Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #774
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Vertical Limit" gaffe?" Previous topic | Next topic
shorbo Basic MemberTue 12-Dec-00 01:52 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Vertical Limit" gaffe?"

Redmond, US

Saw "Vertical Limit" last night - great movie, by the way, particularly if you're into adventure sports. But did I spot Peter Garrett, who's a National Geographic photographer in the movie, unloading a roll of Kodak Max film from his F5? Er... how many National Geographic photographers do you know who use consumer print film? I'm completely convinved it was Kodak Max and not T-Max - somebody else please tell me I was not hullucinating...

Shorbo
http://www.shorbo.com

Sarbajit "Shorbo" Banerjea
http://www.shorbo.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shorbo

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberTue 12-Dec-00 03:09 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Vertical Limit" gaffe?"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

The trailers show high speed self-arrests using ice axes that would severely dislocate shoulders, at the very least. And that flying leap? Yeah, that looks like a real climbing move. From what I've read, a minor gaffe with a Kodak prop is the least of this film's transgressions on realism, but that's Hollywood.

The fact that you could read the Kodak logo and type of film means Kodak paid $$$ for a product placement. Nikon probably did too. The placement is targeted at selling product, not necessarily accuracy.

The most blatant use of product placements I've seen recently is in the comically bad film "Mission to Mars". In the first five minutes there are half a dozen obnoxious shots featuring products and logos, including beer in little cartons like kid's juice drinks come in. Unfortunately, the film goes downhill from there...

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 24-Jan-01 06:19 PM
34635 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Vertical Limit" gaffe?"
In response to Reply # 1

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I finally had a chance to see the movie Vertical Limit.
Yes, many "inaccuracies" but it is an assistant (sherpa?) the one that pops out and drops to the ground a Kodak MAX roll, out of a Nikon F5 body(!), while the "photographer" is taking great shots of snow leopard cubs playing, with another F5 body and a monster lens, probably a 600mm f/4 or maybe longer.
Too bad they did not ask us, we could have probably recommended at least a Kodak Supra 800 roll. But then, the targeted consumer would have not known what was the subliminal message all about, eh?
Anyway, the film kept my interest on the edge of the chair either because of the action or because of the "French-Canadian" that ends in the lap of the protagonist. Amazing how a woman can master a universe with one single bite of her own lower lip.
Have a great time
JRP
My profile
Previous photography stuff, before Nikonians:
A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #774 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.