Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #69329
View in linear mode

Subject: "D700 and the Apple Iphone G4" Previous topic | Next topic
Windy Vision Registered since 01st Jul 2004Thu 02-Sep-10 04:47 PM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
Thu 02-Sep-10 05:23 PM by Windy Vision

Terry, US

First, I love my D700, D200, D70 and all of the nice and expensive lenses that I have been able to acquire. After saying that it is a real eye opener to see how well the new phone cameras especially the Apple IPhone can produce such good images. Is this the new future in cameras? In 5 to 10 years will cameras like the DSLR be the thing of the past? I have seen some very nice images captured with the new IPhones. I took almost 14 pounds of camera gear to a pro baseball game and was able to capture some very nice images; however, those little camera phones are the norm now days. I see fewer and fewer 35mm like cameras and smaller camera phones. I do good novice work and I do not yet have a camera phone but at certain times those little gadgets seem to be the “IN” thing, easy, covenant and easy to conceal and carry. I guess you can not stop progress or is this progress? Not nearly ready to sell my good Nikon gear for a new IPhone but just amazed what new products are introduced every year. My first camera was a little black box Brownie followed by a 110 instamatic. Changes in the tech world are so fast any more. I made a portrait of my brother using the D700 and my beloved 85mm f/1.4; it was a very good image. I sent it to him and he has a $1.95 Apple App on his IPhone that enhanced the image as well as I could have using any PS plug in that cost nearly $100.00. I am not frustrated just amazed. Is there any one else feeling the same?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4
rectangularimage Silver Member
02nd Sep 2010
Scotty Silver Member
02nd Sep 2010
yelcab
03rd Sep 2010
KnightPhoto Gold Member
07th Sep 2010
olivierrychner Gold Member
03rd Sep 2010
smb_ohio
07th Sep 2010
rectangularimage Silver Member
07th Sep 2010
robcran Silver Member
07th Sep 2010
jbloom Gold Member
08th Sep 2010
yelcab
09th Sep 2010
jbloom Gold Member
09th Sep 2010
yelcab
10th Sep 2010

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Thu 02-Sep-10 08:17 PM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

>In 5 to 10 years will cameras like the DSLR be the thing of the past?

I think it's more difficult to frame/follow moving things and action looking at a little screen than it is to do so with a SLR style viewfinder. And I don't see that changing. So I think the SLR style will be around a while. But it will be vastly outnumbered by pocket camera devices (in cellphones, iPods, as well as credit-card sized cameras).

There's still a few people using 8x10 view cameras (and there's still companies manufacturing them).

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 02-Sep-10 09:02 PM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

they gotta do something about the delay - i just hate the shutter lag on all d-compacts i have ever used (including my phone which gives me 5mb images and a zeiss lens...)

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Fri 03-Sep-10 02:55 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 2

San carlos, US

I got a Nikon, I have an iPhone4, I like my Nikon better. In 10 years, I will still like my Nikon better.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 07-Sep-10 02:58 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

FujiFilm is headed in the right direction with in-sensor phase-detect AF. Aside from live-view carefully controlled (and possibly magnified) contrast detect AF, I won't miss it.

Thom intimates Nikon is headed down the sensor-embedded phase-detect pixels route in the D4/D400. I for one look forward to a number of possible advantages including the ability to set the AF sensor anywhere in the frame. Current FX is somewhat constrained.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

olivierrychner Gold Member  Awarded for his long standing high level of commitment to the Nikonians community and demonstrated excellence in the art and science of photography. Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2005Fri 03-Sep-10 05:33 AM
4925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

I won't comment on the trend towards those small machines, because last time I made a prediction, it was in autumn 2002 and I predicted that nothing whatsoever would replace a well-exposed slide. I'm now going to my third DSLR and sixth digital camera in total

But I'm going to say that the camera you or I use will vary greatly according to the final output of the image. Yes, an iPhone can certainly take a good image for web-browsing. But when you're thinking of large prints, then your DSLR will be better. Whan you're thinking of low-light photos, take your D700. And as one of my predecessors in this thread pointed, for action photos there is still nothing really better than a DSLR!

What I see as certain to happen, because it is happening now as we speak, is that the quality of the images produced by those little things will greatly improve. It is improving. I don't have a smartphone such as the iPhone4, but I have seen the first images taken with my old Motorola: I could have played chess on the huge pixels of that 4 x 6 inches! My present SonyEricsson makes presentable 6 x 9 inches...

Cheerio

Olivier Rychner

Auta i lomë! And my Nikon's only awaiting daylight...

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Tue 07-Sep-10 06:05 PM
1290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 4

Canton, US

And also consider that the extremely short focal length of those "telephone cameras" makes it impossible to isolate a subject from the background or do many other creative effects.

I see camera phones replacing the compact p&s cameras, but certainly not replacing dslrs and quality lenses.

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Tue 07-Sep-10 11:38 PM
1110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 6

San Diego, US

>And also consider that the extremely short focal length of
>those "telephone cameras" makes it impossible to
>isolate a subject from the background or do many other
>creative effects.
>
That's a good point. Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of some moderately famous photographer (don't remember who) who was saying how good small P&S cameras had become except for the fact that you're always stuck with a very deep depth of field.

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

robcran Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 07-Sep-10 11:52 PM
805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 0

Westleigh, AU

In my mind I am cross-linking this discussion with past threads on Nikonians about overzealous police and security officials harassing photographers simply because they are holding a (professional) DSLR. These new devices make that situation even more ludicrous than ever.
Robert
Sydney Nikonian

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 08-Sep-10 04:44 PM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

The camera in the iPhone 4 is very good at capturing the kinds of photos a cell-phone camera is typically used for: snapshots.

I just got back from a bicycle trip where I eschewed the DSLR I had taken on previous trips, instead using an iPhone 4 as my principal camera. (I had a Canon P&S along, too, just in case, but I hardly used it.)

That was a somewhat extreme situation where I wanted to minimize weight and size, but the point is that I decided the iPhone was good enough for the vacation-snap type photos I wanted to capture. However, next week when I'm out on the football fields shooting HS football, the iPhone will not the the camera I'm using, and I don't see that changing any time in the near future. The player isolation of a long, fast lens is something no small lens can match. (Of course, someone will probably create a "blur the background" app for the iPhone -- if they haven't already.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Thu 09-Sep-10 01:25 AM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 9

San carlos, US

your demand for vacation quality is too low. I bring 20 lbs of equipment with me to my vacation and I come back with lots of pictures. I enlarge them to 16x20 and display them around the house and the office. My last Hongkong trip I took just my iphone4 and I was sorry.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 09-Sep-10 11:49 AM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 10

Wethersfield, US

To each their own. Most of my trips involve the full suite of photography gear, but it's nice occasionally to take a trip without it.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Fri 10-Sep-10 04:45 AM
#12. "RE: D700 and the Apple Iphone G4"
In response to Reply # 11

San carlos, US

>To each their own. Most of my trips involve the full suite of
>photography gear, but it's nice occasionally to take a trip
>without it.
>
I do take trips without gears and always feel bad. Maybe a D700 and the new 28-300VR would fit the bill as a one camera travel kit when things are not serious

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #69329 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.