Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #78599
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist" Previous topic | Next topic
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSat 07-Jan-12 11:29 AM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"

Philadelphia, US

In all the hoopla surrounding the D4 intro, we missed paying attention that one of the greats of photojournalism died; Eve Arnold.

I suspect, despite knowing her work, few have ever heard of Arnold. The work I speak of, for example, included her iconic series of Marilyn Monroe on the set of "The Misfits," Monroe's last film (She actually photographed Monroe for many years and we've all seen those photos.), her series of Malcolm X, an older Joan Crawford at the twilight of her career, Jacqueline Kennedy in the White House, her China series and Queen Elizabeth.

Her finest work, however, in my opinion, was of ordinary people working and living, and of politicians making their mark. She has a series of Margaret Thatcher, unlike any other photographer's.

She was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but for most of her adult life called England her home.

She began shooting in the 1940's studying under Harper's Bazaar art director Alexey Brodovitch at the New School for Social Research in Manhattan, and by 1951 she began working for the Magnum Photos Agency on a freelance basis. She became a full member of the group in 1957. Magnum is the agency founded by Henri Cartier-Bresson and Robert Capa, considered to be the greatest reportage photographers of their time.

Her work and her doggedness at avoiding "women's assignments" helped open up the business to women.

We really lost a great photographer this past week.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist
Scotty Silver Member
10th Jan 2012
avm247 Moderator
10th Jan 2012
Ned_L Moderator
10th Jan 2012
Ned_L Moderator
10th Jan 2012
avm247 Moderator
10th Jan 2012

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 10-Jan-12 06:31 PM
4817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Indeed we did Ned - a great photographer and a true inspiration to us all...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 10-Jan-12 07:23 PM
18362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Thank you, Ned, for posting this. I'm sure I have seen a number of her images, especially Margaret Thatcher (what can I say, good bad or indifferent, PM Thatcher was a force to be reckoned with).

I will have to research more of her work.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 10-Jan-12 08:00 PM
6595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

You're welcome.

Anthony, you might want to start your research about Arnold at the below link to some of her work at Magnum Photos. I know you've seen some of them.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=ViewBox&ALID=2K7O3R14AYQ2&IT=ThumbImage01_VForm&CT=Album

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 10-Jan-12 08:21 PM
#4. "RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

CNN just posted a retrospective on some of Arnold's work.

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/10/remembering-legendary-photographer-eve-arnold/?hpt=hp_c2

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 10-Jan-12 08:28 PM
18362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eve Arnold died - a great American Photojournalist"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 10-Jan-12 08:29 PM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Thanks for the links, Ned.

Iconic images.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #78599 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.