nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #594
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lefties here?" Previous topic | Next topic
frankie Basic MemberSun 08-Oct-00 01:53 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lefties here?"

Yesterday I purchased the MB-15 verticle grip for my F100.

I didn't think it was going to be really that benificial to me as I don't use big glass nor do I need to shoot at 5fps.

In the store, however, I found an interesting way to use it that makes the F100 100% more stable...

I love flash, plain and simple, so I always have my sb-28 at the ready. When I'm taking pictures at events (my cousins - good practice), I put the SB-28 on a Stroboframe Quickflip.

I liked the QF because it's got a left hand-grip. But you rub into trouble when taking verticle shots as the left hand grip ends up horizontal and over the camera when at eye level.

I started shoving my finder into the groove on the left side by the ports of the F100 so I could hold the whole rig by the body... That was OK, but not great.

Using the Pro-RL in the store, I don't have enough of a right-hand-wrist to hold that much counter weight at one poin ton the camera.

So, I put the MB-15 on, and put it on the STroboframe QF with my SB28...

So, now, when used verticle, the camera operates with the verticle release facing the floor, and I can hold the whole rig with the verticle grip in my LEFT hand.

I then focus/zoom and shoot with my right like I do with my Med-format camera, with the shutter button facing right (and controlled with my right thumb).

What I think is neat is how well the whole thing balances with the grip used as I mentioned! It's pretty much effortless and impossible to inadvertantly loose grip on the entire setup!

Back in horizontal mode, I use the verticle as a base to focus with my left hand...Sometimes holding on to the Stroboframe grip...

Pretty neat, huh?

Cheeri'o...
Frankie...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

bbleigh Basic MemberTue 10-Oct-00 07:21 PM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lefties here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wendy L. Folse
http://www.suite101.com/myhome.cfm/wlfphoto

Lefties Unite!!

Finally a neat way to operate. Thanks for the left-handed tip. I will have to try this. I always havethe same problems and this seems like a great fix.

Merlin Basic MemberTue 24-Oct-00 08:25 AM
416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lefties here?"
In response to Reply # 1

Wendy, Frankie,

This sounds like a great idea. Left-handed folks aren't the only ones who might appreciate this.

Don't own a dedicated flash unit, but fortunately all of the potato-masher Metz flash units allow you to reverse the mounting bracket, putting the flash on the right hand side. For awesome lighting effects, two flash units can be attached to the same camera, one left, one right. However, feeling creative and adventurous, I tried this with my medium format SLR, a Mamiya 645. I got results, but with the weight of the 645, plus lens, plus motor, plus two Metz 45CT-1s, it felt like I was lifting a moped engine in front of my face!

Mike

Forums Lobby MULTILINGUAL NIKONIANS English Café (Public) topic #594 Previous topic | Next topic