Nikon enthusiasts and photographers located all over the world, all in real time.

kartane Registered since 23rd Apr 2012Thu 26-Apr-12 03:09 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Top 10 problems the community solve for members"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Meaningful topic titles and keep them short. Make your link stand out from the poorly written. ie "New member" title in the 'New Member' section is unhelpful.

"Start subheads, paragraphs, and bullet points with information-carrying words that users will notice when scanning down the left side of your content in the final stem of their F-behavior. They'll read the third word on a line much less often than the first two words."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/reading_pattern.html

"Testing how well people understand a link's first 11 characters shows whether sites write for users, who typically scan rather than read lists of items."
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/nanocontent.html

Maybe off topic but it would help people answer the questions quicker if people wrote for the web.

Check out Jakob Nielsen's site:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80742 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.