Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #63684
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rumor has it...." Previous topic | Next topic
Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 03:01 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rumor has it...."

US

www.NikonRumors.com has it that Nikon will be launching something special (D700x???) that will make Canon shooters sell their gear based on info received from a Canon shooter from his blog post http://christianfletcher.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/hot-nikon-news/

I am privy to some pretty cool news for Nikon users, that cool in fact that I might have lots of Canon gear going cheap. Can’t spread the news yet but let’s just say it will be tipping the scales in nikons favour.

Albert J Valentino
Nikonian Moderator Emeritus

Vantage Point Images
Mastery of Composition is the Key to Great Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rumor has it....
ahhbeebee
04th Sep 2009
Valentino Gold Member
04th Sep 2009
KMud
04th Sep 2009
Valentino Gold Member
04th Sep 2009
KMud
04th Sep 2009
EpicDan Silver Member
12th Sep 2009
ahhbeebee
04th Sep 2009
Martin Turner Moderator
04th Sep 2009
jbloom Gold Member
04th Sep 2009
blw Moderator
04th Sep 2009
yelcab
04th Sep 2009
Valentino Gold Member
04th Sep 2009
blw Moderator
04th Sep 2009
Valentino Gold Member
04th Sep 2009
Drbee Silver Member
05th Sep 2009
ZoneV Silver Member
05th Sep 2009
rickpaul
05th Sep 2009
Gordy
12th Sep 2009
bikinchris Silver Member
16th Sep 2009
Reply message D3s
Valentino Gold Member
19th Sep 2009
Reply message RE: D3s
Drbee Silver Member
19th Sep 2009
Valentino Gold Member
19th Sep 2009
jbloom Gold Member
21st Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
19th Sep 2009
DrJay32 Gold Member
21st Sep 2009
Gordy
22nd Sep 2009
smb_ohio
22nd Sep 2009
Ed911 Silver Member
28th Sep 2009
Nhelgren
22nd Sep 2009
jbloom Gold Member
23rd Sep 2009
arthurjs
23rd Sep 2009
mkosanovich
28th Sep 2009
wmkaye
30th Sep 2009
Gros Ventre Silver Member
28th Sep 2009
Rich Mc Silver Member
30th Sep 2009
arthurjs
30th Sep 2009
ZoneV Silver Member
01st Oct 2009
yelcab
01st Oct 2009
jbloom Gold Member
01st Oct 2009
smb_ohio
01st Oct 2009
yelcab
01st Oct 2009
smb_ohio
02nd Oct 2009
wmkaye
03rd Oct 2009
smb_ohio
04th Oct 2009
mkosanovich
04th Oct 2009
yelcab
04th Oct 2009
smb_ohio
05th Oct 2009
Nhelgren
05th Oct 2009
Rich Mc Silver Member
06th Oct 2009
yelcab
06th Oct 2009
smb_ohio
06th Oct 2009
Nhelgren
06th Oct 2009
William Symonds
07th Oct 2009
ianspector
27th Nov 2009
William Symonds
27th Nov 2009
ianspector
27th Nov 2009
William Symonds
27th Nov 2009
ianspector
27th Nov 2009
William Symonds
27th Nov 2009
ZoneV Silver Member
12th Oct 2009
MstrBones Silver Member
13th Oct 2009
KnightPhoto Gold Member
14th Oct 2009

ahhbeebee Registered since 01st Dec 2006Fri 04-Sep-09 03:10 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

I'm not much of a speculator and I don't have the most taxing demands of my gear, but are there really advancements that could be made that would blow up the world of imaging?

Perhaps there will be 2-3 stop of DR improvement, more cleaner megapixels. Obviously these type of improvements would be of benefit, but aren't we already at a point where the top quality equipment is only resulting in marginal benefits?

--
Sampson

Visit my gallery.

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 03:22 PM
11613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 04-Sep-09 03:24 PM by Valentino

US

aren't we already at a point where the top quality equipment is only resulting in marginal benefits?

Aside from ISO differences in Fx vs. Dx this is true, but the future holds possibilites that may offer a quantum leap. I personally foresee some type of quantum sensor design way down the road that will offer a signal to noise raio an entire magnitude better than today, extended dynamic range, and also the ability to dial in the wavelenght/energy sensitivity like IR mode, UV mode, or other select or wide sensitivity to the electromagnetic spectrum.

Of course one would likely need to have deep pockets to be the first kid on the block to get one of these things. Just remember, about 100 years ago the head of US Patent Office made a statment that the patent office may need to be close since everything that can be invented has been invented -- the biggest understatement of the 20th century!!!

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

KMud Registered since 14th Jan 2009Fri 04-Sep-09 06:31 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 2

GB

>Aside from ISO differences in Fx vs. Dx this is true, but the
>future holds possibilites that may offer a quantum leap. I
>personally foresee some type of quantum sensor design way down
>the road that will offer a signal to noise raio an entire
>magnitude better than today, extended dynamic range, and also
>the ability to dial in the wavelenght/energy sensitivity like
>IR mode, UV mode, or other select or wide sensitivity to the
>electromagnetic spectrum.

Are you able to give more information or are you just speculating? Perhaps your knowledge of quantum physics is better than mine (likely).

I recently read a paper* that says the dark end of a good exposure on a typical SLR is of the order of around 20 photons, of which maybe 6 get through the Bayer filter. Since noise is approximately the square-root of the photon count (so root(6)), that's ~6±2.5 photons. Of course I've paraphrased a simplified case and each stop of range ups the photon count massively, but it's a fundamental limit on shadow-detail that I don't understand how you can get around.

*http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_2/Physical_Limits_2.pdf

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 06:52 PM
#6. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Are you able to give more information or are you just speculating?

Pure speculation.

Perhaps your knowledge of quantum physics is better than mine (likely)....I recently read a paper* that says the dark end of a good exposure on a typical SLR is of the order of around 20 photons, of which maybe 6 get through the Bayer filter. Since noise is...

I can that about the photon count. Data is recored linearly then converted to what we see. So each section of the histogram, if you break it up to about 8 equal sections represents 2x the amount of data from the section before it, exactly like stops.

I used to work with many different types of detectors long ago. Some designs were significantly better to record low signal with a better S/N ratio. If I dust off my old masters thesis I will see pictures of the same material (sample) but each image had the detector tuned to record a specific part of the spectrum so I had a map of the iron distribution,titanium, magnesium... I worked in the field of X-ray and Electron diffraction for 8 years and with detectors designed to capture different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum. So I do believe that we are far from peaking in terms of what detectors can do. But, we may be peaking for what a Bayer pattern detector can do. The idea of quantum computers has been around for a while which would be 1,000 faster than what we have today. Hopefully that will become a reality soon so we can keep up with processing files in the megapixel race

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

KMud Registered since 14th Jan 2009Fri 04-Sep-09 07:57 PM
389 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Yeah, I'm doing a doctrate which revolves around use of mid/far IR cameras so I'm fairly well informed...what's interesting is how long it has taken us to get this far with silicon, with the exotic sensors we need for longer wavelengths the fabrication process is nowhere near as developed.

EpicDan Silver Member Charter MemberSat 12-Sep-09 09:15 PM
702 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 4

St. Paul, US

Ben, thanks for the PDF link. It took a few reads to get some of the finer points. In the end it looks like Nikon has pushed to about the Nth on capturing shadow detail. If the analysis is correct then Nikon will be working on more dynamic range or larger sesors (MF?). Either/both would be cool.

Daniel

Daniel McGowan
Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ahhbeebee Registered since 01st Dec 2006Fri 04-Sep-09 07:45 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 2

Calgary, CA

I wonder if this is a Nikon manufactured sensor? The were those rumblings back when about a Nikon MF-sized sensor. Maybe this could be something special they've been ruminating about and perfecting for 1-2 years?

Lets just hope any new technologies trickle down into the more affordable gear quickly

--
Sampson

Visit my gallery.

Martin Turner Moderator Expert professional PJ & PR photographer Nikonian since 19th Jun 2006Fri 04-Sep-09 10:37 PM
4523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 1

Bidford on Avon, GB

Actually, a D700X with the same specs in terms of sensor as the D3X, but otherwise the same specs (including frame speed!!!) of the D700, would certainly be on my shopping list, if it was around £2,500. Such a camera would be plenty robust enough for the studio, which is the only place I would really want to work with such resolution (of course, others have other needs).

M A R T I N • T U R N E R
http://art.martinturner.org.uk
http://www.martinturner.org.uk

Nikonians membership: my most important photographic investment, after the camera

My Nikonians blog, Learning from the Portrait Masters, http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_turner/

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 05:37 PM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

I guess it won't interest me since I don't have any Canon gear to sell.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 06:35 PM
26572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

LOL!

So this chap is saying that there's a Mutiny brewing in the Canon camp? And that there may be much Bounty for Nikon?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Fri 04-Sep-09 08:55 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 5

San carlos, US

Talk is cheap !

Let's see some real Nikon releases!

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 10:08 PM
#10. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 9

US

Talk is cheap, and affordable compared to whatever might be on the horizon. Perhaps medium format, MF bodies!!!

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 10:36 PM
26572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Clearly nobody associated the name of the author (Christian Fletcher) with the Mutiny on the Bounty... (I'm sure there is no relation, it's just humorous.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Fri 04-Sep-09 10:13 PM
#11. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 04-Sep-09 10:14 PM by Valentino

US

Perhaps they will have a "Cash for Canons", I mean "Cash for Cameras" program offering rebates for those Canon Clunkers that trade 'up' to a spanking new Nikon D700X with 21MP, video, new and improved sensor for ground breaking high density ISO, 100% view, all at a price that competes with Canon before those rebates.

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sat 05-Sep-09 02:42 PM
5711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 11

Naperville, US

LOL, ""Cash for Canons", I mean "Cash for Cameras" program ", now you have my attention.....

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Sat 05-Sep-09 12:39 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

From one Al to another:

Who knows. It'd be cool to have a D700x with the D3x sensor in the lineup.

But one thing is for sure: it will probably be priced in between the D3 and D700, and will likely have a smaller buffer and slower shooting rate than the D3x. But if the image quality is there, that is what matters most. I would guess we will know within a month or two.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

rickpaul Basic MemberSat 05-Sep-09 11:54 PM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

Everyone keeps speculating on a 24 MP D700X, but frankly, I don't expect that until we see a D4 with some other leap-frog technology.

The world keeps asking for increased Dynamic Range, so I can't imagine this is something they all aren't working hard on.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Gordy Registered since 24th Apr 2006Sat 12-Sep-09 10:40 PM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Follow-up comments by Christian lead one to think he is refering to the supposedly 'leaked' Nikon roadmap which people agree to be a fake. I guess time will tell.

bikinchris Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2004Wed 16-Sep-09 02:54 AM
859 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 18

Broussard, US

I really didn't see anything on that (admittedly faked) roadmap to make any Canon shooter jump ship.

Chris
Broussard, LA
http://www.eaglewheel.us/Photo%20Index.htm
My Nikonians Gallery

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Sat 19-Sep-09 12:15 AM
#20. "D3s"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Sep-09 03:42 PM by Valentino

US

The laterst rumor is a D3s for announcement next month/October. The big change would be 14fps and HD video.
http://nikonrumors.com/category/nikon-d3s

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sat 19-Sep-09 02:08 PM
5711 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D3s"
In response to Reply # 20

Naperville, US

Albert,

My brain processed 14fps as related to 14-bit capture and I just skipped on. Yesterday, while doing some "winterizing" on my house, it hit me that we're talking about 14 frames per second - how do they do that! I'm really interested to see the sports shooters reaction to 14fps.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?
"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment."

Valentino Gold Member Awarded for high level skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 04th Dec 2004Sat 19-Sep-09 03:48 PM
#23. "RE: D3s"
In response to Reply # 22

US

it hit me that we're talking about 14 frames per second - how do they do that! I'm really interested to see the sports shooters reaction to 14fps.

Well keep in mind this just a rumor. Also, 14fps for how long? You would need a really fast card and a really big buffer and really fast shutter speeds to shoot more than 2 seconds. It could be that 14fps is the spec for small jpegs like the D200 battery spec was 2000 files and the fine print was jpeg small, limited VR use and image viewing while the real number was closer to 300 NEFs before the battery died. Marketing is often based on the 'more is better'

Aside from all this, 14fps is really fast and I for one doubt I would even need that rate

Albert J Valentino

Vantage Point Images

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 21-Sep-09 08:02 AM
6101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D3s"
In response to Reply # 22

Wethersfield, US

As a sports shooter, I'm not that enthused by 14 fps. I guess if I had it I'd turn it on; memory cards are cheap. But 9 fps is adequate, and a faster frame rate is nowhere on my wish list.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 19-Sep-09 09:51 AM
25661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

So the big question is: What body with what features at what price?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DrJay32 Gold Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions for the Resources and eZine Nikonian since 12th Mar 2003Mon 21-Sep-09 10:41 PM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

If I were a Canon shooter *shudder*, then a D700x would be about the only thing that *might* make me switch. Why? Canon's FF offerings are bi-polar-- you have the expensive 1DsIII (which may or may not be able to focus properly), and then you have the 5DII, which is a great sensor in a crippled body.

The D700 is 90% of a D3, at a competitive price. Pro AF, pro build, and a sensor that will go down as being legendary.

Nikon has come on strong in the sports/PJ market with the D3; then they made the ultimate all-purpose body in the D700. I have no idea if they will announce a D700x, but it seems pretty obvious that they would want something to compete with the 5DII.

-Jason

Jason P. Odell
Colorado Nikonian
Author, The Photographer's Guide series of eBooks
Capture NX, Capture NX 2, and now Nik Silver Efex Pro

www.luminescentphoto.com

Read my blog

Listen to The Image Doctors

Gordy Registered since 24th Apr 2006Tue 22-Sep-09 10:54 AM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 25

AU

Hopefully Nikon won't make us wait too long for a D700X, it's the most obvious body they are missing from their line-up and if they did release one they would have a very solid line-up in the high-end range.

Nikon have a plethora of 12MP bodies to choose from but only one very expensive high MP body, it would make sense they'd want to capitalise on the quality of the D3X sensor in more marketable body. I just hope Nikon don't leave their run too long and miss the opportunity of presented to them from the success of their other recent releases.

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Tue 22-Sep-09 06:12 PM
1290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Rumor has it...."

Canton, US

Of course, Nikon could score a coup by offering a version of the D700 without the anti-alias filter (as in the new Leica), effectively increasing the resolution without blowing up file sizes or slowing down the camera.

Steve

A Nikonian in northeastern Ohio

http://stephen-bishop.com

Ed911 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Mon 28-Sep-09 02:10 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Rumor has it...."

US

I'm in agreement here. Ever since Canon introduced their 5D2, I've been waiting for Nikon to release a D700X...with of course some nice improved Nikon electronics as usual.

It's a consumer price point hole that Nikon has to fill. D700 vs 5D...and now the D700X vs the 5D2. It's just business. Although, in my opinion, the D700 is already a better camera than the 5D2 as it stands now. The D700 can deliver impeccably clean, well focused images up to 6400 ISO...something Canon has yet to do across the entire ISO scale with the 5D2.

If I had to guess, once Nikon releases it's next generation D7+ or D8+...there will be a lot of Canon shooters regretting buying the 5D2...not because they will want to switch from Canon to Nikon, but because Canon will soon follow with a 6D with better quality electronics, better layout, and a better focus system...and the new 5D2 owners will be stuck. Canon rushed the lame duck 5D2 into production in order to compete with Nikon's D700 offering. The current stop gap 5D2 is missing the refinements of a next generation issue...which will be on the 6D followup.

Just my opionion...we'll just have to wait and see what the future brings.

Have a nice day.

Nhelgren Registered since 20th Dec 2006Tue 22-Sep-09 09:13 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

Sammamish, US

I just received in the mail today, my D700 with my 24-85 nikkor lens, battery grip, and all the other related goodies(I even paid the extra $2 for the sour cream and guacamole). So rest assured my friends, if there was going to be an announcement anytime soon, it will be now since I have made my purchase. I have taken a bullet for all of you.

=====================
"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to take a picture, does it still produce an image?"

- Nathan

http://www.nikonians-images.com/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=119326

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Wed 23-Sep-09 02:23 AM
#29. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 28

Wethersfield, US

We appreciate your sacrifice, Nathan.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

arthurjs Registered since 23rd May 2007Wed 23-Sep-09 05:57 PM
315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 29

Worcester, US

I laugh at rumors like this, because once someone has invested in a system, be it Nikon or Canon, that is precisely what it is, a system. They are rarely, if ever, going to jump fence for another maker's system, based on what one camera has to offer. If that was the case, Nikon shooters would have been jumping fence a while ago for Canon when they were cramming too many megapixels onto a sensor. Did that happen? Not really.

And now, look at the Canon G11- less megapixels, better low light sensitivity. And maybe a trend that will start to hit their d-SLR's. I think they are starting to realize the megapixel wars are thankfully, coming to an end.

Yes, Canon is still playing the "too many megapixels" game, but now, less so. But, my point here is that an experienced shooter is likely going to stay with their chosen system, be it Canon, or be it Nikon.

A

D300, D40, FE2, F3HP, N80, Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 18-55, 55-200, 18-200, 50mm f/1.8D, 50mm f/1.8 AI, 28-50 f/3.5 Macro, 50-135 f/3.5 Macro, 135 f/2.8, 28-105 Macro,105mm f/2.8 Ai-S Sigma 70-300, Tamron 300mm, Nikon SB-400, 600, 800, SB-22S, MBD-10, MD-12, MD-4

mkosanovich Registered since 15th Mar 2009Mon 28-Sep-09 04:52 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 28

US

>I just received in the mail today, my D700 with my 24-85
>nikkor lens, battery grip, and all the other related goodies(I
>even paid the extra $2 for the sour cream and guacamole). So
>rest assured my friends, if there was going to be an
>announcement anytime soon, it will be now since I have made my
>purchase. I have taken a bullet for all of you.

My refusing to buy a D700 to replace my D300 but rather wait for a D700x means Nikon will NOT come out with one, means there will be no new announcement. Our two bullets cancel each other out.

I'm just concerned that Nikon keeps raising prices on everything and I will not be able to afford a 'next generation' camera.

wmkaye Registered since 26th Mar 2009Wed 30-Sep-09 02:30 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 32

US

>My refusing to buy a D700 to replace my D300 but rather wait
>for a D700x means Nikon will NOT come out with one, means
>there will be no new announcement. Our two bullets cancel
>each other out.
>
>I'm just concerned that Nikon keeps raising prices on
>everything and I will not be able to afford a 'next
>generation' camera.

I agree about price, the Cannon 5D2 is running at $3000, the D700 is
close to $2500, how can Nikon up the sensor and keep the price around $3000? Perhaps if they would market the D700x at cost and reap the profit in the increased sale of the high end FX lenses????

Gros Ventre Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2009Mon 28-Sep-09 05:10 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

My wish is for an inexpensive FX. It doesn't have to do anything fancy, just be light weight, shoot raw, work at 1/2000th and ASA 1000, have excellent resolution and cost about $1,000. Don't need a built in flash or ability to do movies - just a light weight back-up to the D3 and allow me to use all the D3 lenses and accessories when I want to travel light.

Rich Mc Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2004Wed 30-Sep-09 02:42 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 33

Long Beach, US

Ditto the above but I would buy it at $2000...after all there is now the Sony 850.

Rich Mc

arthurjs Registered since 23rd May 2007Wed 30-Sep-09 10:34 AM
315 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 35

Worcester, US

Nikons are always going to be at a bit of a premium, versus their competitor, who will usually cram megapixels in, at the expense of low light performance, and usually less rugged build quality.

There really will never be such a thing as a "stripped down" Nikon, certainly not at the FX level.

A

D300, D40, FE2, F3HP, N80, Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 18-55, 55-200, 18-200, 50mm f/1.8D, 50mm f/1.8 AI, 28-50 f/3.5 Macro, 50-135 f/3.5 Macro, 135 f/2.8, 28-105 Macro,105mm f/2.8 Ai-S Sigma 70-300, Tamron 300mm, Nikon SB-400, 600, 800, SB-22S, MBD-10, MD-12, MD-4

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 01-Oct-09 02:02 AM
3477 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0

US

We may be getting a new Nikkor 35/1.4 AF-S along with the D3s on October 15th. I'm surprised that Nikon rumors hasn't said much about which lenses are going to be introduced yet. I don't have any solid info on this, but I do have some scant info that leads me believe that Nikon will introduce two lenses on that day, and there is a good chance that one those two is going to be a 35/1.4 or a 24/1.4. Don't hold me to this though. Let's wait and see...

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Thu 01-Oct-09 04:25 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 37

San carlos, US

There is a stripped down Full frame camera. It is the Leica M9, and it is $6,000. So much for removing features !!!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 01-Oct-09 04:48 PM
#39. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 38

Wethersfield, US

Now if they would just remove the "Leica" name from it, it would probably cost more like $2,000.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Thu 01-Oct-09 05:31 PM
1290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 38

Canton, US

While I'm not a Leica owner, nor do I ever expect to be wealthy enough to be one; I do admire their design philosophy of taking away the fluff that we call "features" and producing easy to use, no-nonsense cameras with the highest image quality. Yes, they are way overpriced, but I do admire their attention to detail and quality.

Steve

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Thu 01-Oct-09 11:02 PM
#41. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 40

San carlos, US

I do admire Leica too, but it is a very limited use camera. If you are into sports, birds in flight, kids playing, cars motorcycle racing, wedding, low light rooms, then the Leica M9 is not for you. A nice Nikon D300/D3/D700 would be much better no matter what anybody tells you.

That leaves Leica for the light travel set who just takes pictures of stuff that is easy to focus and don't move around much. Nice idea but not for 90% of what I shoot.

And, Leica is way overpriced.

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Fri 02-Oct-09 08:46 AM
#42. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 41

Canton, US

Very true, the Leica (or any rangefinder camera) is not suited for sports, wildlife, or tele/macro. It's more of a niche camera, great for high quality images of static subjects with near normal focal length lenses, or where stealth is important. I would never have one as my primary camera, but I have to admit that it would be nice to have for carry-around use.

Steve

wmkaye Registered since 26th Mar 2009Sat 03-Oct-09 07:47 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#43. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 41

US

>I do admire Leica too, but it is a very limited use camera.
>If you are into sports, birds in flight, kids playing, cars
>motorcycle racing, wedding, low light rooms, then the Leica M9
>is not for you. A nice Nikon D300/D3/D700 would be much better
>no matter what anybody tells you.
>
>That leaves Leica for the light travel set who just takes
>pictures of stuff that is easy to focus and don't move around
>much. Nice idea but not for 90% of what I shoot.
>
>And, Leica is way overpriced.

No, one must have the best:

Leica S2 SLR Digital Camera Body with Dual Shutter System, 37.5 Megapixel, 3.0" LCD/OLED Display, Black

JUST: $24,000 -- Camera body, of course one already has the lenses.

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Sun 04-Oct-09 09:29 AM
#44. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 43

Canton, US

>No, one must have the best:
>
>Leica S2 SLR Digital Camera Body with Dual Shutter System,
>37.5 Megapixel, 3.0" LCD/OLED Display, Black
>
>JUST: $24,000 -- Camera body, of course one already has the
>lenses.

Well, let's put it in perspective. That's less money than a typical new car, and you don't need liability insurance with the Leica, nor have to register it with the state every year or need a license to use it.

Steve

mkosanovich Registered since 15th Mar 2009Sun 04-Oct-09 02:35 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 44

US

>>No, one must have the best:
>>
>>Leica S2 SLR Digital Camera Body with Dual Shutter
>System,
>>37.5 Megapixel, 3.0" LCD/OLED Display, Black
>>
>>JUST: $24,000 -- Camera body, of course one already has
>the
>>lenses.
>
>Well, let's put it in perspective. That's less money than a
>typical new car, and you don't need liability insurance with
>the Leica, nor have to register it with the state every year
>or need a license to use it.
>
>
>
>SSShhhhh! Don't give anybody any ideas about license and registration fees! If they can tax water they can tax film. Damn, now I did it!

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Sun 04-Oct-09 02:41 PM
#46. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 44

San carlos, US

$24,000 buys 2 very clean Porsche 911SC, an exceedingly nice 911 964, a decently clean Porsche 993. And if I had $24K, that is where my money would go. It certainly would not go toward a manual foucs Digital Ranger Fander that I can only take on travel.

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Mon 05-Oct-09 10:10 AM
#47. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 46

Canton, US

$24K for a pair of very used problematic over-rated sports cars? I'll take the Leica, thank you, and spend my car money on something reliable like a Honda.

Steve

Nhelgren Registered since 20th Dec 2006Mon 05-Oct-09 02:29 PM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#48. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 47

Sammamish, US

You could also use that to buy 48,000 tacos at Jack in the Box.

=====================
"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to take a picture, does it still produce an image?"

- Nathan

Rich Mc Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2004Tue 06-Oct-09 02:18 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#49. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 48

Long Beach, US

Ok, Porshe sports cars, tacos and Leica S2 SLR cameras...even though just a tad off topic I'm going to jump right in...I'm a Leica owner (Hi Rich, welcome to our meeting...). I have two M system cameras and two R system cameras. None are digital. I don't shoot film anymore and they all look so nice in the display case. I have, however, used the M cameras extensively over the years. I have to say they are a delight to use...BUT, I take better photos with SLRs. My go to camera over the years has always been a Nikon SLR. I don't own a Porsche...yet. I like tacos, although 48,000 of them might be just a little bit excessive...or not?

Cheers
Rich Mc

Rich Mc

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Tue 06-Oct-09 04:47 AM
#50. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 49

San carlos, US

>Ok, ...BUT,
>I take better photos with SLRs. My go to camera over the years
>has always been a Nikon SLR. ...>
>...

For a leica owner to say that, it is really telling ...

smb_ohio Registered since 18th Mar 2006Tue 06-Oct-09 10:00 AM
#51. "RE: Rumor has it...."

Canton, US

>BUT,
>I take better photos with SLRs. My go to camera over the years
>has always been a Nikon SLR. I don't own a Porsche...yet.

Perhaps this is just reflecting the fact that rangefinder cameras and slrs are two distinctly different tools that are better suited to different kinds of photographs?

I own both a hammer and a screwdriver, but I tend to get better results when I use the hammer to drive nails. But it's a really nice screwdriver!!!

Steve

Nhelgren Registered since 20th Dec 2006Tue 06-Oct-09 03:40 PM
#52. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 51

Sammamish, US

If I were a certain blogger I might say you must be using the screwdriver wrong. Any REALLY good screwdriver could pound in a nail if you just knew how to use it right.

=====================

- Nathan

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Wed 07-Oct-09 10:53 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#53. "RE: Rumor has it...."

Bogor, ID

Me too. My M6 is beautiful but gathers dust. Delighted to hear about the M9 as i know the market for the lenses will remain strong. I love the the handling of a Nikon SLR.

My M6 jammed on honeymoon but luckily I had my 35Ti with me....

Life and light wait for no man!

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

ianspector Registered since 03rd Jul 2006Fri 27-Nov-09 02:34 PM
1086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#57. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 53

GB

Dear Will,

I missed your comment that you are an M user. I have ordered an M9 and some fast Leica glass. I have no intention of getting rid of my D3 as I will continue to use it for sports with the 600VR, wildlife and macro. For travel, casual portraits and every day carry I will try and use the M. I was stopped by the police photographing in a deserted village street at 7pm within 3 minutes. They actually sent a car out and found me within three minutes. That really made me wish for something less obvious.

Yours,

Ian

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 27-Nov-09 02:41 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#58. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 57

Bogor, ID

. I was stopped by the police photographing in a deserted village street at 7pm within 3 minutes. They actually sent a car out and found me within three minutes.

Ian

Great to hear from you.................

Was this Kabul or Kingston?

I am now a D5K owner - and it is remarkably unobtrusive and a marvellous camera to boot...

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

ianspector Registered since 03rd Jul 2006Fri 27-Nov-09 02:46 PM
1086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#59. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 58

GB

It was Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire. I must be going through a retro phase, I am only flying old aircraft (De Havilland Chipmunk) and I do not get much pleasure at all in flying anything else. The M9 I guess is similar. As with tail draggers, it is harder to use but very sweet when you get it just right. Moreover, I did not enjoy going out for a walk with a D3 and big glass permanently strapped to my hand. The modern Nikon bodies are so outstanding both in terms of image quality and value. I just want similar image quality and a much more compact body that will be with me always.

Ian

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 27-Nov-09 02:53 PM
#60. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 59

Bogor, ID

I find it almost disturbing that the D5000 and kit lens are so user friendly... Beaches of Colombo... grab shots

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

ianspector Registered since 03rd Jul 2006Fri 27-Nov-09 02:55 PM
#61. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 60

GB

I have always like your 'human' style.

Ian

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 27-Nov-09 03:03 PM
#62. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 61

Bogor, ID

LOL it's all I have! Both photos were taken from the same spot? Lucky shots...

A few others in the hills are on www.willsymonds.blogspot.com..

Horrified by your "story" btw. We should discuss over ales some day.

Good night from Singapore!

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Mon 12-Oct-09 09:54 PM
#54. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 12-Oct-09 09:57 PM by ZoneV

US

It's closer to being certain now what will come in the next couple of days: the D3s, which will essentially be a D3 with some upgrades such as the upgraded buffer and video. There also could be a lens or two (possibly a fast prime) announced to accompany the D3s, but no one knows yet. Follow nikonrumors for details; he's going to post links to the official Nikon press release(s) as soon as it/they come out.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 13-Oct-09 02:59 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#55. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 54

AW

With a native ISO 12800, and extended ISO to 104000, Nikon is massaging this camera to make it the primary weapon of any sports/events shooter, IMO. Another reason for Canon 1D MkIII shooters to run to the promised land.

""

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 14-Oct-09 01:02 AM
4214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#56. "RE: Rumor has it...."
In response to Reply # 55

Alberta, CA

For my own low-light shooting, a one stop improvement is a ton of improvement. When you are shooting at the edge of achievability it could make a critical difference. Sometimes the difference between getting the shot and not at all. Or getting a moderate shot with some visible subject motion and getting a sharp keeper or better yet a show stopper

I am keen to see the reports and reviews of this. My hope is we eventually see these types of improvements in low light and dynamic range abilities rolled out across the line and especially on DX.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #63684 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.