nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80695
View in linear mode

Subject: "Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link" Previous topic | Next topic
JDuchene Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2005Thu 22-Mar-12 11:05 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"

Mahomet, US

I am not sure the best place to post so if I am off pleaser relocate. These images are amazing in color, range and IQ.

http://pavel-kosenko.livejournal.com/303194.html?thread=22669914

Enjoy. John

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link
Nikon32250 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2012
calamanthus
23rd Mar 2012
Ruahrc
23rd Mar 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
23rd Mar 2012
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
23rd Mar 2012
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
23rd Mar 2012
PerroneFord Silver Member
23rd Mar 2012
Omaha
23rd Mar 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
23rd Mar 2012
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Mar 2012
Roland DG
23rd Mar 2012
JDuchene Silver Member
24th Mar 2012
cepwin Silver Member
24th Mar 2012

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Fri 23-Mar-12 02:53 AM
3640 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Augustine, US

I don't see any images there.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

calamanthus Registered since 07th Mar 2012Fri 23-Mar-12 03:12 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 1

AU

Great, thanks for the link.

Visit my gallery

Ruahrc Registered since 09th Jul 2007Fri 23-Mar-12 05:00 AM
1267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

Ann Arbor, US

Fascinating images. One thing I notice is that virtually nobody is wearing protective equipment in those factories. I don't see a single pair of safety goggles in sight .

What always gets me about these, is how "modern" things look in these photos. I think it is because most photos from this era we see are B+W, but when you see them in color, they are that much more real and lifelike. The people here just look like actors in period clothes.

Also these photos are great to study in terms of photographic lighting.

I remember once finding a link with a similar collection of color WWII photos, and it was amazing to see. I couldn't find the link I had seen before, but here is another link with a bunch of photos, some of the duplicates from the above link, or clearly taken from the same shoots.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/08/world-war-ii-the-american-home-front-in-color/100122/

Norman

Some of my pictures

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 23-Mar-12 09:03 AM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

> The people here just look like actors in period clothes.

To a certain degree I think they were. Especially the women are dressed well, as if they were going to take the train or go for an evening out. If you look at less posed images (these must be given ISO 10 and some of the dark environments), the clothing at the factories wasn't so smart. (And why would it be, given so much more manual labor in those days?) Even the railroaders in actual railroad garb are wearing exceptionally clean examples.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 23-Mar-12 08:59 AM
26952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

And don't forget that Kodachrome was ISO 10 in those days! Some of those are in environments I know pretty well, such as the railroad scenes. Those are hard to shoot today on digital, so getting them done well on a 4x5 at ISO 10 really took some work. It's pretty obvious he wasn't shooting at f/1, too.

Thanks for sharing.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 23-Mar-12 01:05 PM
10915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Given the low ISO, large DOF, I'd love to know their lighting techniques. There's some rim and secondary lighting going on, but how they synched it and at what ratio calcs is something of interest to me...

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Fri 23-Mar-12 02:02 PM
2666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 6

Tallahassee, US

>Given the low ISO, large DOF, I'd love to know their lighting
>techniques. There's some rim and secondary lighting going on,
>but how they synched it and at what ratio calcs is something
>of interest to me...

Continuous lighting was pretty available. After all, it was the heyday of Hollywood.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Fri 23-Mar-12 02:39 PM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Those are awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Fri 23-Mar-12 02:59 PM
3640 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 8

St. Augustine, US

I agree that the lighting is amazing. Some of them have almost have the appearance of today's digital HDR images. It would be very interesting to learn exactly how the photographers set them up. If they were using ISO 10 chrome then wouldn't the shutter speeds have been very slow? And yet there is no sign of any movement by the workers as they were being photographed.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 23-Mar-12 06:34 PM
6669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks John, I really enjoyed viewing those.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Roland DG Registered since 13th Feb 2012Fri 23-Mar-12 06:43 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I'm speechless, FANTASTIC, those kind of images just can't be duplicated with any digital camera..

Thanks for the great link..

Bob

JDuchene Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2005Sat 24-Mar-12 02:50 AM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 24-Mar-12 02:52 AM by JDuchene

Mahomet, US

I'm glad you all enjoyed the link. On the D800 forum there is a great video of Jim Brandenburge disscussing his experience with the D800 he previewed. He said it had the quality of a 4X5 and I had his comments in mind when I posted this link. John

cepwin Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Mar 2012Sat 24-Mar-12 03:18 AM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Kodachrome 4 X 5 images from WWII link"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Unbelievable. It is true....we're so used to seeing only b+w images that I think we almost forget that the world was not b+w back then Absolutely fascinating.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80695 Previous topic | Next topic