Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..." Search result list | Previous match | Next match
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-12 01:40 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
Mon 27-Feb-12 04:39 PM by Covey22

US

...especially since the phone's primary display screen is a relatively paltry and low-res 360x640! You can't even appreciate the resolving power of the image until you offload it. Of course, the target audience is most likely NOT going to post-process it but instead directly upload to a social media or into e-mail. Presumably, the onboard logic is smart enough to downsize the photos before allowing transmission.

http://mashable.com/2012/02/27/nokia-808-pureview/

Edited to add - looks like they got some bragging rights - with a sensor close to the size of the CX on the Nikon J1/V1!

http://www.engadget.com/photos/nokia-808-pureview-first-sample-shots/#4847871

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues...
mwhals Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
Covey22 Moderator
27th Feb 2012
esantos Moderator
27th Feb 2012
Covey22 Moderator
27th Feb 2012
LMMiller9 Silver Member
27th Feb 2012
Covey22 Moderator
27th Feb 2012
Antero52 Silver Member
28th Feb 2012

mwhals Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2004Mon 27-Feb-12 05:43 PM
1644 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 0

Winfield, US

A D200 is better than any mobile phone 10 mp camera, so I say the D800 will still be better than the 41 mp mobile phone camera.

I will note that those two people in the sample images are NUTS! There is no way you will see me hanging on the side of a mountain.

Shoot nature with respect and don't trample it or startle its inhabitants.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-12 05:50 PM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 27-Feb-12 05:51 PM by Covey22

US

Being a former "nuts" person (you'd find me hanging off the White Mountains in NH until real life and responsibilities caught up to me) - they're quite the showoff - esp. the gent hanging with one hand while he's casually chalking up the other for his next handhold. I could never do a single point hold on a good day and I was always taught to have at least three points of good hold - the safety rope and nearest piton point don't count!

Having just finished evaluating a J1 for another enthusiast site, I have to say that the Nokia's results are very impressive if they are even close to out-of-camera/phone and the sensor sizes are indeed comparable.

One problem - the phone's display is a relatively paltry 300x600 or so - you can't even begin to appreciate the photos until you download them somewhere and view on a larger display.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 27-Feb-12 06:47 PM
11510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Of course, the target audience is most likely NOT going to post-process it but instead directly upload to a social media or into e-mail.

Do that a few times and if you are on AT&T you'll get throttled.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-12 07:36 PM
#5. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yep - the phone apparently automatically (or at user discretion) downsizes the images into 8MP or lower increments. But it does automagically enforces a downsizing. Heck, think about the average phone user - they have at least a hundred photos they keep on the camera, period. And these are the folks who don't usually file manage but just keep the photos on their SIM or XD card and migrate from phone to phone.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

LMMiller9 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2005Mon 27-Feb-12 06:50 PM
1089 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

How in the world can you make good use of that many mxpxls with a crummy little lens? Once you are over around 12mp the lens determines the quality of the photo more than the sensor.

Now lets see them put a 70-200/2.8/VRII on that baby!

Larry Miller, Potomac, MD
DF/D800
http://www.pbase.com/lmmiller9
http://lmmillerphotography.smugmug.com/

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 27-Feb-12 07:42 PM
#6. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 4

US

I don't know that Zeiss would allow it to be branded as such if it's a crummy little lens. Then again, the photos from Engadget link speak for themselves. If that's a crummy little lens, let's get it on my pre-paid no-contract Android. I'm ready!

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Tue 28-Feb-12 06:28 PM
2495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Smartphone with 41MP camera - The Madness Continues..."
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Because the thingy was designed by Finns, it has aroused great interest here. Based on what I have gathered from the press and various blogs, the idea was never to advertise this as a 41-megapixel camera. Instead the idea was to drop the current champion of smartphone cameras, Nokia N8, to the second place. And this is what they did.

What the new Nokia thing does is massive downsampling, at different ratios, after capture. At the wide-angle settings, when the entire sensor area is used, the downsampling can be as high as 7 to 1. At tele settings, when only a small portion of the sensor is used, the downsampling is lower or skipped entirely. The resulting images are about 5 Mp in size, but the quality is excellent, at least for a smartphone. The idea is to make the best possible digital zoom for a camera without optical zoom. When the Nokia N8 was announced, over a year ago, a photography-related web site showed pictures taken with the Nokia N8 and some real pocket-sized cameras side by side, and the audience voted the Nokia pictures best of the bunch. The new Nokia 808 is reportedly much better than the previous smartphone camera champion.

Regards, Antero

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #80142Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.